PDA

View Full Version : Bush vs Olympic's Copyrights

Troy
08-26-2004, 08:43 PM
Bush has refused to cancel the political ads mentioning the "Olympics". This is in violation of copyright rights. Everyone else using the "Olympics" in ads must get permission or cease and desist. What makes Bush an exception ??? That's a bunch of crap. But there's not enough time to fight his decision which he would certainly lose.

This is the same Bush who didn't know enough to put his hand over his heart during the National Anthem (at the Daytona 500 in Feb).

/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

eg8r
08-27-2004, 06:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is the same Bush who didn't know enough to put his hand over his heart during the National Anthem (at the Daytona 500 in Feb).
<hr /></blockquote> Wow, if this is the worst you have him on, then he is not doing too bad.

As far as copyright infringement, I had not heard anything about it, but if it is true then he is wrong. He is even wrong asking to quiet the 527s. Freedom of speech is a dear thing and he and Kerry don't seem to care about it.

eg8r

highsea
08-27-2004, 11:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>He is even wrong asking to quiet the 527s. Freedom of speech is a dear thing and he and Kerry don't seem to care about it.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>I don't think Bush is trying to silence the 527's. He only wants to get them classified as political groups, so FEC regulations apply. Just trying to get some accountability into the process.

The Dems will fight this tooth and nail. Liberal groups have spent over $40 million on TV attack ads against Bush since March. Compare this to the $2 million spent by conservative groups.

If a 527 exists for the purpose of getting their candidate elected, and their ads mention the other candidate by name, then they are political ads, and should be subject to certain standards of accountability.

The whole object of McCain/Feingold was to remove the big money influence peddling, limiting private contributions to $2000 per person. The 527's exist solely to get around this rule, and there is zero oversight in how they spend their money or what they say. This has left politics dirtier than it's ever been in the past, and some level of regulation is sorely needed.

-CM

eg8r
08-27-2004, 12:05 PM
Ha ha, I will have to take your word for it. I have not read enough on what exactly Bush is calling for.

eg8r