PDA

View Full Version : New guy in town?

Perk
08-23-2004, 12:22 PM
Not sure if you all heard bout this guy (I hadnt). I dont even know if its a joke. Seems FL might have some competition. Found this site through a webring.

http://www.poolsensation.net/ Check out the flash intro.

woody_968
08-23-2004, 12:41 PM
Never heard of him, but of course that doesnt mean much /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
08-23-2004, 12:55 PM
He is legitimate.

I believe I saw him a couple of years ago on one of the TV appearances mentioned on the web site.

I think his specialty is speed pool.

Deeman2
08-23-2004, 01:23 PM
Nice flash opening, you're right. I never heard of him myself but I never heard of FL until a couple of years ago and look how well he is doing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Most of you who know me understand that I don't like to brag all that much but I hold a few records myself; a few in pool and a few in life. I, of course, have not started a web site as to keep that lower profile and not over shadow FL and the other near greats that would pretent to wear my rightful crown. Guiness, to my utter amazement, does not recognise most of my records but, in time, and with the right webmaster, I'm sure I'll get the credit I so richly deserve.

My records speak for themselves:

1) Bought three houses for women who married me for my money but had very poor math skills.
2) Ran 3 balls in 3 hours and ten minutes on a table in Bangkok, Thailand. (I had not noticed it was a three cushion table), perhaps too much Chinese sake.
3) Broke a $2,200 glass table top in Ruesselsheim, Germany with a jump shot that went all to wrong. But, I did it on the first attempt.
4) Left a F2 Nikon camera laying on the top of ten feet of fresh snow in Nepal. Made a Sherpa's year!
5) Won $100 on a bet that I couldn't snap a house cue on the break in Colorado. Was kicked out by owner but collected the cash.
6) Dogged a gimmie case ball at the U.S Open in 1969 against "The Miz".
7) Avoided having to match up with C. Cass for two years running at the U.S Open. Once by claiming bad weather, once by claiming unemployment and poverty. (Both true)
8) Loaned $500 to a professional pool player who shot himself in the head ten hours later.
9) Cornered the market on silver and even talked my father into buying $125K three weeks before it tanked. My father actually leaves his bars on his back porch to this day to remind me of it's worth.
10) Went home to Memphis (my hometown) to play Memphis State, scored two of my only four touchdowns in my whole college career that night and outgained Mercury Morris and Duane Thomas (my All-American Teammates)and they spelled my name wrong in the Memphis paper the next day!
11) Had my best friend (an Englishman) take me to have rectal surgery and spent the whole time trying to convince the staff that we were not "partners".
12) Ran 111 balls in 14.1 at 17 years of age and have not been able to break 50 ever since.
13) Wrote 12 books, three on pool and can't even get my mother to read them. I couldn't even get Tom from Cincy to read one!!!!
14) Left a Nikon F1 camera somewhere at the bottom of an underwater cave (3/4 miles in) off the coast of Washington state.
15) Was defeated in a minor political race because my opponent kept referring to me as that pool player/hustler type guy. He was later convicted of child molestation but I saw him campagne against another poor slug by saying he was a used car dealer. Better a Petophyle than a pool player or car guy, I guess.

After all this, I think someone owes me a web site! And, would someone loan me a nice camera?

Deeman

pooltchr
08-23-2004, 01:24 PM
Dave is definitely for real. I'm not sure about the number 1 entertainer part, but he has been around doing this for quite some time. I believe he does hold some type of speed pool record. Number 1 or not, he is certainly in that group of top performers.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-23-2004, 01:33 PM
Dee, is that a resume or a cry for help? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deeman2
08-23-2004, 01:46 PM
Wally,

It is a cry for help and maybe sanity. Unfortunately, I have a new job in Texas (Longview,land of the large cockroaches) despite my Maynard G. Krebs efforts to stay retired. My Yankee, Catholic wife thought 52 was too young to stay at home all day. Anyway, are you back in Hamiltucky or still in Kalifornia? I am now within driving distance of playing our friend, Spiderman, in Dallas (another guy who didn't read my book!)so maybe I'm back. Scott Lee is stopping by in three weeks to oil my arm up, so I guess I'll stop complaining as soon as I locate some players in this area. They keep the pool halls hot and humid here so everyone has an excuse to play badly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Good to hear from you.

Dee

Fred Agnir
08-23-2004, 02:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr> Not sure if you all heard bout this guy (I hadnt). I dont even know if its a joke. Seems FL might have some competition. Found this site through a webring.

http://www.poolsensation.net/ Check out the flash intro. <hr /></blockquote>That's David "The Ginger Wizard" Pearson. He's been around for a while. He had the world record for speed pool. The first tournament I saw him in was during the World Team tournaments back in the 80's. He was terrible, as far as professional standards go.

Fred

woody_968
08-23-2004, 03:19 PM
Deeman, that has got to be one of the most, ummmmm, interesting posts I have ever read /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deeman2
08-23-2004, 03:34 PM
Woody,

Thanks for calling it "interesting". That may be a kind way of saying crazy, but remember they called Issac Newton crazy, they called Colubus crazy, they even called Charles Manson crazy. I like being "interesting." That's what they used to call Steve Davis (snooker champion) Interesting Steve Davis.....They usd to call me "The Snake" but my rattle fell off, my fangs came out and my skin got too dry to shed...
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gifDee

Kato
08-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Deeman, that has to be right up there with the funniest/saddest post I've ever read. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato

Sid_Vicious
08-23-2004, 04:30 PM
Dee...Y'all still have a brewery over in Longview???sid

Wally_in_Cincy
08-24-2004, 06:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> ...are you back in Hamiltucky or still in Kalifornia?...<hr /></blockquote>

Tom_in_Cincy moved to Cali, not me.

Wally &lt;~~ still in Hamiltucky

Deeman2
08-24-2004, 09:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Deeman, that has to be right up there with the funniest/saddest post I've ever read. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

Kato,

I am, indeed, a sad character but hanging in there.

Sid,

I have not been here long enough to locate a brewery but if there is one, my wife will find it.

Wally,

Sorry, I confused Tom's move with your non-move. You can see how screwed up I am after all this moving myself.

I just spent a couple of hours last night with Dish telling me I couldn't get 432 (Empire) here in Longview. I threatened to switch to Direct TV and, presto, it was now possible and an hour later I'm watching Cory and Alex slug it out. The wonders of the capitolistic system!

I'm glad to be back posting as I missed all the chat and good advice. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dee

SpiderMan
08-24-2004, 11:22 AM
Dee,

I felt so guilty after reading your post that I read most of your book last night. I never knew that stuff about the nickels, is it based on fact?

Anyway, "Sid" and I were having lunch today and discussing the possibility of a get-together sometime in the near future. We went so far as to think of a good midways poolroom for the event, Pettypoint in Terrell, but we haven't contacted SPetty yet about hosting /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm still curious whether or not I will remember you from Funland/Golden Cue/River City. Did you know we also have another old Funland patron active on here? He lives in Florida and posts as "Chopstick". He's the guy that got me started playing, but it sounds like we were both still beginners when you were already running with the likes of Jones and Roberts.

Most likely you'll beat the tar out of all of us when we get together.

SpiderMan

Deeman2
08-24-2004, 12:32 PM
Spiderman,

Good to hear from you. Yes, the thing with the nickels is based in fact. George was supposed to have used them but I won't tear into mine to find out!

I'd love to meet you and Sid when you make arrangements. Don't expect me to be that good now. I can still hit 'em but not like when I was 18, smart-assed, weighed 170 lbs. Now I'm 52, fat, smart assed and lost in Texas. Besides, in the end, Louie always seemed to take my cash. Did I tell you Jack Hunter died. They said only his wife showed up for his funeral and she left as soon as they gave her his watch. I was told Lou Jones hit a major jackpot in Tunica on dollar slot for about $95K. James Strickland , the owner of Funland and Highpockets, died a few months ago. I have not been back in a while but get my news from my brother, Bo who still lives there. I hear Doyle (also owner of Funland), the one armed bandit, has passed as well.

I don't know if I know Chopstick but we can always swap stories until we recognize each other. If he lives in Florida, he has to be smarter than us.

Thanks for reading the book. I can now say at least two people have read it (counting my proof reading as one).

SPetty
08-24-2004, 01:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> We went so far as to think of a good midways poolroom for the event, PettyPoint in Terrell, but we haven't contacted SPetty yet about hosting /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif<hr /></blockquote>Hell Yeah! I'm always up for it! (But not the weekend of 9/11-9/12 when I'll be at the US Open...)

What's funny - when Deeman posted his location, I saw "Lubbock". I just figured he had a little Texas geography lesson in front of him if he thought it was easy driving distance from Lubbock to Dallas to play Spiderman! (It's about 350 miles...) But Longview - now that's doable! Less than 100 miles to Terrell according to Mapquest... Excellent midway point! (Or should I say Excellent midway PettyPoint! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Y'all are welcome any time.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-24-2004, 01:26 PM
Deeman,
Very sad news about James Strickland. Great guy and extemely great pool room owner. I will miss him.

If Spiderman ever sends me the copy of your book, I will read it. I use to play at Funland also, in the late 70s. I was a regular at High Pockets, from when it opened until I moved in 1987.

Sid_Vicious
08-24-2004, 01:31 PM
When you think about it, this weekend is fairly well placed for such a deal. There's the holiday next weekend, then it gets to crowding the Open date...sid

SPetty
08-24-2004, 01:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> When you think about it, this weekend is fairly well placed for such a deal. There's the holiday next weekend, then it gets to crowding the Open date...sid <hr /></blockquote>Works for me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Next weekend would be okay too. I'll let you guys hash out the details. Let me know!

Deeman2
08-24-2004, 01:42 PM
Spetty,

I do know where Lubbock is but we do have to talk about Texas geography. I went to school in Canyon, Tx. That, according to Texas is West Texas. Now, I can live with calling where I live East Texas. But not only do they call the Panhandle West Texas, Dallas/Denton is North Texas! Now, correct my map plotting skills but North Texas is South of West Texas! Now, where is El Paso, in South Texas?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Let me know when we can get together.

Dee

SPetty
08-24-2004, 02:06 PM
HAHAHA! You have the same geographical quandary about Texas as I have about the US! Reference this recent post (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=150214&amp;page =&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1) ...

Can you make it this weekend? Can you make it next weekend? Sid's organizing the get-together... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sid_Vicious
08-24-2004, 02:13 PM
Just a reminder, that weekend of the Massey exhibition in SA...I'll most likely be cruising down there. When was that anyway???sid

SPetty
08-24-2004, 02:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Just a reminder, that weekend of the Massey exhibition in SA...I'll most likely be cruising down there. When was that anyway???sid <hr /></blockquote>The same weekend (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=152181&amp;page =&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1) as the US Open.

Deeman2
08-25-2004, 07:24 AM
I could make it on the 4th or the 18th or whenever Sid gets it together. This weekend is booked (my wife has a horse thing going on). Hey, that sounds a little kinky. Anyway, you guys set it up and I'll be there. Scott Lee will be here with me on the 14th so you better watch out. I'm liable to make a ball after he get through torturing me.

Loved the post on geography. Damn, when did they put all that distance between Wyoming and Texas? Now you have me worried that Scott won't be able to find Longview!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Deeman

Deeman2
08-25-2004, 07:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Deeman,
Very sad news about James Strickland. Great guy and extemely great pool room owner. I will miss him.

If Spiderman ever sends me the copy of your book, I will read it. I use to play at Funland also, in the late 70s. I was a regular at High Pockets, from when it opened until I moved in 1987. <hr /></blockquote>

Tom,

I was very fond of James as well. I won his first rournament after he opened High Pockets and he never charged me table time after that. I used to call him from all over the world to clock players and he never did me wrong. A perfect gentleman. Did you know Jack Hunter? He was a one pocket player at Funland and later at the Rack in Southhaven. James didn't want him around at High Pockets but he could play jacked up when he had to. He never played for more than spare change but taught me a lot about the game when I was a snot nosed kid (as opposed to the snot nosed adult I have become). /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dee

Sid_Vicious
08-25-2004, 08:39 AM
Sounds like it's sitting in neutral unless there's a chance everyone envolved might be hanging around over the September holiday anyway(4th idea.) It's always been my experience that between player's personal travel ideas and wive's horse thingy ideas(I couldn't resist Dee), that holidays are most of the time is a poor selection for gatherings. Maybe I am wrong, let's see how it unfolds...sid~~~enjoyed the spontaneous idea of a bike ride during great TX weather, to play at Petty's PH, AND to meet people I haven't met before, now if I just had a friend with a motorcycle who played pool and felt like making a Saturday trip to Terrel anyway... ;-)

SpiderMan
08-25-2004, 08:43 AM
Too bad about OP Jack. Last time I saw him he was looking pretty bad, like he'd had cancer or something. That was probably at least 15 years ago at the Southaven Rec Center. He never paid much attention to me back in the '70s, probably because I didn't have any money and wasn't a great player, but he was nice enough when we were just sitting around talking in the Golden Cue.

I never knew that Doyle owned Funland. Did he also have a stake in River City, the place everyone went to after Golden Cue closed?

Tom, you were moving about the time I was getting ready to send the book, so I procrastinated and never got back to you. PM me a new address and I'll send it.

Dee, here's a funny story. Years after I had moved to Dallas, I went back to Memphis to visit some friends and family at Christmas. "High Pockets" and "The Rack" had become the new hangouts, so Chopstick and I met for some pool at Highpockets (he was living in Atlanta, but also home for the holidays). While we were playing, we found out about a well-attended weekly tournament that drew lots of good players. We both had to play with the TD for an hour or so the day before to get a "rating", as the tournament was handicapped. I remember that he rated me a 7 and Chop an 8, which annoyed me because we're pretty competitive and it felt too much like losing to him /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Anyway, I caught a gear the next night and kicked ass on everyone. In the finals, I was playing a 9 handicap guy and holding my own, but finally lost out by one game. Afterwards, my other friend George (George drove up from Sardis every week to play, did you know him?) told me that the opponent had switched beads on me during the match. When I was one up and he won a game, he added his game to my string, claiming it as his and becoming two ahead rather than tied. I was so unaccustomed to using beads for scoring that I didn't notice!

Also, at this same tournament, I played a guy named "Livingstone". He looked just like the Bobby Livingstone from old Funland days, same hair, same build, same eyebrows, good player, but he was too young. Still, I asked him if he was Bobby because he looked so much like the guy I hadn't seen for 15 or 20 years and he said that he was his younger brother! Talk about a coincidence. BTW, he said that Bobby was living in Florida.

SpiderMan

Deeman2
08-25-2004, 12:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Too bad about OP Jack. Last time I saw him he was looking pretty bad, like he'd had cancer or something. That was probably at least 15 years ago at the Southaven Rec Center. He never paid much attention to me back in the '70s, probably because I didn't have any money and wasn't a great player, but he was nice enough when we were just sitting around talking in the Golden Cue.

<font color="blue">Jack was not a very nice human being even among the players. He was known for hustling kids lunch money and was even accused of stealing quarters from kids on a pin ball machine! I got along well with him because I wanted to learn to move in one pocket. I played him for a buck a game (cheap lessons) from about age 12 until I could play with him, age 16 or so. Then he would play me on occasion for $5 and quit me after a game or two. Over the early years, he made a few hundred off me but, again, they were priceless lessons. <font color="blue"> </font color>

<font color="black"> I never knew that Doyle owned Funland. Did he also have a stake in River City, the place everyone went to after Golden Cue closed? <font color="black"> </font color>

<font color="blue"> </font color> Doyle owned Funland and James worked for him. When River City started, James bought an interest and eventually bought out Doyle. James sold his part of High Pockets as his health went south.

<font color="black"> </font color> Tom, you were moving about the time I was getting ready to send the book, so I procrastinated and never got back to you. PM me a new address and I'll send it. <font color="black"> </font color>

<font color="blue"> </font color> Thanks, I may post it somewhere on the web and force others to read it! <font color="blue"> </font color>

<font color="black"> </font color> Dee, here's a funny story. Years after I had moved to Dallas, I went back to Memphis to visit some friends and family at Christmas. "High Pockets" and "The Rack" had become the new hangouts, so Chopstick and I met for some pool at Highpockets (he was living in Atlanta, but also home for the holidays). While we were playing, we found out about a well-attended weekly tournament that drew lots of good players. We both had to play with the TD for an hour or so the day before to get a "rating", as the tournament was handicapped. I remember that he rated me a 7 and Chop an 8, which annoyed me because we're pretty competitive and it felt too much like losing to him /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Anyway, I caught a gear the next night and kicked ass on everyone. In the finals, I was playing a 9 handicap guy and holding my own, but finally lost out by one game. Afterwards, my other friend George (George drove up from Sardis every week to play, did you know him?) told me that the opponent had switched beads on me during the match. When I was one up and he won a game, he added his game to my string, claiming it as his and becoming two ahead rather than tied. I was so unaccustomed to using beads for scoring that I didn't notice! <font color="black"> </font color>

I think I drew that guy who stuck you on the wire a few times! I may know george but would have to see him to know for sure.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif <font color="blue"> </font color>
<font color="black"> </font color> Also, at this same tournament, I played a guy named "Livingstone". He looked just like the Bobby Livingstone from old Funland days, same hair, same build, same eyebrows, good player, but he was too young. Still, I asked him if he was Bobby because he looked so much like the guy I hadn't seen for 15 or 20 years and he said that he was his younger brother! Talk about a coincidence. BTW, he said that Bobby was living in Florida.

<font color="blue"> </font color> I remember Bobby Livingston well but never met his kid brother. Can he play?

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

1a2b3c
08-25-2004, 03:07 PM
So you dont seem to get around much. What are the 3 books you wrote?

SpiderMan
08-25-2004, 03:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>
I think I drew that guy who stuck you on the wire a few times! I may know george but would have to see him to know for sure. <hr /></blockquote>

His name is George Morgan. He'd probably be early fifties now, a little on the short side (5'10" or less), never seen in public without a ballcap. He also liked to play tennis. He's lived in Sardis all his life, a good player, shot most of the local tourneys in Memphis and Mississippi as well as a few regionals. Now and then he'd go over to Purvis's in Oxford and give the locals a run for their money.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> I remember Bobby Livingston well but never met his kid brother. Can he play?<hr /></blockquote>

By my standards back then he played well. I got past him that night but then he was was giving me two on the wire. He'd won the tourney before, which says something since they pulled a large field and you aren't going to get through it as a 9 unless you can shoot.

SpiderMan

Deeman2
08-26-2004, 07:48 AM
1a2b3b,

Your right, I'm pretty much a home body but have been sent to 49 countries on business and lived in six of them. I have written 12 books, not 3. 3 of them had heavy pool aspects in them, 1 was totally about pool, 5 were porno books written under an alias during college. We used to get $300 to $1,000 for each of these and it was a better alternative to selling blood,....maybe. I have written a couple of internal books for General Motors, one in English, one in German about the differences in Japanese and Western Manufacturing Strategies. If you have access to GM white papers, one was called, "What the Japanese Won't Sell You!" The German one is "Instanthaltung." I wrote a primer on Tool and Die Apprenticeship Training for the Department of Labor, three unpublished manuscripts, "Balabushka's Nickel" (the one Spiderman has), "Zion's Basement", a book even Salmon Rushdie's publisher would not touch and an untitled science fiction book about the surviving Knights Templar.

I am an engineer by education and vocation but was also a journalism student so I just write for my own enjoyment. Oh, I also wrote a book called "Tier One Blues", a story of how a manufacturing company recovers from ignorance to become successful (to my knowledge the only manufacturing book that contains sex, death and fun).

Anyway, In addition, I have written many published technical aritcles and a few short stories. I play pool, I write, I gamble, on occasion I work, I get older.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Deeman

SpiderMan
09-01-2004, 08:48 AM
Hey Dee,

Looks like we'll finally get to meet and figure out if we ever crossed paths! Talked to Susan today and she's organizing a get-together at PettyPoint on the 18th. Don't expect me to shoot like Lou though, we share a last name and that's all /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>
I think I drew that guy who stuck you on the wire a few times! I may know george but would have to see him to know for sure. <hr /></blockquote>

His name is George Morgan. He'd probably be early fifties now, a little on the short side (5'10" or less), never seen in public without a ballcap. He also liked to play tennis. He's lived in Sardis all his life, a good player, shot most of the local tourneys in Memphis and Mississippi as well as a few regionals. Now and then he'd go over to Purvis's in Oxford and give the locals a run for their money.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> I remember Bobby Livingston well but never met his kid brother. Can he play?<hr /></blockquote>

By my standards back then he played well. I got past him that night but then he was was giving me two on the wire. He'd won the tourney before, which says something since they pulled a large field and you aren't going to get through it as a 9 unless you can shoot.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>