PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Expo - Some Questions.

woody_968
08-25-2004, 11:24 AM
I am thinking of going to the Midwest Expo and was trying to figure all my expenses to see if it is something I can swing.

I know what the entry fees are, but they mention it will be played on Diamond Smart tables. Does the entry fee include "green fees" or will we be putting money in the tables as well?

Anyone have any idea what I may have to spend on parking?

What will the fees be to get into the seating areas of the pro events?

Other than entry, hotel, food, gas, parking, and money to watch the pros, is there anything else I need to plan on?

Thanks for any info or advise I can get.

Chris Cass
08-25-2004, 11:32 AM
Hi Woody,

http://www.pooltournaments.net/midwest/registration.php

BLACKHEART
08-25-2004, 12:31 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Connie & I will be there again, wearin' our BLACK HEART garb, watch for us. Maybe this time, we will meet up...JER

dmgwalsh
08-25-2004, 01:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> I am thinking of going to the Midwest Expo and was trying to figure all my expenses to see if it is something I can swing.

I know what the entry fees are, but they mention it will be played on Diamond Smart tables. Does the entry fee include "green fees" or will we be putting money in the tables as well?

Anyone have any idea what I may have to spend on parking?

What will the fees be to get into the seating areas of the pro events?

Other than entry, hotel, food, gas, parking, and money to watch the pros, is there anything else I need to plan on?

Thanks for any info or advise I can get. <hr /></blockquote>

Woody- Last year, they had to feed the tables.
Parking was free.

I may go just to watch and buy some junk. I hardly ever play on small tables. The guy who runs our straight pool league out of Red Shoes appears to be running the Banks and One Pocket tournaments unless it's another John Lavin. I'll probably see yo there if I go. Dennis

woody_968
08-25-2004, 02:58 PM
Dennis, once I find out for sure I am going I will let you know. One of the reasons I want to go is to try and meet up with you and thank you in person for all you have done. Hope to meet up with CC as well if he is still going, and will be looking for a couple wearing Black Heart shirts as well /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bob
08-25-2004, 03:44 PM
Hello!

Yes, it is the same John Lavin of Red Shoes Billiards in Alsip, IL. He is running both the Bank and One Pocket events.

Yes, You have to feed the tables on all events EXCEPT the One Pocket and Pro Events. They are $1.00 coin op 7 foot Diamond Smart tables with super pro Aramith and red circle cue balls. All Diamond tables have 860 Simonis cloth for the best in tournament play ~ plug, lol!

There will be a nominal entry fee into the Mega for those who are NOT playing in any of the events. Otherwise, if you are playing in an event it is free.

As far as getting into the pro event, it is FREE unless you require VIP seating, then there will be a nominal charge.

Golf ~ ok guys I know a lot of you play and it's here at Pheasant Run Resort. 18 holes of championship golf, breakfast lunch and dinner included on Wednesday, October 6, 2004, 11AM shot gun start 4 man scramble.

The rooms are from $69.00 to $99.00 per night plus tx and resort fee or higher if you chose to get an upgraded room type. The resort is 144 rooms ahead of last years count at this time and IS selling out quick. You can call them direct at 630-584-6300 and ask for reservations and tell them the billiard rate, otherwise you will be charged a much higher rate. You cannot book on line. IF you have any problems call me direct at 630-244-2900 and I will help with you with it.

There are other hotels in the area. Keep in mind that the closest is across the street and it is the Hyatt. They will charge you in excess of $129.00 per night. There is a Super 8 and others that are less expensive, but they are 5 or some miles down the road and parking when you get to the resort is going to be packed. Parking is FREE if you can find a spot.

Keep in mind that in addition to cash awards, the winners of the 8, 9 Ball in both divisions, Pro event and golf outing receive a cruise for 2 for 3 nights and 4 days to the Bahamas. We will also be raffling off some trips as well.

AZBilliards is planning a get together on Saturday night, there will be signs posted for this. If you all would like to add BD to the party, we will be happy to promote it.

All other info is at www.pooltournaments.net (http://www.pooltournaments.net)

Looking forward to seeing all!

Eydie

AndreaWilson
08-25-2004, 04:15 PM
We're coming too! We won't know anybody except Dave Syrja who is involved with running the eight ball and nine ball events. My hubby and I will be looking for a blackheart couple and any others to whom we can put faces to names. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif as long as I won't be expected to remember people a year later when I might meet them again. Getting excited already, but I'm sure I'm not as wound up as C.C. Can you still sleep? Good luck in the "Open" Chris. /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Chris Cass
08-25-2004, 09:27 PM
Thank you Andrea,

I don't sleep much. I get sick about every two or three hrs alnight long. This has been going on forever. I have two ulcers and they're caused by the pills I have to take. These pills would be cause enough for someone to be arrested while operating a pencil. Not to mention the recent balogney. LOL

Started playing 9 ball and I have like the next 10 days? To get ready. I'm fine other than that. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~see you at the Midwest Expo. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jimmy B
08-26-2004, 01:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Thank you Andrea,

Started playing 9 ball and I have like the next 10 days? To get ready. I'm fine other than that. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~see you at the Midwest Expo. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Chris, I think you need to take a page out of Spike's book, remember it's a game and have FUN. The rest will come, BTW 10 days is more then you need to get ready, [censored] you've been "getting ready" for the past 30 years. Go have fun and play some pool. I won't be there this year so leave my gifts home.

JB

Rich R.
08-26-2004, 03:45 AM
You could always look for people wearing CCB pins. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, say "Hi" to Dave and Joanne for me.

Chris Cass
08-26-2004, 07:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr>Hey Chris, I think you need to take a page out of Spike's book, remember it's a game and have FUN. The rest will come, BTW 10 days is more then you need to get ready, [censored] you've been "getting ready" for the past 30 years. Go have fun and play some pool. I won't be there this year so leave my gifts home.

JB <hr /></blockquote>

LOL Don't I know it Jimmy. I'm good to go today. It's the game I must play at this point. I've went through the lull period of after drilling. That's when you can't make much and then out of the blue, everything comes togather. I try to explain this to players that take on the task of drilling hard. Don't ask why this is. I think it's due to the thought of the mechanics and delivery of the stroke. Once you forget about what your body is doing it all comes routine and your mind focusing on the task at hand. The mechanics will then, fall in line. That's the effects of entering information into memory muscle. You know that stuff already.

The way I see it. I'm only going to make one ball. The one that I'm shooting. Nothing more than that simple task. I've went through some tough love and I've went through the effects of the sky if falling. LOL Now, I'm ready as I can be.

I will take a suggestion from a good friend and take a few days to enjoy my family. This is really hard on both of them. Heide is very worried about being away from me. Understandable after what she went through when I was laid up.

Spike on the other hand is another story. That kid wants to play. lol He seen me waxing the JJustis and told me, "Dad. what are you doing?" I told him I was doing my once a yr maintenance on my case. He replied, "Geez Dad, it's only a case." If you seen his? You'd know why he would say that. I told him, unlike you I take care of my things and want them to last. I need to post a pic of how he likes his Instroke case. LOL JJustis just don't make, just a case. That's an art form. imho

Hey Jimbo, It's not the shooting part that I've really been working on. Even though all the drilling and stroke exercises have been many. It's the mental part of the game that's been the real exercise. The confidence that the drills instill, has put me right there where I need to be.

I know your going to play the DCC tourney coming around the corner. I'm sure you'll have something in mind for your prep also for that event. Hopefully, you'll let us know what they are when it starts to grow closer. I find the prep more interesting read than the actual playing. Things the pros don't tell you or talk much about. Results are also interesting but I find that I don't concern myself with results but more the resultant of.

Oh, Spike says hi to you and the entire group on the ledge. LOL I don't think he's enjoyed himself more than being with his crew. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Leviathan
08-26-2004, 08:26 AM
'Morning, Chris:

"The way I see it. I'm only going to make one ball. The one that I'm shooting."

I love your approach, C-Man.

You know I feel bad about your sleep problems and your nausea, but I had a thought: a lot of players live like wildmen; they look like they puke every 2 hours and never sleep at all. Hell, you're even with those guys physically, and you're way ahead of them in wisdom and character! You're gonna play some pool and show us some class, Chris--I can see it coming.

Nothing much happening here. Working like a dog and playing like a jerk, but the sun's gonna shine one day soon!

--Alan

Chris Cass
08-26-2004, 09:18 AM
Hi Duke,

I'm ok with it. It's like a normal event for me. It takes time to adjust to what I have plumbing wise and it's almost my preshot routine. lol

Seriously, that's not a major problem for me as bad as it sounds. I don't like it but, it beats the alternative. I have every confidence in the world I'll do just fine. Many pros go 2 and out and all of us amatures do the same most of the time. It's like win one, get a bye and 2 and out. lol

Just the game we play. Heck, I've spent most of my life shooting off the rail and in the loser bracket. Matter of fact, I kind of like the pressure of the loser bracket. Makes me want to win all the more. I also would like to get as far as I can through the winner bracket.

You know, forget that old school winner bracket and loser bracket thing. I think I'm going to rename them, side A and side B brackets. Sounds much more less degrading. Don't you think? Yep, it's going to be my new positive approach to tourney play.

Glad we had this helpful talk,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Leviathan
08-26-2004, 09:41 AM
Yeah, A and B, or maybe just Right Side and Left Side. A and B sound kinda like sanitation grades at fast food places. Avoid the B's at all costs! Which reminds me--I've been trying to eat healthy lately. It's horrible. No little square cheeseburgers, no ice cream sandwiches. Maybe that's why my game is off.

A

Mr Ingrate
08-26-2004, 11:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> You know, forget that old school winner bracket and loser bracket thing. I think I'm going to rename them, side A and side B brackets. Sounds much more less degrading. <hr /></blockquote>
Chris,

I like to refer to the chart as having a No-Loss Side and a One-Loss Side. Realistic AND "much more less degrading." /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Love that yogi-berra-esque turn of phrase.

woody_968
08-26-2004, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>
I've went through the lull period of after drilling. That's when you can't make much and then out of the blue, everything comes togather. I try to explain this to players that take on the task of drilling hard. Don't ask why this is.
C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

I have actually found that sometimes after several days of hard drilling (no pun intended) that if I take a couple of days off I come back and everything kicks in. My wife read a book that talks about this and why it works but I dont remember what she said /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jimmy B
08-27-2004, 02:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>
I know your going to play the DCC tourney coming around the corner. I'm sure you'll have something in mind for your prep also for that event. Hopefully, you'll let us know what

Regards,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>
I haven't made the final plans yet but still have all intentions of playing. I am afraid that my prep will in some way leave you feeling empty. My plans would be to go 2 and out but since it's single elim with a buy back I think I'll hope to draw the biggest name I can so that when I go down in flames I can say well I lost but I had to play Efren. I am going to play because I love pool and I love the fact that we have opportunities that no other sport has (poker is no sport), I can't think of any golfer I know who wouldn't play in the Masters if they could just pay their way in or Tennis player who could play on the courts at Wimbledon with the top players in the sport. We as pool players have a chance to get in the box with the best in the world and although I have a realistic way of viewing it knowing I can't win I just want to be there trying. [censored] in 20 years I'll still have my players badge and I can lie about how well I played, who's going to argue? I think my prep will just be to play as much pool as I can going up to it (maybe 2-3 weeks of 4-5 nights a week, then just go and have fun, there will be no pressure since I am very much honest with my abilities and skill level. I just hope that I play up to what I know I am capable of, then if and when I lose I can at least hang my hat on the fact that I did my best and hopefully I won't embarrass myself too bad. There is no shame in losing IMO I've done both and often times have won shooting bad and felt worse then winning shooting crappy.

JB

Jimmy B
08-27-2004, 02:11 AM
Also tell Spike I said HI, I still look at the pics I took and laugh thinking of the fun we had. We didn't sit there like it was church we really got into the matches and had fun. I think having a kid there to remind us that it's really a fun game and to show that we should view the game like he does really helped. I can't imagine how great it must be to have a Father who is into something and who I could share trips like that and VF with. You guys have something special being able to share a love of a game. He made that trip fun and I'll never forget it. Now go tell him I said take care of his stuff and some day he'll have a Justis case, but not until he learns to respect it and take care of it /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif Oh yeah and that didn't mean I'm buying it for him.

JB

Chris Cass
08-27-2004, 07:17 AM
Hi Jimmy,

I'll relay the message. You must be kidding you buy him one? That kid has more money than you and I have put togather. He makes $20. a week alone in lawns and I give him $3.00 an hr to work the counter at the ph when I work. That's half of my pay.

Then, he saves it to when he wants something and will blow it in a second. I swear it burns a hole in his pocket. I can't say anything because he works hard for his doe. What more could you ask of a kid like that?

He started his first day of school today and yes, he's on the football team(FC). I gave him all the warning signs and what could happen from Voodoo' experiences but he told me, I know, I just want to play and be a jock. This morning he asked me what a jock was. HAHAHAHAHAHA

I told him, "a kid that don't pick up his room and he'll fit in just fine." HAHAHAHA

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
08-27-2004, 07:19 AM
Hi Jimmy,

I'm scared to go the DCC. I think I'd never go home.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif still wears my hat Dennis. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
08-27-2004, 07:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> That kid has more money than you and I have put togather. He makes $20. a week alone in lawns and I give him $3.00 an hr to work the counter at the ph when I work. That's half of my pay.

Then, he saves it to when he wants something and will blow it in a second. I swear it burns a hole in his pocket. I can't say anything because he works hard for his doe. What more could you ask of a kid like that? <hr /></blockquote>
Chris, believe it or not, Spike is learning the value of a dollar. He is working for the money and he is saving it for something he wants. I'm sure he has no regrets, when he buys something.
I follow the same practice myself. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Saving for something, and buying it, is a much better practice than buying something, on the charge card, then trying to pay for it, plus interest, like a lot of people do. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Spike is leaning the correct way to do things. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif