PDA

View Full Version : US OPEN LIST IS OUT

cueball1950
08-24-2004, 10:58 PM
i just got an email detailing the list for the OPEN. Guess who's name is on top of the list....OUR own Chris Airdo, aka chris cass. the cass man. way to go chris. wait a minute. no wonder he is on top of the list. it is in alphabetical order...lol...where is my brain tonight. Heck. i even hope i spelled his last name right....lol....good luck chris. it will be my pleasure to see you again...mike

Chris Cass
08-24-2004, 11:14 PM
Remember my first day in basic training. The drill said, hey Alphabet, drop and give me 20. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
08-24-2004, 11:19 PM
Not always the best place on "TOP" of the list?

See ya in about 12 days.

Chris Cass
08-24-2004, 11:47 PM
Hi Tom,

This is too funny. In basic one day the drill sargent, we had 4 total. Were all standing infront of the formation getting ready to march us over to another trainning site, as we did every single day for 6 weeks.

One drill called me out, to grab this trash bag. I took it and quickly went back into formation. As the 4 drills called the company to attention and started our march out by platoons. I looked in the bag. I jumped out of formation as we passed the dumpster and threw out, the trash bag full of rags.

Turned out after the 5 mile walk. The drill ordered me up front of the platoon. As the company of 4 platoons had reformated. He said, Alphabet, where's the bag I gave you? I said, I threw it in the trash drill sargent. He said, What! I replied I threw out the bag of rags in the trash drill sargent(yelling louder).

I had 4 drills all up in my face yelling at one time. In front of the entire company. Turned out the bag was filled with the field bandages we were suppose to be trainning with. When we finally got back and ready for lunch the drill called me up in front of the entire company and put me in the front leaning rest and told me to start doing push ups. As he marched the platoon, over to the mess hall, he told me to stop when I hit China. He just so happen to remember that day when we got to the gas chamber too.

Regards,

C.C.~~ahh yes, the good old days. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Chris Cass
08-25-2004, 12:14 AM
Oh yaa,

Mike Segal playing. Earl the Pearl, Efren. Can't wait. I'm seeing Larry Nevel too. Looks like I'll be having a great time.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
08-25-2004, 12:16 AM
Hi Tom,

Would you like to join me at the players meeting?

Regards,

C.C.

RailbirdJAM
08-25-2004, 02:42 AM
Got a call from Jose Parica last night from California. He's been in the Philippines, Manila to be exact, which is why he missed the Carolinas Open last week.

I'm picking him up at BWI airport in Baltimore on the 4th of September. He got a good deal on an airline ticket for 200 bucks to BWI from California. He said after the Open, he will be going to Dubai to compete in a major tournament.

A lot of players will be competing in the Planet Pool 9-Ball Tour event on September 4th and 5th at Great Slates in Cambridge, Maryland, about a 3-hour drive from the Chesapeake Conference Center where the Open will take place.
If the $500 entry fee is paid for the Open in advance, then players who participate in this tourney don't have to be in Virginia for the players meeting at 7:00 p.m. on Sunday, September 5th.

Let's just hope the weather stays calm this year, with the exception of one Earthquake (LOL)! Looking forward to the Open and hope to see you all there! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RailbirdJAM

Wally_in_Cincy
08-25-2004, 06:11 AM
got a link?

eg8r
08-25-2004, 07:07 AM
Mike Sigel is going to play this year. Woohoo, I missed him when he played in the Seniors tournament here a year or so ago. Hopefully he can find his way to a TV table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Perk
08-25-2004, 07:13 AM
Can you post the list or the link?

Thanks.

Rich R.
08-25-2004, 07:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> got a link? <hr /></blockquote>
http://www.usopen9ballchampionships.com/press_releases.php

9 Ball Girl
08-25-2004, 08:08 AM
There are several guys who always play that are not listed so I'm assuming that the list will get longer.

Nostroke
08-25-2004, 08:24 AM
I hate to tell you but Sigel is only listed because he is a past champion and his entry is automatically paid.I hope he plays but i doubt it.

RedHell
08-25-2004, 10:22 AM
It should get longer, for one the current world champion isn't listed and I doubt that Alex will miss the Open.

Also, Danny Hewitt isn't listed and I think that he's going.

Nostroke
08-25-2004, 11:01 AM
There are probably a hundred more guys coming.Pool players are not known for paying for tournaments too far in advance if they can at all help it

SPetty
08-25-2004, 11:24 AM
The press release also includes the words "We expect a FULL Field of 256 Players!" even though there are less than 100 on the list right now. BUT, as you point out, some of those 100 are on the list simply because they have won before. It seems a bit misleading to me to include the names of all the past winners on a player's list if you aren't fairly certain they'll be playing. What if I went to special effort to attend just to watch Mike Sigel play, and he's not playing and has no intention of playing. Seems just a little shady...

Chris Cass
08-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Hi SPetty,

More as a draw for sure but it's not with the intent so, it's not a foul. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

woody_968
08-25-2004, 11:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> What if I went to special effort to attend just to watch Mike Sigel play, and he's not playing and has no intention of playing. <hr /></blockquote>

Yup, he is a big draw and there would be alot of disapointed people if he didnt play. It seems like I read that they are on the list unless they have notified them that they wont be playing, or if they hadnt shown up in the past, but I could have totally misread that part /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I would think they should wait for some type of confirmation before adding them to the players list.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-25-2004, 12:24 PM
Yes, Chris, I will be glad to join you.

I've always enjoyed the 'player's meeting' it's almost worth the trip just by itself.

Steve Lipsky
08-25-2004, 12:44 PM
Hey Mike. I saw the press release at AZBilliards, and I'm less than impressed. Has nothing to do with the player list, either; it's the grammatical errors. They're egregious. Words are just spontaneously capitalized in the middle of sentences. Late entry fees will "endure" a late fee? Barry signs off with a "thankfully"? "Thankfully" might theoretically be correct, but the connotation is different than what he means. Wouldn't "Thank you," have been better?

Am I making too much of this? I don't know. Is it too much to ask someone writing a press release to make it as professional as possible? And if you know your writing skills are a bit suspect, can't you pass the document off to someone who might "touch it up" for you?

On chat boards and such, I really couldn't care less about people's written skills. Chat boards are about getting ideas across - nothing more. But a press release? I don't think we can bemoan the state of pool when this is what we're dealing with. If I were a local/national news director and this hit my desk, it'd be in the trash immediately.

I really like Barry, too. That is why this surprises me so much.

- Steve

bxcar
08-25-2004, 01:46 PM
If the 9 ball is made accidentally in the middle of the game, doesn't that ball have to be spotted, a friend claims that he wins the game even though the ball was not called and it was purely an accident.

cueball1950
08-25-2004, 02:02 PM
hi steve....what can i say. you know barry. likes to play with words. maybe he did not go to college...lol...but i also do not see tony robles name there. wonder if he is boycotting again cuz of charlie. he made several claims that he was going to play. i hope so..............mike

9 Ball Girl
08-25-2004, 02:22 PM
Tony is definitely playing, at least that's what he told me. He's actually looking forward to it and he's already got his room at the Holiday Inn. I also didn't see Chohan, Kang, Eberle (he told me he wasn't sure if he was going to make it this year), Saez, Hernandez, among others.

RailbirdJAM
08-25-2004, 04:06 PM
I saw Tony Chohan at the Carolinas Open, and he is definitely going to the Open. He said he didn't think Amar Kang was coming.

Pool players are the BIGGEST proscrastinators when it comes to paying entry fees, many times one hour before the players' meeting (LOL). This is one of the biggest difficulties encountered by promoters, sad to say.

Last week at the Carolinas Open, instead of 32 players showing up for the one-pocket, they had 56. When 121 players showed up for the 9-ball tournament, instead of the advertised 64, it made for a great tournament, but with only 10 tables to play on, the match times were uncertain at all times. There was only one chair or hard stool per every 20 spectators. The promoters wouldn't dream of turning anybody away, and the staff miraculously managed the hordes of spectators, players, and regulars. Next year, there will be bleachers!

I think Allen Hopkins has the right idea. His pro event at Valley Forge is limited to 64 players. From personal experience, I and many others NOW know that if you don't pay in advance, you won't get to play at all. The field fills up FAST. It is a good deterrent to those late-paying pool players (IMO). /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I read Steve Lipsky's comments about the quality of the press release and have to smile. Things like that stick out like a sore thumb to me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

If you think the U.S. Open Press Release is "flawed," you should check out the UPA website. There is a consistent misuse of the words "insure" and "ensure," and it is riddled with punctuation errors throughout. I brought some of the errors to the attention of a UPA player representative friend, especially the incorrect date (January 1, 1995)on page 2 of the Code of Conduct relating to life and liability insurance benefits (LOL), but to date, it remains the same. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

We have a list in my office of errors we find in The Washington Post. Even with the huge staff of editors, they still seem to fumble occasionally when it comes to spelling, punctuation, and correct grammar usage. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Personally, if I didn't have spell-check, I'd be in big trouble! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

RailbirdJAM

PQQLK9
08-25-2004, 04:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bxcar:</font><hr> If the 9 ball is made accidentally in the middle of the game, doesn't that ball have to be spotted, a friend claims that he wins the game even though the ball was not called and it was purely an accident. <hr /></blockquote>

Your friend is right. The only time the nine is spotted is on a scratch.

Rip
08-25-2004, 05:51 PM
I'll ask Mike tomorrow if he's planning on participating in the OPEN.
Regards,
Rip

ras314
08-25-2004, 07:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RailbirdJAM:</font><hr> Personally, if I didn't have spell-check, I'd be in big trouble! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
<hr /></blockquote>
Trouble is I have to spell it close enough for spellcheck to work a reader can probabley figger out what I meant. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Looking forward to meeting you and the Earthquake at the open. Even if he is the guy that wupped on my bud Chris Cass last year. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Cass
08-25-2004, 08:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bxcar:</font><hr> If the 9 ball is made accidentally in the middle of the game, doesn't that ball have to be spotted, a friend claims that he wins the game even though the ball was not called and it was purely an accident. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi bxcar,

Well, where did you come from? I see this is your first post. Welcome aboard. Normally, you'd post something like this on the pool side, in which your in the right place. However, your subject line would be something like, "9 Ball Rules Question."

This is done by entering "Post" at the top of the list of posts to look at. After posting is completed and you can preview what's you've wrote and also spell check. I don't use the spell check, cause I'm a rebel. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Anyway, then you hit continue. Entering continue twice will make your post loaded. You do have to hit the box below that says, preview my post first.

Now, you've created a new post. The players answering your questions will create, what we call a thread. You may answer each individual. If you care to or to save space for future incoming threads? You can also answer in bulk with a few people at the same time too.

What your asking is off the subject line of this particular post and we refer this as, highjacking a thread. I sometimes do this too but, I'm a rebel.

Now, to answer your question. Yes, the 9 is spotted if, it's made un-intentionally or intentionaly. That's if the lowest ball on the table is not, contacted first by the cue ball. Otherwise, it is a win.

I hope your not talking about 8 ball. LOL

Regards,

C.C.

eg8r
08-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Ahhh, that makes sense. Thanks.

eg8r

Righty
08-27-2004, 03:53 AM
The US Open is a joke. I've heard at least 20 stories about a bunch of different players dumping their matches because of side action. Unbelievable how crooked some people are.

ELnino
08-27-2004, 06:13 AM
Why would you say the U.S. Open is a joke because you "heard stories". I'm sure dumping goes on in (ALL) tournaments not just the Open. It's obvious to me you've never been to the Open because it is the greatest event in pool.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-27-2004, 06:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Righty:</font><hr> The US Open is a joke. ....<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the warning Mr. Pool Expert. I guess I won't be going now LOL.

Chris Cass
08-27-2004, 06:45 AM
Righty,

I think you've been watching COM too many times. That's the most bizzare thing I've ever heard. From what I saw and heard and I was there. Some might lose their first match and weigh the work of fighting their way back 2 matches, to back to where they were, might concider leaving and going to attend another event?

Some might concider taking a lesser finish to make the side action a plus but dump to go gamble? I highly doubt that that would be the case. Any of these players no matter what the finish is, can get action anytime. I'm sorry but you'd have to show me the money (proof).

Heck, I even saw players that stayed out too late and slept through their first match. Hello Eric Durbin. He did show his stuff the next match though. WTG Eric. Jimmy Ried, had lost his first match and decided to go the the next tourney, that was soon to start. He opt'd to forfiet his B bracket match and get early to the next tourney. No shame there just common sence. The side action? Yes, there were some. However, there also was a hurricane going on. The power was lost to all the hotels and the pool hall. This made it totally uncomfortable living as well as wondering if you were going to get wiped off the face of the earth. That caused many to pick up and leave. No power, no shower, no hot food, a curfew. To mention a few.

That's common sence too. The Holiday Inn made the stay there as comfortable as they could. The hot food by sterno and the cots set up, the jammed eating areas filled with kids and dogs and felt like a fall out shelter. All that was tough but we all made the best of it. Talking to Cory and he asked to join us for dinner but the table was full. What a good kid. It reminded me of how people can pull togather and make the best of things. Please don't let others just right this off as a money thing.

Please don't take this as me calling you out but rather as me unable to agree with what your suggesting. I've talked to a few people that believe that JJ shouldn't have won but I saw him shoot and he clearly deserved to win. He's even has been showing it too, as of late.

Too many player haters and too many suspicious minds.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
08-27-2004, 06:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Righty:</font><hr> The US Open is a joke. ....<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the warning Mr. Pool Expert. I guess I won't be going now LOL. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm still wondering how Mosconi did so well as a player with playing a beginners game. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~no chalk neccessary? That's a good one.

Rich R.
08-27-2004, 07:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>Too many player haters and too many suspicious minds. <hr /></blockquote>
If someone places a bet on one player and the other player wins, they want to believe their player dumped. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Some people just don't want to lose, when they gamble. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Deeman2
08-27-2004, 12:30 PM
Righty,

The U.S. Open may be a joke to you but it's about the best thing we have going. I don't know of any other domestic pool event that has it's own CCB Tournament and is as important to the players to win. You said you have heard 20 stories about it. I guess there are stroies about all tournaments everywhere. There may be some dumps, but most players who are lucky enough and skilled enough to get the opportunity to play in this tournament would not give up the slighest chance to win it if they could.

I just hope the misfortunes that have happened for the past two years, especially the weather last year, is kinder to the players and fans this year. You have to love the game to go through what Chris and the others did last year. I think those of us who can't make it this year /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif all wish the players and fans that do attend a great tournament.

I know I'll be waiting for the precious few matches that make it onto TV this year.

I know they have had personal, financial and natural disasters to content with for so long, I don't know if I would have the energy and courage to keep putting it on every year. We have to applaude them for sticking with it when many of us would have folded our tent and went home.

I Love the U.S. Open, warts and all.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Chris Cass
08-27-2004, 03:03 PM
Ride on Deeman,

I appreciate your support and I'm sure Barry and Brady do too. With all that's happened to that one particular event it still holds high in the industry. Now, is the time to strike and take it off. It has some well known world beaters in it already but there's many that aren't in it too.

To take that title is one that would pave the road for not only recognition but sponsorship monies needed for most. Why would you want to dump that? Most would rather take that thing off without entering the B bracket.

Like I said, for the little no name guys with tons of heart and think they can hang with these champions, it's a dream come true. Don't think there's nothing on the line for these little puffs of smoke. If we do something noteworthy we could very well be giving up every amature event I can think of as the pro rating will lock us out.

We might not even get a sponsor for future events and to get locked out of any chance of making money in any other events sounds crazy. But, we are there to put it out and let the chips fall as they may. That's one of the reasons I admire Larry Nevel so much. He was making very good money in the amatures. He went for it and still he goes.

I myself, will go and give my best. I only hope that someone doesn't feel the way Righty feels about the event. The examples he's using is just degrading the event and some of it's players. I just can't see anyone dumping at this time. Not for the money that can be made in the long run nor the precious title either.

Regards,

C.C.~~to me it's a dream and worth losing any amature status. I'm old though and it's my time to show or blow. younger, I never would think of going. just too much money making in the amatures. coming up there was no pro status and anyone could by a MPBA card and play as pro. now, you have to earn it.

9 Ball Girl
08-27-2004, 03:11 PM
And lets not forget. The fans as well as the players, of course, all contribute to what is the U.S. Open. It all goes hand in hand, IMO.

Wendy&lt;---5 more work days...

Chris Cass
08-27-2004, 03:20 PM
Without fans, there's nothing.

Good point Wendy,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif counts on sitting right behind me saying, how you like my new case cassman? lol