PDA

View Full Version : Carolinas Open 2004 pictures

RailbirdJAM
08-24-2004, 09:47 AM
Here's some pictures I took at the 2004 Carolinas Open at Fast Eddies in Goldsboro, North Carolina, August 18-22, 2004.

There were 56 players in the one-pocket event, and 121 players showed up for the 9-ball tourney. Fast Eddies has 13 Gold Crown III's, and utilized 10 of them for both tournaments.
Carolinas Open 2004 pictures (http://www.hometown.aol.com/khmccready/carolinasopen2004.html)

RailbirdJAM

9 Ball Girl
08-24-2004, 10:00 AM
I was beginning to wonder when you were going to post them up! Thanks! In looking at the picture of Scott "The Freezer" Frost and Rodney Morris, it looks as if Rodney might be catching a little chill from the Freezer! LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
08-24-2004, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the pic of Karrie Ann /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I think I've seen that "Steve from Pittsburgh" guy before.

woody_968
08-24-2004, 10:32 AM
Karrie Ann is nice, but the one of Rachel Abblink really perks my interest, even though she is wearing more clothes /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RailbirdJAM
08-24-2004, 10:42 AM
LOL! Scott Frost may be the best one-pocket player at this time (IMO). Rodney plays all games well. When he is in the pit during tournament play, he always sits quietly and has a habit of looking away from the table while he opponent is shooting. He's a quiet unassuming young man and extremely polite. He was wearing his Capone's shirt proudly, a pool room in Springhill, Florida, where he is the house pro. Tony "T-Rex" Chohan was short on collared shirts and had to borrow a black Capone's shirt from Rodney, since they're both about the same size.

Buddy Hall's cue-stick has a wrap extending to the end of the butt. He holds his cue-stick a little further back, so this seems logical. I hadn't seen that before.

Rachel Abllink who hails from Canada was traveling with Larry Nevel. She's a real pistol with a graceful presence at the table. She was the only girl that entered the 9-ball tournament, and she won her first two rounds. The second round, she beat Richmond's [The Playing Field] Larry Kressel, who just came in second in the Virginia State 9-Ball Open recently [Ouch! LOL]. She is dead serious about pool, and I think we'll all be reading about her in the months ahead. She was a hit at the Carolinas Open!

Got a chance to speak to Tony Crosby, England's gift to the States. One can't help but notice his striking light blue eyes, and he is drop-dead good-looking (IMO). Currently living in Florida, he won't be coming to the U.S. Open. He's taking his newborn baby and wife back to his home country of England to visit with his family. He knocked Keith out of the 9-ball tournament, but not without a small battle. Tony did run a 4-pack in this match, and his break is excellent. These GC III's broke easy, according to many of the players. I think the biggest run was Jeremy Jones' 8-pack against Ryan "The Genie Man" McCreesh, with the side ball flying in the corner every time (LOL).

The semifinals of the 9-ball tournament with Johnny Archer, Jeremy Jones, Shannon Daulton, and Rodney Morris consisted of a caliber of pool by all four players that I hadn't seen in a long time. Johnny's going to be the player of this decade, no question, but Texan "Double J" doesn't make very many mistakes on the table and is capable of keeping his opponents benched.

This year's U.S. Open, September 5-12, is going to be a blast. Everybody was talking about it!

RailbirdJAM

Eric.
08-24-2004, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the pics and write up, Jen! For those of us that can't be there, it's nice to be able to keep up wit hwhats goin on in Pool. Hope to run into you guys at the Open.

Eric

pooltchr
08-24-2004, 12:11 PM
Great pictures! Hope I can make it up there next year.

dg-in-centralpa
08-24-2004, 03:02 PM
Great pics.

DG - thinks Karri's outfit should be standard wear on the WPBA tour

woody_968
08-24-2004, 03:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Great pics.

DG - thinks Karri's outfit should be standard wear on the WPBA tour <hr /></blockquote>

Im not sure that you would want to see ALL the women on the WPBA tour wearing that outfit /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

But then again, the good might outway the bad. Or is that the bad would out weigh the good? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

piglit
08-25-2004, 05:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RailbirdJAM:</font><hr> ...The second round, she beat Richmond's [The Playing Field] Larry Kressel, who just came in second in the Virginia State 9-Ball Open recently [Ouch! LOL]...RailbirdJAM <hr /></blockquote>

I thought the VA thing went (from 1st down): Chris Loar, some dude named Keith Mc something(!!), Walter Koch, Pookie Rasmelongon...

-piga

piglit
08-25-2004, 05:52 AM
Crap! Sorry to be right back, but I forgot to say that I always love your pictures! Thank heaven for you and your camera!

-pige

RailbirdJAM
08-25-2004, 09:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote piglit:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote RailbirdJAM:</font><hr> ...The second round, she beat Richmond's [The Playing Field] Larry Kressel, who just came in second in the Virginia State 9-Ball Open recently [Ouch! LOL]...RailbirdJAM <hr /></blockquote>

I thought the VA thing went (from 1st down): Chris Loar, some dude named Keith Mc something(!!), Walter Koch, Pookie Rasmelongon...-piga <hr /></blockquote>

Piga, you're exactly right. After a while, these tournaments run together, going to three tournaments at The Playing Field in Richmond all in a month. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

You are correct about the results of first one (VA State 9-Ball).

The Planet Pool 9-Ball Tour had a tourney there the next weekend, and Japanese No. 1 player Hiroshi Takenaka and Myoki Sakai won both the open and ladies events. Thrilling tournament!

Hiroshi got knocked out first round and ended up facing house favorite Larry Kressel in the winners' bracket, and Hiroshi beat him twice to win first place. Excellent performance by both!

RailbirdJAM

dg-in-centralpa
08-25-2004, 03:43 PM
You're right but then again I wouldn't look good in a skimpy speedo either. People would throw money at me to cover up.

DG - not as good looking as some