PDA

View Full Version : Faster Simonis 860 speed

drawshot
08-21-2004, 04:48 PM
I have Simonis 860 now. But I find it is quite slow when compared to the Local pool hall I play at.

Is there anything I can do to speed up the play of the cloth?

Billy
08-21-2004, 05:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote drawshot:</font><hr> I have Simonis 860 now. But I find it is quite slow when compared to the Local pool hall I play at.

Is there anything I can do to speed up the play of the cloth? <hr /></blockquote>

860 will slow up considerably when not tight

jmo

Rod
08-21-2004, 05:53 PM
How old is it? If not tight it will slow down. Does the cloth move or push up at all if you push your palm across it? Is the rail speed ok? Is the cloth tight on the rails? Sometimes rail speed is mistaken for slow cloth. If you made a cheap stimp meter you could test both. JAT

Rod

dg-in-centralpa
08-21-2004, 06:42 PM
Is the cloth dirty? If I don't keep mine clean, it will slow down. My local poolhall has 760 Simonis and I have 860. I think on the 760, the cueball slides more. It seems a little quicker.

DG - not a pro at these things, just my honest opinion

Chris Cass
08-21-2004, 07:07 PM
There's so many things that can slow up the cloth, including humidity.

Regards,

C.C.

drawshot
08-21-2004, 07:51 PM
My installer tried to get it as tight as possible...I presume that the cloth is tight too cause the cloth does
not move when I put my bridging hand across it.

I've even tried to iron it when it is clean.
any other recomendations...I have heard of spraying pledge on it... but will this make a mess?

SecaucusFats
08-21-2004, 09:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote drawshot:</font><hr> My installer tried to get it as tight as possible...I presume that the cloth is tight too cause the cloth does
not move when I put my bridging hand across it.

I've even tried to iron it when it is clean.
any other recomendations...I have heard of spraying pledge on it... but will this make a mess?

<hr /></blockquote>

If you have cleaned the cloth thoroughly, given it time to dry completely,the humidity in your game room is within normal limits, yet it still plays slow, then you should look at the conditon of the balls. Wash them, dry them thoroughly and then use a good ball polish like Aramith. You can also use a good automotive wax to polish them. If you really want to get 'em rolling try pure silicone spray applied first to a towel and then to the balls ( this is quite a common practice in 3C and Artistic Billiards).

I would not spray the cloth itself with anything not made specifically for pool tables.

SF

Chris Cass
08-22-2004, 08:23 AM
Hi Fats,

I've heard that Windex is good for the cloth as tightening goes. However, I'm thinking the humidity and possible your suggestion on cleaning the balls will help.

Seems, 860 isn't all that fast anyway. Could be in he's stroke? I know from personal experience that if I tend to get over zellas and hold my back hand too tight. The cb doesn't do much of anything. I'm most likely wrong but I refuse to think it's always the equipment.

No, disrespect intended towards the shooter and I think it is the humidity levels that hurt most of the time.

Regards,

C.C.~~good to see you back posting some.

Barbara
08-22-2004, 08:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote drawshot:</font><hr>
Is there anything I can do to speed up the play of the cloth? <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, replace it with Simonis 760 or Granito 2000.

But seriously, when I had my table installed, I had 860 put on it. I thought it was slow too so I had it replaced with 760 about a year later.

Barbara

Terry
08-22-2004, 09:01 AM
Hi Barbara, is the 760 much faster and does it play the same as 860 except for the speed? I also find my 860 cloth slow and I have a dehumidifier in my room to help with the humidity issue. Thanks, Terry

Barbara
08-22-2004, 09:05 AM
Terry,

It plays the same as 860 but it is faster. I find that I have an easier time adjusting to slower cloth than adjusting to a faster cloth, that's why I went with 760.

Barbara

Terry
08-22-2004, 09:14 AM
Barbara, I agree that it's harder to play on faster cloth so i'd like my cloth to be as fast as possible and i'll probably make the switch to 760 cloth in the coming year. Thanks, Terry

Rod
08-22-2004, 10:34 AM
Like I mentioned earlier, is the rail speed ok? Outside of humidity, rail height and speed is the next thing that makes a table play slow. Even new cushions can play slow depending on the manufacturer. There is a lot of junk out there. Who made your table/cushions and whats at the pool room? Never assume there all the same. If the installed height is to high it pinches the balls under the rail and will slow it dowm considerably. I've seen it many times.
So which is it, rail speed or bed speed?

On a last note 860 is not real fast cloth so do what you can to make playing conditions as best you can. It should not be necessary to Iron the cloth. That tells me there is other problems.

Rod