PDA

View Full Version : 3-C beginner's luck!

phil in sofla
08-21-2004, 02:18 PM
Last night I finally took advantage of the best 3-C equipment in the county, heated Verhoeven tables with freshly waxed balls. (I've played at the Corner Pocket twice a week, minimum, for a couple of years, but always 9-ball until now).

Made my first carom (helped by my friend showing me the line), and THEN, followed that up with another point, my first multiple point run (2), by making essentially the same shot again! Sweet! (Enough to win the closing time foreshortened 'match' 2-1!)

I've been told by many people that 3-C will improve my pocket billiards game (kicking, safeing, etc.), and I'm sure that is true. My friend says that once I get into it, however, I'll play 3-C much more than pool, which I doubt (maybe 50-50, at most).

At a minimum, I'll have to learn the corner 5 system, return tracks and such, which I've toyed with but never gotten comfortable with.

Other than the chapters Byrne has, and the various Billiard Atlases mondo systems, are there any beginners resources you can point me to?

cueball1950
08-21-2004, 04:21 PM
Hi phil...are you coming up to the open this year. if so maybe we can hook up and play a little 3c. maybe i can show you a thing or 3..............................mike

Malice
08-21-2004, 05:15 PM
There is no 3C table in my town I'm aware of. But when I am practicing my myself, I shoot 3C patterns a lot.

141and3c
08-21-2004, 08:31 PM
I highly recommend Systematic Billiards by Alan Gilbert. Its about $12 but worth many times that. I bought other books included Hoppes' off of ebay and finally got Gilberts book, and should have gotten it first.
Most Elks Lodges througout the country have billiard tables and tournaments. You don't have to be a member to play in their tournaments or just watch. Go to usacarom.org or caromtv.com and watch live action 24 7 in NY. It will help your pool game.

phil in sofla
08-22-2004, 11:17 AM
Yes, I'm coming up, and I'll look forward to that!

dmgwalsh
08-23-2004, 04:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 141and3c:</font><hr> I highly recommend Systematic Billiards by Alan Gilbert. Its about $12 but worth many times that. <hr /></blockquote>

I went to amazon, but couldn't find that book or author listed? Do you know where it is sold?

SPetty
08-23-2004, 10:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> Do you know where it is sold? <hr /></blockquote>On Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001BVWI2/102-4007180-3456904?v=glance

Rod
08-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Just ask our helpful librarian. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Our motto, you want it she finds it! LOL

recoveryjones
08-23-2004, 10:37 AM
Running out is of course fun, however, nothing satisfies me in pool more than getting out of a real good hook, with a great kick shot.It can shake your opponent and definitly swing the momentum in a match.

I've got videos with kick systems that have helped and now I'm going to order a copy of that book. Thanks for the recomendation.RJ

dmgwalsh
08-23-2004, 10:57 AM
thanks for the link. Think I'll get it. There's a billiards table at our club and the owner has threatened to show me a few things. Dennis

141and3c
08-23-2004, 06:40 PM
I've been playing for a year or so, and have some advice: Get some paper hole covers (paper Axx holes) and set up shots &amp; mark all 3 to play over and over. IMPORTANT: Speed is everything in 3C. Practice the same shot with soft, medium and hard to see different results.......