PDA

View Full Version : Is Pool a seasonal sport?

Stretch
08-22-2004, 03:35 PM
You wouldn't think so because it's an indoor sport. Even so, i find it real hard to put the time into it in the summer and enjoy other activities more. Come the fall though i'm itching to get back to leaugue play and tournaments. For me it's more a cyclical thing, where every year you can start with a clean slate, and for me, renewed optomism! haha Yet i know many serious players that play tournaments year round so they're basicaly playing none stop. It shows, they're tuff customers on the table. So i was just wondering.......How do some of you people approach the game. As a year round pursuit or more a seasonal activity? St~~hopeing to peak around May~~

TommyT
08-22-2004, 03:51 PM
In the months of April thru September because I have a Gold Crown in my basement I try to play every day for about an hour. If I miss a day it's no big deal. I also don't go to the pool hall or play any buddies at my house. Strictly practice. During these months I spend way to much time on the golf course and working on my golf game.
Come October I'm on the phone calling to match up and begin going to the pool hall again. I love this game to much to give it up for any length of time.
TommyT

Fred Agnir
08-22-2004, 04:29 PM
It's mostly a seasonal sport for me. I don't play much at all in the summer.

Fred

houseman
08-22-2004, 05:20 PM
Just ask any pool room owner we`ll tell ya.
Ive had summers so bad I actually almost lost me business.
$30.00 TO $40.00 a day for weeks at a time. Its scarey !!!!

Barbara
08-22-2004, 06:26 PM
Well Stretch,

Pete and I bought a bigger sailboat two years ago and, weather permitting, we're out on it whenever we can, even if to just motor around. Needless to say, pool takes a back seat during boating season. Besides, I have to kinda get my desire back. But that's another story.

Hey! We're going up to Bar Harbor Maine this week so I'll wave in your general direction from Cadillac Mountain! Glad to hear all is well with you good friend!

Barbara

stickman
08-22-2004, 06:34 PM
I play year around, but I'm not typical. During the summer when there is golf, softball, baseball, tennis, fishing, vacations, and countless other summer activities, poolhalls struggle. Tournaments are poorly attended during the summer. The good part of the year is just about to begin!

Stretch
08-22-2004, 06:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Well Stretch,

Pete and I bought a bigger sailboat two years ago and, weather permitting, we're out on it whenever we can, even if to just motor around. Needless to say, pool takes a back seat during boating season. Besides, I have to kinda get my desire back. But that's another story.

Hey! We're going up to Bar Harbor Maine this week so I'll wave in your general direction from Cadillac Mountain! Glad to hear all is well with you good friend!

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Sweetie! Yes the summer seems to be way too short to be hideing away at a pool table eh? Plus you've got all that other stuff on your plate too. Don't blame you for taking up sailing and working on a tan.

Bar Harbour Main. What are you lost? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif OK at least get the name right so you and pete can blend in with the natives. It's not Bar Harbout Main, it's Bah Hahba Main.

Oh Thanks for the well wishes, everyone here's been great. I can't believe how many regulars are still....you know....REGULAR after all these years. Who'd a thunk it. St~~trys not to think to much~~

Rod
08-22-2004, 07:11 PM
Summertime can be the pits, huh. Man could it get lonely. We had summer leagues, had it not been for that and some regulars I'd been well into the red. As you know where it's seasonal, um snow and stuff, people have been couped up all winter. They want out. Here in AZ it's not so bad cause people can do most anything in the winter.

Rod

Barbara
08-22-2004, 07:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> It's not Bar Harbout Main, it's Bah Hahba Main.

Oh Thanks for the well wishes, everyone here's been great. I can't believe how many regulars are still....you know....REGULAR after all these years. Who'd a thunk it. St~~trys not to think to much~~ <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, Pete and I are practicing on how to lose the "AAHRS" with the nieces and nephews and general family today. We were recounting this commercial for "Bahstan" that was instructing visitors on "hah ta speahk" while visiting. Pretty funny commercial. But I'm one leg up since Pete's Mom is from "Mahsachusattes" and is alwahys calling me "Bahbrah".

BTW, "Bahbrah" vs the Uncles III on our yearly get-together - Me 5, Paul 3, Philip 1 at cutthroat. I still rule!!

Barbara

dg-in-centralpa
08-22-2004, 07:19 PM
In my area, we only had summer leagues 2 out the last 25 years. Too much competition with golf, vacations, softball leagues, and people just needing a break. I would love summer leagues to stay in shape. I know of one, but I'd have to drive 50 miles one way. Not close enough for me.

DG - can't wait for leagues to start

Stretch
08-22-2004, 07:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> It's not Bar Harbout Main, it's Bah Hahba Main.

Oh Thanks for the well wishes, everyone here's been great. I can't believe how many regulars are still....you know....REGULAR after all these years. Who'd a thunk it. St~~trys not to think to much~~ <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, Pete and I are practicing on how to lose the "AAHRS" with the nieces and nephews and general family today. We were recounting this commercial for "Bahstan" the was instructing visitors on "hah ta speahk" while visiting. Pretty funny commercial. But I'm one leg up since Pete's Mom is from "Mahsachusattes" and is alwahys calling me "Bahbrah".

BTW, "Bahbrah" vs the Uncles III on our yearly get-together - Me 5, Paul 3, Philip 1 at cutthroat. I still rule!!

Barbara

<hr /></blockquote>

It's funny about dialects. My daughters still live out in the Country here and picking up the way they speak of course. So now before eating they say "i've got to 'warsh' my hands, as i cringe. THERE IS NO R IN WASH!! sigh.....least they're clean. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St

kenz54
08-22-2004, 08:21 PM
I play pool 4 times a week all year round. It does not mean I am good....I just keep trying to get better one day at a time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
08-22-2004, 10:06 PM
But I do slow down in the summer. I only play 3 days a week.

The rest of the year is more like 4 or 5 days.

Chris Cass
08-22-2004, 10:41 PM
Hi Stretch,

For me it's all yr round but many of my friends are golfers too. So, you won't see much of them till it's colder outside or when it rains. I'm not talking drizzle but hard rain. lol

I hate myself somedays when it's so nice out. So, I'll get my fix sometimes in the Am on the those days when it's really nice. The tourney actions a bit slow too.

Regards,

C.C.~~loves the outdoors but loves pool too. tough love. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Dagwood
08-23-2004, 01:38 PM
I try to play year round, but it's a little more difficult durring the summer, due to the aforementioned plethora (10 cent word of the day), of things to do. Plus, I get a little peeved durring the summer when poolhalls try to save money on their power bill by turning off the A/C, and opening the doors, letting all the humidity in from the outside. Makes playing on the equipment very much un-enjoyable. It was really bad in GA...would have to wipe my cue down after every shot, not to mention my bridge hand would be drenched with a pasty chalk/condensation mixture every time I would take a shot. Not too much fun there...Otherwise, I would play year round...consistantly.

Dags

woody_968
08-23-2004, 03:24 PM
Untill this year it was always seasonal for me, I used to play alot of golf (was down to a 4 handicap) but got tired of feeling like I was starting over with pool every year so I felt I had to make a choice. I have only played golf one time this year, and that was with my son. I have been surprised by how many decided to stay inside and play pool this year, I get a game pretty much every day I go to the room.

JPB
08-23-2004, 08:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houseman:</font><hr> Just ask any pool room owner we`ll tell ya.
Ive had summers so bad I actually almost lost me business.
$30.00 TO $40.00 a day for weeks at a time. Its scarey !!!! <hr /></blockquote>

Used to hear stories about a room owner in Denver who would sell his room on a contract about april or may and take it back in october. Buyer would see it in hjan and feb when it was packed and then close the deal in the spring. Room owner'd get a nice vacation over the summer and then come back to the good part of the year. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dunno if it is really true, but if it is an exaggeration there is some truth in there somewhere.

CarolNYC
08-24-2004, 03:47 AM
Hey Stretch,
I think leagues are the ones who suffer during summer-who the heck wants to be inside all day on a beautiful day-
Im personally, a beach bum-I go down to the Jersey shore all the time-I love the beach-amusement parks,anything outdoors-if I get an hour of play in,cool, if I dont, oh well /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I do find Im on the table much more during winter season!
Carol

#### leonard
08-24-2004, 08:37 AM
Stretch I don't know if pool is a sesonal sport but your Postings are. Nice to see your back posting. ####

Stretch
08-24-2004, 08:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> Stretch I don't know if pool is a sesonal sport but your Postings are. Nice to see your back posting. #### <hr /></blockquote>

Well if it isn't leonard X 2! Great to here from you again. Have you got the kitchen floor done yet?? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Well i'm back to throw my 2 cents in and i don't plan on leaveing any time soon. It's been a long road to get back here, but now that i'm fixed up and settled in......yer stuck with me /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stretch
08-24-2004, 09:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Hey Stretch,
I think leagues are the ones who suffer during summer-who the heck wants to be inside all day on a beautiful day-
Im personally, a beach bum-I go down to the Jersey shore all the time-I love the beach-amusement parks,anything outdoors-if I get an hour of play in,cool, if I dont, oh well /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I do find Im on the table much more during winter season!
Carol <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Toots! How you feeling? i cought some of your thread about a nasty gastro-intestinal problem. Was going to wish you well back there but got sidetracked.

I really slack off in the summer. If i get out a couple times a week it suits me fine. Like you, all i need to do is smell the ocean, or hear the distant sounds of a screaming crowd and pool is all but forgotten. Laying on a beach towel is cross-training isn't it?? I mean you could read a pool publication, work on visualizations etc. ..........help me out here lol there's got to be SOME pool relevent activity that's related to water....well besides the obvious "swimming pool" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St.

#### leonard
08-24-2004, 06:09 PM
I finished it Sunday I am glad you asked.####

Sid_Vicious
08-24-2004, 08:44 PM
"who the heck wants to be inside all day on a beautiful day"

I ride to the PH many beautiful Saturdays and Sundays, it's the quietest moments there at that time of the year, just me and another player clicking balls around, no music. I'm not normal though, but you knew that already...sid

CarolNYC
08-27-2004, 03:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it's the quietest moments there at that time of the year, just me and another player clicking balls around, no music. I'm not normal though <hr /></blockquote>

Sounds perfectly normal to me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Carol

CarolNYC
08-27-2004, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Toots! <hr /></blockquote>

I love that! ha ha ha
Im great Stretch,
Nice to hear from you again!

[ QUOTE ]
Laying on a beach towel is cross-training isn't it?? <hr /></blockquote>

Yep-takes ALOT outta ya! ha ha ha-you can really work up a sweat! ha ha

[ QUOTE ]
publication, work on visualizations etc. ..........help me out here lol there's got to be SOME pool relevent activity that's related to water <hr /></blockquote>

Hmmmmmmm, maybe all the different STROKES????????
We'll have to ask Barb-shes the swimmer!

You stay very well!
Always a pleasure!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mudshark
08-28-2004, 03:25 AM
Well I must say that I am already planning on fixing my problem of summers for next year. I am going to try to get lunches going as well as some "night life". I know that there isn't going to be much in the way of pool playing, but I figure I can make up for it during the days on lunches, and then in the evenings on a DJ and drink specials. That will soften the blow a bit, or at least i am hopeful. This summer the hall pulled in about $1,000 a day on average. Which I am hoping can be improved upon.

LivinGr8
08-28-2004, 03:36 AM
If pool is seasonal, for me?, I'll take fall, winter and spring for sure! I really think that it may be more like periodic in years. When I first started, I played for 4 yrs. ... then after getting involved in other things during the 80's, I returned to the game for 4 yrs. ... got into yet other activities and returned to the game approximately 4 yrs. ago. This time however, league play has magnetized my interest. Went to Dallas last year and flopped, however, I do anticipate a return trip in the spring '05.
Glad you asked! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif