PDA

View Full Version : Spot question

Karatemom
08-22-2004, 02:08 PM
Let's say your opponent is spotting you 2 balls wild in a race of 9 ball. That means you get the 7, 8, 9 ball wild, correct? Now, your opponent intentionally, in the middle of the game, shoots one your wild balls in the pocket, and gives you ball in hand. Does that ball spot, or does it stay down? Same goes for a roll out, if he pockets one of your wild balls on a roll out, does that spot or stay down? (Excluding the 9 ball of course, that always spots)

This was a question that came up at the ph last night and just interested.

Heide ~ not a gambler, just curious

Fasteddy7
08-22-2004, 02:21 PM
Heide, how you doing? I would not word it the way you did "2 balls wild" I am assuming you mean wild 7 and 8. no balls are spotted except the nine! actually pushing out and making one of these balls is a good idea. But if your giving up that much weight you wouldnt want to do this too many times. It just frustrates the oppenent. (unless thats what your trying to do, hehe) You can always spot someone the last three balls which takes away from making one on the break and combos.........Later, Fast

Rod
08-22-2004, 02:37 PM
Hi there Karatemom,

First of all it can be any two balls unless it's specified the last two wild. As far as any balls being spotted that's agreed on before the game starts.

Rod

BoBB
08-22-2004, 03:24 PM
Hey ... not to sound dumb but im not up on the gambling lingo heh ... what exactly does it mean when someone spots you 2 balls?

BillPorter
08-22-2004, 03:36 PM
I believe the most accepted rule for this would be that the balls would be spotted. After all, they are MONEY balls. Maybe not for your opponent, but for you. Turn it around and ask yourself what would happen if you just shot the nine-ball into the pocket and gave your opponent ball-in-hand when his only money ball was no longer on the table. Silly, right? Just as silly as letting him pocket YOUR money ball on a foul and not spotting it. JMHO.

Fasteddy7
08-22-2004, 03:54 PM
If you spot the other balls you are in a sense changing the rules. The rules say no ball is spotted except the nine. Why would you change the rules? Only if YOU were getting the weight,lol. I get and give weight alot and I never have had anyone argue that the extra money balls get spotted. jmo.....Fast

Fasteddy7
08-22-2004, 03:59 PM
I dont word it that way? 2 balls? what 2 balls. If someone gets the last two, then if that player makes one of the last two balls he/she wins. it could be the 8-9 or it could be the 6-9 as long as they are the last two balls on the table. Now if someone gives you the 7-8 (i.e 7-out) you can combo the 7 or 8 just like they are the nine-ball. You can also make them on the break..........Fast

pooltchr
08-22-2004, 04:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BoBB:</font><hr> Hey ... not to sound dumb but im not up on the gambling lingo heh ... what exactly does it mean when someone spots you 2 balls? <hr /></blockquote>

This is a way of handicapping a match. If I give you the 7 and 8, you would win by pocketing either the 7, 8 or 9 with a legal shot. Slight difference if I spot you the last two. Then if say the 8 was made on the break, you can win by pocketing either of the last two balls when the game gets down to that point.

Karatemom
08-22-2004, 05:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fasteddy7:</font><hr> Heide, how you doing? I would not word it the way you did "2 balls wild" I am assuming you mean wild 7 and 8. no balls are spotted except the nine! actually pushing out and making one of these balls is a good idea. But if your giving up that much weight you wouldnt want to do this too many times. It just frustrates the oppenent. (unless thats what your trying to do, hehe) You can always spot someone the last three balls which takes away from making one on the break and combos.........Later, Fast <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, I did mean spotting the 7, 8 wild. Sorry. I don't gamble and know the lingo but obviously, don't know how to use it, LOL. I didn't think they were spotted either, and I wasn't there during the discussion between the two players. Their match was not played because the lesser player didn't understand the rules, which was smart on his part. He asked us this question last night about spotting the money balls and thought I'd post it here to see what kind of a response I got.

Heide

Karatemom
08-22-2004, 05:44 PM
Sorry, Rod. I meant to say the wild 7, 8. I was trying to be as general as possible, but I guess I should have been more specific. Damn, it's a good thing I don't gamble, huh? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Heide

stickman
08-22-2004, 06:11 PM
As I've always played it, wild balls stay down. If someone gives me the wild 7 for instance, if I rack, I make sure to not rack the seven on the wings. I don't want him to drop my spot on the break. If my opponent plays a combo and pockets the wild ball, it stays down. I've never seen someone intentionally shooting the wild ball in out of turn and giving ball in hand. If they are good enough to give me the spot, they probably won't get in that position anyway. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AndreaWilson
08-22-2004, 06:12 PM
While I have not seen it in writing, I have found it to be widely accepted that the "Wild Ball(s)" should always be racked immediately behind the one ball. Those two spots are the least likely spots for balls to be pocketed from on the break. They do get spotted if pocketed on a pushout. Many many strategies come into play both for the stronger and the weaker players. The spotted players need to try and protect their money balls from an opponent combo-ing on them early to get them off the table and yet that will be a strong objective of the stronger player to reduce the "risks". This gets too deep to go any further. Good luck!

Leviathan
08-22-2004, 06:28 PM
Hi, Bill:

None of this handicapping stuff is written in stone; the terminology and accepted practice change from town to town and even from room to room. It would be convenient if we were all on the same page on handicapping issues, but that isn't the way pool works. The inconvenient reality is that you come to agreement with your opponents before play begins or you waste your time in senseless wrangling.

I agree that the spot is bigger if the money balls come up, but I see bigger spot versus smaller spot only as a negotiable matter of business. If one negotiates a deal he's happy with, he plays; otherwise he passes.

AS

Rod
08-22-2004, 06:58 PM
No need to be sorry Heide. It's just part of learning. I should have said if nothing is stated up front, then a player can just shoot in an opponents money ball. Course the one receiving the spot may not take kindly to that but they do get BIH.

Nothing is carved in stone in this game so if one gambles they better get it right up front. On a push generally the ball spots back up but once again it's not carved in stone.

Rod

Bob_Jewett
08-22-2004, 07:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr>... I should have said if nothing is stated up front, then a player can just shoot in an opponents money ball.... <hr /></blockquote>
I disagree with this on general principles. If the two players involved in a game do not agree on the rules, there is no game. The spottee might say, "You foul my money ball in, you lose, that's the way Joe and I always play." Then what happens?

Rod
08-22-2004, 09:21 PM
You can always shoot in an opponents ball out of order, it is a foul. Whether or not it stays down goes back to my original post, it has to be agreed on before the game starts. That brings up the issue of your question, and it will happen unless the one receiving doesn't know better. When there are no rules specified anything can happen.

Rod

woody_968
08-23-2004, 01:27 PM
I will try to make things real confusing and explain how we do it around my town /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Player A is giving player B the wild 8 ball.

Player A makes the 8 with a legal shot - stays down - duh.

Player A makes the 8 on a foul or a push - the 8 spots up.

Player B makes the 8 with a legal shot - he wins - duh.

Player B makes the 8 on a foul or push - the 8 stays down.

Basically player A cant take the spot off the table with an illegal shot. But player B doesnt get to spot a ball that he fouled on (makeing player A run more balls) just because he is getting weight. Seems to work out well and be fair to both players.

Rod
08-23-2004, 03:30 PM
Woody,

That's the way it's generally played but there are creative rule makers.

Rod

iusedtoberich
08-23-2004, 04:31 PM
I also insist on playing the way Woody described. That way it is fair to both players, and you can play by the same set of rules when you are getting or giving spots. I also play all money balls spot on the break, regardless of who broke or if a foul was committed.