PDA

View Full Version : Adios

05-11-2002, 11:43 PM
This will be my last post. Unlike Ken, Troy and a few others, I mean it. Ken has provoked me for the last time and I am no longer prepared to toterate him, his ego or his lies. People like him make this world a harder place to live in and he is not needed on this or any other billiard forum. It's called addition by subtraction. He can not make a posting without a degrading remark and he has not posted about pool for so long I'm sure he can't even remember when the last time was. I am a pool player and I finally realised that I was so angered that Ken continues to post without any punishment that I lost my way. Ken having the unmidigated gall to start a poll regarding another poster who happens to dislike him is the last straw. When will it end? I have told Ken too many times to count that if he just cleans up his act I will too. I finally realised that Ken has some kind of disorder and is unable to behave in a normal rational manner. Therefore I have lowered my standards for the last time and I bid you all farewell.

05-12-2002, 02:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> This will be my last post. Unlike Ken, Troy and a few others, I mean it. Ken has provoked me for the last time and I am no longer prepared to toterate him, his ego or his lies. People like him make this world a harder place to live in and he is not needed on this or any other billiard forum. It's called addition by subtraction. He can not make a posting without a degrading remark and he has not posted about pool for so long I'm sure he can't even remember when the last time was. I am a pool player and I finally realised that I was so angered that Ken continues to post without any punishment that I lost my way. Ken having the unmidigated gall to start a poll regarding another poster who happens to dislike him is the last straw. When will it end? I have told Ken too many times to count that if he just cleans up his act I will too. I finally realised that Ken has some kind of disorder and is unable to behave in a normal rational manner. Therefore I have lowered my standards for the last time and I bid you all farewell. <hr></blockquote>

I personally take this board as any poolroom that you may frequent anywhere in the country.In actuality,it is a poolroom.You have the very knowledgable players that are well spoken,all in between, and at the other end you have the jack-asses that know it all and are not afraid to let you know 'how much they know'.

Just to throw out a number maybe 80-90% that post here don't know a thing of what real pool is about.Yea yea yea they say they do but in reality they know nothing-zilch-nada-ZER0.

What most know here is only a keyboard.They spend too much time posting their 'knowledge' of pool nothings and too little time behind the actual cue.

I no longer lose any sleep over those who condemn my posts because I choose a moniker opposed to my actual name.They can f--k off for all I care and go play their trivial word games elsewhere.They'll never be able to play pool as I do and will only be able to dream or 'talk' of my skills as a player.

My advice to you anonymous is to be more selective in your posts.Don't worry yourself over these certain non-players that you seem to be obsessed with.Talk pool with your actual name or as an anonymous but don't give in to the majority of these lonely cliquish morons that strive to be recognized in the only fashion that they know.BS

rackmup
05-12-2002, 05:11 AM
I did not start the poll (you need only to compare the ISP's) nor did I participate in it. It is obvious that someone else has grown tired of your combative drivel.

As for your departure, if that is the choice you feel best for you, then "have a safe trip." What you have failed to recognize is that I have "used my unmitigated gall" only in a jovial light. You, unfortunately, have taken it to heart and far too seriously.

As for your (or others) choice to remain "anonymous", that too, is your right. It is just difficult to respect the opinions of others who are too cowardly (for whatever reason) to assign their names to their words. You can always post "anonymously" but still sign your name just as others do.

Now, back to your farewell...pack plenty of warm clothing, place two gallons of extra water in the trunk, take a flashlight and a small first aid kit and enjoy your trip. Should you return, let us know in advance and I will arrange the traditional "Welcome Home" party.

Regards and a tearful farewell,

Ken

rackmup
05-12-2002, 05:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Just to throw out a number maybe 80-90% that post here don't know a thing of what real pool is about.Yea yea yea they say they do but in reality they know nothing-zilch-nada-ZER0.<hr></blockquote>

You are right. I know very little about pool (just like the majority of the others on this board.) You have unearthed our grisley little secret. I'm so humilated.

Tell you what...with me (and others) not being a true pool player and only one of the many that you say, and I quote you...:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>...posting their 'knowledge' of pool nothings and too little time behind the actual cue.<hr></blockquote>

...Spot me the 7 and the bash in a race-to-11 for a few Benjamins and maybe I might learn something from someone who is as skilled as you must be.

If you don't want to waste your time playing a hack like me, there are several others on this board that I am more than willing to serve in the role of "stakehorse."

Seriously...you have no idea of the caliber of some of the players on this board, including some who pit their skills against some of the best every year at the US OPEN. When was the last time you plopped down your entry fees for that tourney? There are some outstanding players here as well as some outstanding PEOPLE here at the CCB. You are surely WAY out of line when assuming there are more "talkers" than "players" here in this forum.

Respectfully,

Ken (never posts anything about pool, knows nothing of pool and while drinking one sunny afternoon, fell into the pool)

05-12-2002, 12:34 PM
Hear Hear Ken, well said. I for one have NEVER posted anything that should have antagonized these two boastful morons, yet have been castigated by them anyway. I'll cry no tears over their departure, in point of fact, I'm thinking of hosting a celebration party! Oh, by the way, REAL POOL is any pool that is played with a love and respect for the game. Real pool does not mean being hopped up on coke for the fifteenth hour in a row, trying to win the five thousand now on the line because the payday has to be 'worth it'. That in fact, is $hithe@d pool. People who have to have big dollars on the line to play well are, in my opinion, not players at all. People who can bring their A Game for nothing other than the joy of playing well are the REAL pool players.
Did I remember to mention that I'm not sorry to see them go?

cueball1950
05-12-2002, 01:00 PM
give em hell lorri.... why is it nobody is allowed to play for just the pure fun of it all....we have one of the best players in the country here in albany ny and he does not gamble..but let anyone step up and try him for the hell of it or in one of his tournaments. i alomost gave up playing cuz of the mentality of the players in my local pool hall. "YOU SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING UNLESS YOU ARE GAMBLING"WHAT A STUPID WAY OF THINKING. i have learned one sure thing from playing this many years. that is " you can leave the pool hall for 10 years come back and it is the same old $hit, just different players....just some random thoughts.....by the way i took that silly poll.. i checked if you do not like the poster..just ignore......mike

TomBrooklyn
05-12-2002, 02:46 PM
Anonymous,

It is ironic that the gist of your post is not about pool and you degrade several other posters, while at the same time you express your displeasure with those who write posts that are not about pool and contain degrading remarks. I found it quite amusing, though it seems you didn't mean it to be funny, so please excuse my laughter.

You seem happy with your decision, so I'm glad for you. Sorry, but I'm not sure who you are or what you've previously posted, as I can't generally remember posters by IP number; but regardless, Ciao and Happy Trails.

Scott Lee
05-12-2002, 02:50 PM
Mike...AMEN to that, and to what Lorri said too! Well spoken to the both of you! Most of us here feel exactly the same way about this crazy game/sport we are all so consumed by day after day, year after year! LOL Personally, I would LOVE to come up to Albany and play that delightful gentleman some pool...just to see his obvious skill at the game. Right now, I am headed out to play with a friend of mine who is 86, and can hit the ball with the BEST of them (and DID many, many years ago!). Bert Kinister said of this man, "This guy has the BEST stroke I have EVER seen!" The best part is that this man, who I admire and cherish as a friend, can play the game for nothing or a TON of $$$ (if he wanted), and would play the SAME game! He still plays in USPPA tournaments a couple of times a week out here in S. CA, but doesn't really try to play to win...he just loves the game, and plays to socialize with others. Consequently, many of the younger guys think he is just some wannabe, or hasbeen! They don't have the "smarts" to be able to recognize that "sweet stroke", that I saw the very first time I met this man...
giving him a pool lesson 7 yrs ago! He is a credit to the game, and I strive to emulate his attitude and skill, as well as those of my many other "good player" friends around the country...many of whom I have met right here!

Scott Lee

05-12-2002, 04:06 PM
Just when I thought I was all alone in the world......Thanks guys, it's nice to know that I'm NOT crazy. I've always held that the skill you exhibit on a table does not determine your value as a person, although most of the people I've met to date seem to disagree with me. It's awfully nice to find a place where there are folk of like mind.

Ralph S.
05-12-2002, 05:44 PM
I, for one, have become very tired of continuous whining that Anonymous displays on this board. Also, I try my very best to be respectful of others and keep from bashing people. This is where I want to speak my 2 cents worth if I may. To Anonymous: you say that 80 to 90% of the people here don't spend any real time holding a cue or using it??? Well, I would say it is very safe to say that the same 80-90% that you refer to will give a serious run for the money or flat out use you as a floor mat. I do not claim to be an exceptional player or of pro quality, but I will be in Norfolk VA. for the CCB tourney and U.S. Open. Therefore my invitation is extended for you to come so I can personally defend these nice people and whip your candy ass. I know they are all quite capable of making their own challenges without my help, but I want to make a statement since I probably fall in that 80-90% group you so put it. So Anonymous....DON'T SING IT- BRING IT!!!!!!!!
Ralph S.

Alfie
05-12-2002, 05:50 PM
Quote rackmup-- "As for your (or others) choice to remain "anonymous", that too, is your right. It is just difficult to respect the opinions of others who are too cowardly (for whatever reason) to assign their names to their words."

Alf-- Do you actually believe this? I can see that it is "easier" to insult people anonymously, but why can't you simply ignore it and go on?

I remember last year a screen-named room owner posted his negative feelings about the gamblers in his room (correct me if I'm wrong, somebody), how they didn't spend money, how they harassed the citizens about money games and drove them away, etc. He said words to the effect that he could care less if the action players stayed away. He was for real, not a troll. He was not rude, just matter of fact. He was a guy with the wrong set of players for his business plan. Well, someone took his words as a personal insult and in a menacing reply asked the room owner to please post who he was, his room's name, and where it was located so that the gambler (and his acquaintances?) could visit to show how 'nice' action players could 'really' be. I don't think posters should have to sweat things like that. This is one argument for anonymity.

All this "anonymous" stuff started because somebody saw that most rude, insulting posts were from an anonymous poster. Somehow he deduced "anonymous" if and only if "rude and insulting", hence, the anonymous stigma. I think he deduced wrong.

Then two schools of thought emerged.

School A says, well, it's OK to be real life anonymous as long as you have a screen name. We can get to know your cyber personality and judge your credibility well enough.
These people don't "really" mind posters named anonymous (as long as they are not rude and insulting), but getting you to choose a screen name just makes it easier for them because they don't have to keep track of all the anonymous URLs and posting styles; and they know what to expect from your posts so they know whether to read or skip you.

School B says you must reveal who you are in real life (don't know exactly how many pieces of identifying/tracking information are required here) or you have no credibility and/or you are a coward. (unbelievable)

I think a person joins School B for any number of reasons-
To be manipulative and controlling ("Give up your name or get out of here.")
To be part of the School B clique (how high school)
To feel superior (Well, I sign MY name.")
It is a sometimes "convenient" argument (though unsound) to discount views contrary to his own, rather than doing the work. ("Your point is invalid because ... because ... because you are anonymous.")
To try to discredit or marginalize a poster he doesn't like (how petty).
He has a logic glitch and really believes it!

This anon prejudice has gone way too far. On another thread I made a post, the main points of which were that you should be able to back up your facts, and that you should never spread a potentially damaging rumor. Self-evident, right? Yet someone responded that these words should be discounted because ultimately she doesn't know who I am! (again, unbelievable)

rackmup
05-12-2002, 06:14 PM
The "anonymous" moniker isn't the troubling factor with this particular poster. His every post was insulting and rude. This person was "blocked" from other billiard forums and I imagine, it was about to happen here.

As for not registering as to remain "anonymous" and therefore, protected in some way isn't really valid. A person can register under any name, including "anonymous" if it isn't already registered. I do admire the courage of those who use their real names and real email addresses.

I could really care less, when you get right down to the meat of this issue, who posts or what they post. It's like television...if I don't want to watch, I simply keep flipping through the channels. If I do want to watch, I can do so until I am bored. At times, I simply chose to ignore "anonymous'" posts as they were boring and without substance. Others...well, I accepted his challenge to engage in a battle of wits (he wasn't armed very well...sticking to putting one's sexuality into question, etc.)

It's over...he's gone and when he returns, I will still be here. I understand that some take the things said here too literally.

Regards,

Ken (sorry for the long-winded post but hey...you know me!)

rackmup
05-12-2002, 06:19 PM
Ralph...

I admire someone that can put their cash down to compete with the likes of the competition at the US OPEN.

Me? If I played the game HALF as well as I talk the game, I would be a World Champion!

Give 'em hell in VA.!

Ken

Scott Lee
05-13-2002, 12:09 AM
Alf...There's a third school...C...where we CHOOSE to post under our real names, not for any other reason than we want to! There are dozens of regular CCB'ers who use their 'real' names (whether just first, or first and last). Many of us know one another personally, if not just via cyberspace! This is a friendship forum, where people who love pool...ANY people...are welcome and invited to share constructive and/or emotionally-charged opinions on anything having to do with our sport! Those that post anonymously are certainly free to continue to do so...and as you described in 'school A', we, in 'school C' will likely choose to follow and read threads that are from people we know more often than those posted anonymously.

Scott Lee

Alfie
05-13-2002, 04:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr> Alf...There's a third school...C...where we CHOOSE to post under our real names, not for any other reason than we want to! [...] <hr></blockquote>
I feel like I'm posting in a foreign language!

rackmup
05-13-2002, 05:07 AM
Alfie,

Peutetre une certaine quantite vous are!

Regards,

Ken (an Arizonan, living in Texas, speaking broken French. That's a hoot)

05-13-2002, 09:31 AM
Posters take this site much too serious and it amazes me how they wear their feeling on their sleves, particularly one whose name I dare not mention in fear of her rath. Can't take the heat then get off of the message board.

cheesemouse
05-13-2002, 09:51 AM
you gotta get in before you can get out...

John in NH
05-13-2002, 10:42 AM
Lorri,

After reading your post I couldn't sit back and not add my support to you, Rackmup, Cueball, Scott and especially Ken for raising this question of gambling in pool.

I could never understand why some people feel that by adding a side bet to a pool game the bet will increase the skill level of the game. The fact is the exact opposite is true, some of the best pool being played is by people who don't gamble at all.

Most of the gambling that I see here in NH involves players with better skills taking on players with less skill and taking advantage of the weaker players, when it comes to playing against players of equal (greater) ability they usually back down.

Most so called gamblers will usually bet on the strong against the weak which is really not gambling at all, it's taking advantage of someone or hustling someone.

The professional player is forced into gambling because they have no other means of support. Very few professionals are making a living off of other professionals, they usually will seek out weaker players with money to spend.

John

05-13-2002, 02:09 PM
John,
Thank you, your support is well appreciated. I really don't like being the 'poster most likely to go off ', but honestly, some of these anom. numbnuts just really need to stop!

05-13-2002, 02:39 PM
I agree with what everyone is saying " The measure of a man is not how much he will bet on a pool game"
But like many of us this wisdom comes with age and maturity. I spent a lot of my youth looking for a "game"
didn't want to play for fun. Now I love the competition, love to play in tournments with the big boys, I guess that comes with having the cash flow to pay the $500. entry fee's and don't have to feed my ego by pounding on the local fish for his rent money. Smooth Stroke

John in NH
05-13-2002, 05:33 PM
Hi Lorri,

Your point is well taken and your not alone in your viewpoint.

Anonymous seems to have something to prove but I'm not sure
what that is?

05-13-2002, 07:33 PM
HA HA, me neither!!