PDA

View Full Version : FOUL OUT! question pleez

05-12-2002, 06:26 AM
I'd like to find out what is the general rule for getting fouled out at the game of nine ball? Does it have to be 3 fouls in a row or not?

rackmup
05-12-2002, 06:30 AM
Some tournaments have the "three foul rule." Of course, they would be "all in a row" unless there is some other specific rule indicated by the TD.

What was the scenario?

Ken

05-12-2002, 06:38 AM
Just like to find out in case I get to argue with friends. I just want to find out if it has to 3 in a row or not. Thanks!

rackmup
05-12-2002, 06:54 AM
The rule is usually three in a row, not three per game or per match. It is typically the result of being "saftied", then again and again.

I saw a guy this weekend get saftied and couldn't hit his ball (first foul). His opponent then hooked him again (second foul). His opponent hooked him again for the third time but not as tightly. The guy executed a beautiful jump shot, pocketed his ball but scratched (third foul...loss of game.) He went on to beat "Mr. Safety" for the match.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-12-2002, 07:58 AM
The 3 fouls have to be consecutive. And, the opponent must anounce to the player that has the 2 consecutive fouls prior to the 3rd time at the table.. that "you are on 2 fouls" if this is not done, the 3rd foul (if it happens) does not constitue loss of game.. but that person is still on '2 fouls' if they get another trun at the table.

I have often wondered why this rule is in place in 9 ball. It does take quite a bit of skill to position the cue ball in a safe position for maybe 2 or 3 shots.. but the player that has ball in hand... should be able to clear the table the majority of the time.. if they are good players..

Lots of local tournaments (here in Cincinnati) have eliminated the 3 foul rule altogether.. too many disruptions (TD has to make rulings all the time) and players (good players too) don't like the rule..

Drake
05-12-2002, 11:09 AM
I have to disagree with you. We have a couple of big handicapped tournaments where the players race to their handicap number. Like a 10 playing a 5 has to get 10 games before the 5 handicapper gets to 5. The three foul rule is great for when the balls get tied up and and your playing a 5.

05-12-2002, 11:32 AM
It has to be three fouls in a row. You have to warn the person your playing that there on two fouls. If not they can foul the third time and not count as game becasue you didnt warn them.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-12-2002, 12:08 PM
Drake,
You aren't disagreeing with me, you are just stating your own opinion. I respect your point either way.
I just have never understood WHY the rule is there in the 1st place.

05-12-2002, 12:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Drake,
You aren't disagreeing with me, you are just stating your own opinion. I respect your point either way.
I just have never understood WHY the rule is there in the 1st place.
<hr></blockquote>

i always figured that, since everything about 9-ball is engineered for fast t.v. play, they wanted to avoid any kind of safety battles.

dan

Tom_In_Cincy
05-12-2002, 12:20 PM
HD
You are probably correct. The safety battles are one of the most exciting parts of maching up. I've seen some really creative shots come up trying to make a good hit.

I Memphis.. in the late 70s or very early 80s. Allen Hopkins was playing in the finals and the cue ball was in the middle of the end rail of the rack end of the table, and the one ball was at the other end of the table, on the end rail, Froze.. Allen Kicked it in and left him self almost the exact shot for the two ball.. so he kicked it in. The crowd went absolutely WILD..

Allen still lost the match.. but what a great shot.. Twice..