PDA

View Full Version : turning down a warped shaft?

justbrake
08-22-2004, 06:30 PM
how much can you turn down a warped shaft,(what tollarence) also whats the odds on it going to go back to being warped again! is it worth it or should you just have another made up!so if you were interesed in getting a tight grain shaft made up!,who would be your choice to do it?

stickman
08-22-2004, 06:47 PM
For my money, I would just have a new shaft made. There are hundreds, if not more, of qualified persons to fit a shaft. I don't have a recommendation though. Hopefully, next year I'll be able to build my own shafts. For now, if I had a warped shaft on my Pechauer, I'd have them build me another 30" shaft.

Troy
08-22-2004, 06:58 PM
As Stick said, replace the shaft. It just ain't worth the trouble.
No suggestions for Long Island, NY.

Troy

Rod
08-22-2004, 07:03 PM
Even if it was turned down the warp factor at present would have to be very slight. If not you would end up with a shaft smaller than a pencil, if that.

Rod

BLACKHEART
08-22-2004, 07:45 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif You can't "turn" down a warped shaft. When it's turning in the lathe it would be cutting more on one side than the other. HOWEVER it can be "sanded" down to a smaller size. It will still be warped but smaller...JER

stickman
08-22-2004, 09:47 PM
I straightened a warped shaft once. I took two thick books and opened them in the middle and placed the shaft resting on the books, with the warped area between the books. I marked the warped area, and placed the high point up. I steamed the warped area and placed another large book opened on the top of the shaft in the warped area. Without any additional weight, I was unable to make any change. I added some bricks to the top of the book and actually went too far. I made one more try, and it came out nearly perfect. A week later it was still perfect. At the time, I told the guy that I wouldn't gaurantee it to stay straight. I never heard any more from him, so I don't know if it continued to stay straight. After that experiment, I decided to not do anymore. It was very time consuming. I'd only try it again if it was my own. A warped shaft isn't worth much to me, so I wouldn't be afraid to experiment. It might be worth a try for you.

justbrake
08-23-2004, 09:32 AM
I have another question on this ,Can they use the old joint if they can't match it up, take it from the shaft and use it on a new shaft!

BLACKHEART
08-23-2004, 10:39 AM
Just give the old shaft to the Qmaker & he can cut the joint rings off of the old shaft & put them on the new one...JER