PDA

View Full Version : A match I'd like to see on TV.

Chopstick
08-27-2004, 11:07 AM
Guys and girls partners 8 ball. The same stuff we play on the weekends. Men's and women pros. Like:

Karen Korr and Earl the Idiot, I mean Perl.
vs
Alison Fisher and Johnny Archer.

And so forth. Of course all the men would be drawing straws to see who gets Janette Lee. It would be fun to watch.

SPetty
08-27-2004, 12:24 PM
The only video I've seen of Jean Balukas is one I bought because it had Jean Balukas, and it is a professional scotch doubles match. I don't remember (aargh!) all the players, but I think one was Buddy Hall and one might have been a real young Loree Jon or maybe it was Ewa. There was at least one more guy there, duh, but I don't remember. Guess I'll have to dig that one out and view it again.

Point is, there is apparently an old precedent for your suggestion. I think it would be fun as well, but maybe have it a blind draw at the beginning of the tourney.

Fred Agnir
08-27-2004, 01:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> The only video I've seen of Jean Balukas is one I bought because it had Jean Balukas, and it is a professional scotch doubles match. I don't remember (aargh!) all the players, but I think one was Buddy Hall and one might have been a real young Loree Jon or maybe it was Ewa. There was at least one more guy there, duh, but I don't remember. Guess I'll have to dig that one out and view it again.

Point is, there is apparently an old precedent for your suggestion. I think it would be fun as well, but maybe have it a blind draw at the beginning of the tourney.
<hr /></blockquote>Somewhere around 1990, ESPN had the first live televised pool match, sponsored by Brunswick. It was a scotch doubles 9-ball event with teams consisting of LJJ and Hopkins, Mizerak and Balukas, Sigel and Ewa Mataya, and... why can't I remember the last team ... Hall and Ledman? Anyway, Ewa and Mike won the title, beating Laurie Jon and Allen. IIRC.

Because of his influence on how I play the game, I idiotically still congratulate my scotch doubles partners in the same obnoxious way. Sad.

Fred &lt;~~~ paaaartnuh!

Chris Cass
08-28-2004, 11:46 AM
Just wondering? If you put up a thousand to play Earl? Who would look like the idiot?

Regards,

C.C.

SPetty
08-28-2004, 07:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>Somewhere around 1990, ESPN had the first live televised pool match, sponsored by Brunswick. <font color="blue">The Brunswick 9-Ball Team Challenge. </font color> It was a scotch doubles 9-ball event with teams consisting of LJJ and Hopkins, Mizerak and Balukas, Sigel and Ewa Mataya, and... why can't I remember the last team ... Hall and Ledman? <font color="blue">It was Belinda Bearden and Jim Rempe. They drew for partners the night before. </font color> Anyway, Ewa and Mike won the title, beating Laurie Jon <font color="blue">Or maybe it was Loree Jon... The announcer at least once called her Laura Lee Jones! </font color> and Allen. IIRC. <font color="blue"> Y,YRC /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

Because of his influence on how I play the game, I idiotically still congratulate my scotch doubles partners in the same obnoxious way. Sad.

Fred &lt;~~~ paaaartnuh! <font color="blue">Funny! Now that I've watched the tape again, I see what you mean! I'm totally amazed that you remembered as much as you did. Wow. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Fred Agnir
08-29-2004, 06:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>Anyway, Ewa and Mike won the title, beating Laurie Jon <font color="blue">Or maybe it was Loree Jon...</font color> <hr /></blockquote><hr /></blockquote>Aaack. I know better. Been talking too much lately with Laurie Franklin, I guess.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Spetty:</font><hr><blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>Because of his influence on how I play the game, I idiotically still congratulate my scotch doubles partners in the same obnoxious way. Sad.

Fred &lt;~~~ paaaartnuh! <font color="blue">Funny! Now that I've watched the tape again, I see what you mean! I'm totally amazed that you remembered as much as you did. Wow. </font color> <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>His cheering style is still burned in my memory especially when Ewa was forced to bank the 9-ball cross side.

Fred