PDA

View Full Version : Dings in the shaft

wantsumrice
08-27-2004, 09:51 AM
Hey guys,

I left for a 5-day soccer away camp, and I accidentally left my cue on the table. When I came back I found a lot of new dings on the shaft...which really upsets me.

Anyway, is there ANY way of getting rid of them??

thanks,
~ivan

JohnnyP
08-27-2004, 09:59 AM
Three ways:

1) Localised steam on each ding. I put a drop of water on the ding, and heat it with a soldering iron. This will raise the grain, so you will want to burnish it afterwards.

2) Rub each ding with a smooth glass rod. You will hear a "click" as the rod passes over the ding. Keep rubbing until the clicking stops. This compresses the grain around the ding.

3) Sanding

Chopstick
08-27-2004, 10:24 AM
OK. Here's the theory about the water and heat. Shaft wood is very dry. It needs to be to stay straight. This means that the water inside the cells of the wood has been removed. This leaves empty space inside the cells of the wood. The cells of the wood under the ding have been compressed. When you apply a drop of water to the ding and let it soak in the water goes back into the cells of the wood in the ding. When you apply heat the water expands and raises the ding back up. The wood grain will be rough when it comes back up so just smooth it over with a minimum 600 or higher grit sandpaper.

The number one rule in this process is BE PATIENT!! Work on each ding individually. Don't get in a hurry and watch the heat or you'll wind up with a black mark on your shaft. Been there, done that. You may have to repeat the process several times to get the tough dings. If a ding is too deep it will not come out.

Good luck and take your time.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-27-2004, 10:24 AM
Here's how I do it. Take a wet cloth and place it over the ding. Take a clothes iron and apply it to the cloth. The steam should raise the ding if it's not too deep. You may have to repeat this process.

After it dries sand lighly with cue papers (very fine sandpaper - 600 grit or higher.) One brand is called Q-Smooth papers.

Troy
08-27-2004, 10:43 AM
Put a small drop of water on the ding(s) to raise the grain. Lightly sand with 600-1000 grit. Burnish with a piece of un-dyed leather. Sanding and burnishing is much easier done on a lathe.
If you want, wait til you get to San Jose, look me up.

Troy...~~~ Blatant advertising, I know /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr> Hey guys,

I left for a 5-day soccer away camp, and I accidentally left my cue on the table. When I came back I found a lot of new dings on the shaft...which really upsets me.

thanks,
~ivan <hr /></blockquote>

Troy
08-27-2004, 11:33 AM
Ooops, after "Put a small drop of water on the ding to raise the grain", I forgot to say "Rub briskly with a smooth glass bottle or one of those glass rods".

Troy...~~~ Must be getting old... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> Put a small drop of water on the ding(s) to raise the grain. Lightly sand with 600-1000 grit. Burnish with a piece of un-dyed leather. Sanding and burnishing is much easier done on a lathe.
If you want, wait til you get to San Jose, look me up.

Troy...~~~ Blatant advertising, I know /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr> Hey guys,

thanks,
~ivan <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

wantsumrice
08-27-2004, 12:05 PM
I'm in San Jose right now /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Where do you live Troy?

I'll try all the methods when I get back to Mass.

~ivan

Sid_Vicious
08-27-2004, 12:09 PM
I simply take a syringe with water, get my magnifying hood on where I can easily see what I am feeling, and put a drop onto the dent and leave it sit for half an hour or so. It sometimes takes several iterations depending on how bad the dents are. I then run the shaft in the spinner tool using 9u glass polisher(not mandatory grit mind you) to finish the task. I've personally never needed steam(yet!)

So how does one's shaft get dings simply by being left on a table anyway???sid

wantsumrice
08-27-2004, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So how does one's shaft get dings simply by being left on a table anyway???sid <hr /></blockquote>

When I was gone, my brother probably had people over...

kenz54
08-27-2004, 06:28 PM
Hint, Hint....maybe someone needs to start producing cue safes. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif