PDA

View Full Version : Funny Pool Story

Tom_In_Cincy
08-23-2004, 11:02 AM
Yesterday, I had to make a ruling that wasn't all that difficult. But the resulting action was funny.

The shooting player was jacked up over the five ball near the corner pocket. The five ball was between the cue ball and the rail. When the player was setting his bridge hand on the rail, he moved the 5 ball about 2 inches. He looked at his opponent to see if he wanted to move the 5 ball back. No response from the opponent. The shooter shoots at the two ball down table, hits the two ball and the cue ball comes back and hits the 5 ball into the pocket. The non-shooting player calls a foul. He thinks that the shooter moved the 5 ball in the act of shooting and when the cue ball came back to hit it, that would be a foul.

But, he also agreed that the 5 ball had been "accepted in place". Thus, no accidental movement of the 5 ball, to rule it a foul.

I ruled 'no foul' and the non-shooter went to the table and started shooting with cue ball in position. The player that had made the 5 ball was suppose to be shooting and didn't realize it until after the match. No one did.

After the match was over, the player that thought it was suppose to be a foul, came to me for futher explaination. I first asked him what happened after I had ruled 'no foul' and he told me that took the shot on the table. I then informed him that because of the 'no foul' rule, the other player should have continued his turn at the table.

Now get this, this player not only admitted to shooting out of turn, but also complained that it should have been BALL IN HAND. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AndreaWilson
08-23-2004, 11:12 AM
Too funny!!! LOL!!!!

Some things just leave you scratching your head. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ras314
08-23-2004, 11:23 AM
I thought that a ball moved with the hand or cue and then hit by the cb was a foul? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Also if the cb went thru the space it originaly occupied it is a foul?

Deeman2
08-23-2004, 12:17 PM
Tom,

You have more plot twists than "All My Children" in this one. I say, let's just let them settle these disputes the American way, with guns at 20 paces!

Dee

woody_968
08-23-2004, 12:47 PM
Thats funny Tom, reminds me of a set I was watching several years ago. The guy at the table was on the hill, but was hooked on the next object ball with the nine hanging in the pocket. With no way to hit the object ball he decided to shoot in the nine and make the other guy run out. He shot the nine straight in the pocket, the guy in the chair stood up, took out his wallet and paid!

Chopstick
08-23-2004, 01:55 PM
There's a story about U.J. Puckett, a famous one pocket player. Back in those days it was cue ball fouls only as a general rule. U.J. was using a bridge to shoot a ball into his pocket and as he shot he picked up the bridge and drew it back to avoid interfering with the shot. When he did that he touched one of the balls in the cluster he was shooting over. The other player called foul.

Well, a 10 minute argument ensued. Finally, U.J. says you mean to tell me I owe a ball for touching an object ball. The other player says Yes. U.j. says OK, might as well owe two and grabs all the balls on the table and shoves them in front of his pocket.

Eric.
08-23-2004, 02:15 PM
Hey Tom,

Sounds like your typical TD ruling; no matter what, one of the players are gonna have a problem with your ruling /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric

Tom_In_Cincy
08-23-2004, 02:32 PM
You are correct.
But, while bridging over a ball, and that ball moves, play stops, and the non-shooting player has the option of keeping the ball as is, or putting it back into the original position. When one of the two options is executed, the table is considered to be 'accepted' and that ball is no longer considered "moved" (for reasons of a foul, unless it is hit 'again' accidentally.)

Malice
08-23-2004, 09:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>

&lt;snippage&gt;

Now get this, this player not only admitted to shooting out of turn, but also complained that it should have been BALL IN HAND. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

He should have asked for his $1 in quarters back too.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-23-2004, 09:37 PM
DeeMan,

Great to see you posting again, please hookup with Spiderman and have a few on me...

check out www.highpocketsinmemphis.com (http://www.highpocketsinmemphis.com) for a great 9 ball and one pocket tournament this weekend... makes me jealous. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Also, at www.professorQball.com (http://www.professorQball.com) they list some good Texas tournaments coming your way soon...