PDA

View Full Version : Flying with cues?

Terry
08-22-2004, 08:56 AM
I was wondering if anyone has any advice on flying with regards to my cues. I would like to carry my cues on the plane and have them with me in the over head compartment. Is this standard practice for pool players or are they forced to send their cue case to the luggage compartment? If I can't take them on board with me ( which I would like to know before I get to the airport ) I would like to put the whole cue case in a suitcase amongst my clothes so it'll be harder to misplace ( I hope ). Thanks, Terry

Barbara
08-22-2004, 09:02 AM
Sorry Terry, but you cannot take your cues with you onto the plane.

Last time I went to Vegas, I went out and specifically bought a suitcase big enough to hold my case. I couldn't stand to just put the case on the plane even though I had a case cover for it.

Barbara

Terry
08-22-2004, 09:18 AM
I kinda figured that I couldn't carry my case on board. I'll be looking for a suitcase big enough to fit my cue case as well. Thanks, Terry

RedHell
08-22-2004, 09:22 AM
As Barbara said, you can no longer take a case as carry-on. I know that many will ship their cues (FEDEX/UPS) in advance to their destination.

When I travel, I use a very cheap cuetec 2X4 (I'm still waiting for my Talisman 3X5) and wrap it with my suite case(the long one that folds in half and carry proper suites). I also wrap my cuecase strap around the suite case handle to make sure it doesn't slide out. This serve 2 purpose, first it kinda stealth my cue case, and reduces the chances of handlers noticing it and be tempted to take the cue out of it. Also it make the whole thing bigger and is less likely to fall off a carrying trolly or the conveyor belt wich is most of the time the reason for lost luggages.

I have no case big enough to put my cuecase in so that was my solution.

SecaucusFats
08-22-2004, 03:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Terry:</font><hr> I was wondering if anyone has any advice on flying with regards to my cues. I would like to carry my cues on the plane and have them with me in the over head compartment. Is this standard practice for pool players or are they forced to send their cue case to the luggage compartment? If I can't take them on board with me ( which I would like to know before I get to the airport ) I would like to put the whole cue case in a suitcase amongst my clothes so it'll be harder to misplace ( I hope ). Thanks, Terry <hr /></blockquote>

I ship my cues via UPS (air), I don't want to take chances with some sticky fingered baggage or 'security' person stealing them. I shipped all my teams cues, via UPS next day air, to the Business Center at the Riviera Hotel in Las Vegas. The box is kept in a secure room and when we arrive there tomorrow all I need to do is present my ID to pick 'em up. I also insured them for $5000 (just in case).

SF

Terry
08-23-2004, 06:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> As Barbara said, you can no longer take a case as carry-on. I know that many will ship their cues (FEDEX/UPS) in advance to their destination.

<hr /></blockquote>

I also insured them for $5000 (just in case).

SF

Thanks, Red &amp; SF. I'll have to look into sending my cues (FEDEX/UPS) in advance as well as insuring them. Thanks, Terry

Jimmy B
08-24-2004, 10:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Sorry Terry, but you cannot take your cues with you onto the plane.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>
The odd thing about this is here in CT before you go through the metal detectors and strip search there is a huge poster that lists what you CAN'T take on a plane. Cues is right there on the list. Knowing this I pack my stuff in a giant duffle bag clothes surrounding my cue case for extra protection. In any event when traveling to the BCA this year in May I had a connecting flight in Minnesota and while waiting for my flight to Vegas there were 4 guys with cue cases. So I guess they thought I was a dumbass when I approached them and said "what's in there?" The guy says "A pool cue, I'm going to a tournament in Vegas." I said I know it's a pool cue and I know where you're going but I thought you're not supposed to take it on a plane, the guy again looks at me like I'm a fool and says "I have been going to Vegas for 10 years and I always take my pool cue." So I just let it end assuming that the news of 9-11 hasn't reached the state of a million ponds yet and got on the plane. Anyway it seems in some places they will still let you take it on board if they look inside first. I wondered what type of a fight the guy had leaving Vegas with it and trying to carry it on, because the Vegas airport Nazi's are the worst.

JB

Paul_Mon
08-24-2004, 12:09 PM
It sure is odd what is allowed at some airports is not at others. I was flying out of Rochester recently and a guy boarded my flight with a two piece fishing pole sticking out the top of his carry on back pack. Dosen't make much sense to me how this fish pole differs from a cue stick when used as a weapon. FWII, I use a hard-shell golf club case to transport my cues and fish poles.

Paul Mon

9 Ball Girl
08-24-2004, 12:24 PM
The first time I traveled with my cues was when I took them with me to the Open last year and I put the whole case in a Joe Porper Traveling Bag which I had to check in. I couldn't put a lock on it 'cause as you know, that's no longer allowed. When I landed in Norfolk and got my bags, I opened it up and the cues were in the slots where I always put them in, but I could tell that the case had been opened, both on top where the cues go and the 2 pockets 'cause the zippers weren't closed all the way. Same thing for my clothes too.

I left from LaGuardia Airport last year and in checking in my suitcase and Porper bag, I had a mini conversation with one of the employees that helps you with checking in:

Guy: So what do you have in there.
Me: Pool cues.
Guy: You play?
Me: A little. Can you tell me why fishing rods are allowed and pool cues aren't?
Guy: Well you can use a pool cue as a weapon.
Me: I could use a pen as a weapon too.
Guy: Don't say that too loud. It might get people nervous. (laughs)
Me: No biggie. It just doesn't make sense is all.
Guy: Well, have a nice flight.
Me: Gee thanks.

I'll be doing the same thing again this year.

Deeman2
08-24-2004, 01:23 PM
People,

It is a well known fact that pool cues are the greatest danger to the traveling public on a commercial airliner. There has been a noticible surge in the purchase of high end cues by Snake Handling Baptist extreamists in recent months. Other groups had abandoned their initial plan of taking over a 747 with fishing rods when, a closely guarded practice session was held and the fishing rods bent in the middle when jabbed into the bellies of unsuspecting flight attendants. Asad Asad "The Nuts" Huiysein has boasted openly that, "We will gain control of the Godless infidel's aircraft by jabbing a pointy, 5/16-18 joint bolt up into the nasal cavity of the brazenly dressed flight attendant thereby leading her to the cockpit under our complete control and using the multi-layered tip end of a 314 shaft to cojole the pilot into crashing into The Pasttime Billiard Hall and Barber Shop in Murfreesboro in Tennessee. For this we will be rewarded with 22 near virgins (some may have been involved in heavy petting on occasion) and we will bath in the blood and chalk of our victims. Oh, have a nice day, Sir. Would you also care for a Slurpee with that corn dog?"

More seriously, I do on occasion, ship my cues but with all the hassle, I'd rather drive 14 hours than fly for 3.

Deeman

Rod
08-24-2004, 01:54 PM
LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Another group has formed disguised as golf pro's. With cunning accuracy they knock out attendants from 30 yards. Haju Haju Lillysime noted hooker bends one around the forward cabin to konk out an officer. A deadly group and if necessary they pull off the slip on grip to expose a long pointed staff. Beware of mid east golf pro's in a group.

I agree Dee, I'd rather drive.

Rod

Paul_Mon
08-25-2004, 04:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> The first time I traveled with my cues was when I took them with me to the Open last year and I put the whole case in a Joe Porper Traveling Bag which I had to check in. I couldn't put a lock on it 'cause as you know, that's no longer allowed. When I landed in Norfolk and got my bags, I opened it up and the cues were in the slots where I always put them in, but I could tell that the case had been opened, both on top where the cues go and the 2 pockets 'cause the zippers weren't closed all the way. Same thing for my clothes too.

<font color="blue"> They now put a label on anything that they've opened and inspected. </font color>

I left from LaGuardia Airport last year and in checking in my suitcase and Porper bag, I had a mini conversation with one of the employees that helps you with checking in:

Guy: So what do you have in there.
Me: Pool cues.
Guy: You play?
Me: A little. Can you tell me why fishing rods are allowed and pool cues aren't?
Guy: Well you can use a pool cue as a weapon.
Me: I could use a pen as a weapon too.
Guy: Don't say that too loud. It might get people nervous. (laughs)
Me: No biggie. It just doesn't make sense is all.
Guy: Well, have a nice flight.
Me: Gee thanks.

I'll be doing the same thing again this year. <hr /></blockquote>

catscradle
08-25-2004, 05:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> People,

It is a well known fact that pool cues are the greatest danger to the traveling public on a commercial airliner. There has been a noticible surge in the purchase of high end cues by Snake Handling Baptist extreamists in recent months. Other groups had abandoned their initial plan of taking over a 747 with fishing rods when, a closely guarded practice session was held and the fishing rods bent in the middle when jabbed into the bellies of unsuspecting flight attendants. Asad Asad "The Nuts" Huiysein has boasted openly that, "We will gain control of the Godless infidel's aircraft by jabbing a pointy, 5/16-18 joint bolt up into the nasal cavity of the brazenly dressed flight attendant thereby leading her to the cockpit under our complete control and using the multi-layered tip end of a 314 shaft to cojole the pilot into crashing into The Pasttime Billiard Hall and Barber Shop in Murfreesboro in Tennessee. For this we will be rewarded with 22 near virgins (some may have been involved in heavy petting on occasion) and we will bath in the blood and chalk of our victims. Oh, have a nice day, Sir. Would you also care for a Slurpee with that corn dog?"
<hr /></blockquote>

LOL!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

More seriously, I do on occasion, ship my cues but with all the hassle, I'd rather drive 14 hours than fly for 3.

Deeman
<hr /></blockquote>
Me too, can't get my wife to agree though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

catscradle
08-25-2004, 05:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr>
<font color="blue"> They now put a label on anything that they've opened and inspected. </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

They clearly went through my suitcase in which I had put my cue going to Vegas from Boston and there was no label placed on it.

Deeman2
08-25-2004, 07:07 AM
Catscradle &amp; Rod:

We have done our job and warned everyone. I have watched the Twilight Zone, Airport 1975 and Con Air and don't want my sticks down in the hold of an airplane.

Deeman

Chris Cass
08-25-2004, 07:35 AM
Hi Terry,

I bought one of those travel cue cases from Mueller and I put my JJustis case with cues in there along with my wifes cue case and had just enough room for my sons cue too. This is after putting bubble wrap around the entire case. It worked well and although these baggage handlers are or think they're basket ball players. They came back still in tact. LOL Cost me like $40. and it works and looks great as I'll use them again to VA this yr.

Regards,

C.C.

9 Ball Girl
08-25-2004, 08:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr><font color="blue"> They now put a label on anything that they've opened and inspected.</font color><hr /></blockquote> <font color="red">Well yeah the label was affixed to my bags when I was checked in Norfolk on the way back. But not from NY. Unless NY is doing that now but I could tell that when I got to Norfolk my stuff had been handled. However, when I came back to NY, my stuff was just as I had left it and I'm sure it's because Norfolk labeled that it had been checked.</font color>

Paul_Mon
08-25-2004, 09:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr>

<hr /></blockquote>

They clearly went through my suitcase in which I had put my cue going to Vegas from Boston and there was no label placed on it.
<hr /></blockquote>

Somebody went through your suitcase but it may not have been inspectors. Unfortunately, there always has been a certain amount of pilfering by baggage handlers.

Paul Mon~~~~ever been pilfered???

catscradle
08-25-2004, 09:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr>

<hr /></blockquote>

<hr /></blockquote>

Somebody went through your suitcase but it may not have been inspectors. Unfortunately, there always has been a certain amount of pilfering by baggage handlers.

Paul Mon~~~~ever been pilfered??? <hr /></blockquote>

Well in that case I'm glad they didn't recognize the value of a $1200.00 Webb Cue. The zipper on the case in the bag was open when it arrived so they definitely looked at the cue. I guess they were connoisseurs and not interested in the Webb. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
OMG, I didn't count my underware upon arrival, think that was what they were really after?

cuechick
08-25-2004, 10:00 AM
Hi,
I have a few suggestions, Joe Porper makes a great travel case, which I love... porper travel cases (http://www.porper.com/index.cfm/fuseAction/Catalog.Category/categoryID/17.cfm?CFID=700307&amp;CFTOKEN=44576efbf800afd1-96B3591F-20ED-7D0A-C08E071EA59BB75C)
Also I have been able to carry my bag on with no problem, just by not saying anything. I just decided to try and put it through, since I had plenty of time to go back and check it if they made me. No one said a thing and I carried it right on last time I flew with it. If you get through security and then they make you check it at the gate, all the better, since I believe it goes in a special place.
It helps to have an honest face...I never get stopped for anything. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris Cass
08-25-2004, 11:38 AM
Hi Cuechick,

Yep, that's the one I bought and I also couldn't get past security. They made me return to check it in as baggage but everything went just fine. Good case imho

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
08-25-2004, 12:44 PM
The one I bought last year was the smaller one which is the one that I'll be using again this year. I have a 2x4 Porper case and I hope that I'll be able to fit my 2x2 case that I'm donating to the tourney. Yikes!

wantsumrice
08-25-2004, 07:54 PM
What about flying in for vacation? I'm leaving for San Jose tomorrow morning and I REALLY want to bring my cue... Should I just do the "check-in" thing?

~ivan

Terry
08-25-2004, 08:02 PM
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the ideas. If my cues are going on a luggage belt then I think i'll do what Barbara done and if I can't find a suitcase big enough for my instroke, I have a cheap falcon case which is smaller. I'll wrap my cues in the bubble wrap though, and then maybe put a shirt on them /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Terry

Chris Cass
08-25-2004, 08:11 PM
Hi Terry,

I was doing the same very thing she suggested when I went to Vegas last time. I went to Walmart looking for something nice but cheap. Turned out that I'd be spending vertually the same amount. So I opt'd for the Porper travel case. I liked that it was smaller and I even put a small lock on the zipper latches? The holes were just made for a lock.
It worked well and was pretty nice. IMHO My luggage wasn't big enough for the case but the cues fit too tight for my liking. Besides, I brought enough clothes to last for the 10 days or so. I was already pushing too much weight. The case loaded was really not bad weight wise at all. JAT

Regards,

C.C.

Terry
08-25-2004, 08:19 PM
Hi Cuechick,

Thanks for the link to the travel case but I don't think i'll get one at this time. I don't want any hassels with security or any more running around than I have to at the airport so I won't try and walk through with my cues. My travel agent made two calls on the matter to the airlines and was told maybe on the first call and told NO on the second call, so I wasn't sure what to do. Thanks, Terry

Terry
08-25-2004, 08:27 PM
Hi Chris,

If I thought I was going to get to use the travel case a couple of times a year or so, I'd probably order one tomorrow, but I don't know if or when I might be traveling on a plane with cues again. Thanks, Terry

SPetty
08-26-2004, 10:50 AM
I made this thing a few years ago to carry my cue case in:

http://members.aol.com/iheart8ball/pics/case.jpg

It's made out of big PVC with one end glued on and the other end is removable, and held in place with a bar and some clips. The duct tape around the whole thing is to keep the pieces together when the airlines break it. The dog collars are held in place by rivets.

I've used it several times with no problems at all. It's been opened for inspection once that I know of and they put a sticker on it showing that they'd opened it. One time it didn't come out of the baggage handler, but then I discovered another place where they put the golf bags and it was there. I hope my new Talisman case fits in it!

Something to think about if you're packing your cues in your bag: If the bag is big enough to hold your cue case, it's likely on the bottom of every pile of bags, with smaller bags on top exerting special forces to the middle of your bag.

9 Ball Girl
08-26-2004, 12:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>I hope my new Talisman case fits in it!<hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif