PDA

View Full Version : Admiral disputes Kerry's account of 1st wound

highsea
08-27-2004, 04:31 PM
August 27, 2004

BY ROBERT NOVAK SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

NEW YORK -- Retired Rear Adm. William L. Schachte Jr. said Thursday in his first on-the-record interview about the swift boat veterans dispute that "I was absolutely in the skimmer" in the early morning on Dec. 2, 1968, when Lt. (j.g.) John Kerry was involved in an incident that led to his first Purple Heart.

"Kerry nicked himself with a M-79 [grenade launcher]," Schachte said in a telephone interview from his home in Charleston, S.C. He said, "Kerry requested a Purple Heart."

Schachte, a lieutenant, said he was in command of the small boat called a Boston whaler or skimmer, with Kerry aboard in his first combat mission in the Vietnam War. The third crew member was an enlisted man, whose name Schachte did not remember.

Two enlisted men who appeared at the podium with Kerry at the Democratic National Convention in Boston have asserted that they were alone in the small boat with Kerry, with no other officer present. Schachte said it "was not possible" for Kerry to have gone out alone so soon after joining the swift boat command in late November 1968.

Schachte until now has refused to speak out publicly on this question and agreed to give only two interviews. One was a television interview with Lisa Meyers of NBC News, for broadcast Thursday night. The second was a print interview with me, for publication today.

Schachte described the use of the skimmer operating very close to shore as a technique that he personally designed to flush out enemy forces so that the larger swift boats could move in. Around 3 a.m. on Dec. 2, Schachte said, the skimmer -- code-named "Batman" -- fired a hand-held flare. He said that after Kerry's M-16 rifle jammed, the new officer picked up the M-79 and, "I heard a 'thunk.' There was no fire from the enemy," he said.

Patrick Runyon and William Zaladonis are the two enlisted men who said they were aboard the skimmer and did not know Schachte. However, two other former officers interviewed Thursday confirmed that Schachte was the originator of the technique and always was aboard the Boston whaler for these missions.

Grant Hibbard, who as a lieutenant commander was Schachte's superior officer, confirmed that Schachte always went on these skimmer missions and said, "I don't think he [Kerry] was alone" on his first assignment. Hibbard said he had told Kerry to "forget it" when he asked for a Purple Heart.

Ted Peck, another swift boat commander, said, "I remember Bill [Schachte] telling me it didn't happen" -- that is, Kerry getting an enemy-inflicted wound. He said it would be "impossible" for Kerry to have been in the skimmer without Schachte.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/novak/cst-nws-novak27.html

Will Kerry dare to call a retired admiral a liar? Interesting. Kerry seems to lose support from veterans daily. I predict the fallout from Kerry's decision to base his campaign on Vietnam will continue to haunt him right up to election day.

By refusing to release his medical records, he is left with no way to counter his critics. He is stuck in a "he said-she said" situation, and is way outnumbered.

-CM

eg8r
08-27-2004, 08:05 PM
Can you guess what the Democrats/media answer will be....Tada. They will not do anything whatsoever that would resemble an investigation into Kerry's medical record. No sir that might not help them, instead they will begin their work by doing their best to demoralize this man's character. I think both sides are guilty of this so there is no doubt in mind it will happen, however is it correct? Does it say anything about Kerry? Nope, he has no intentions of proving his doubters wrong, if so he would make his records available. If he could prove them wrong, then what would be the point of keeping them locked away?

If Kerry had anything credible to prove these guys wrong he would have shown it already (this is not the same as ruining a guy or questioning the other guys character). Makes you wonder just how off these SBVs actually are, I don't think far. I surely don't sit blindly by and ignore that there could and are embellishments, but where does the real truth lie? I am betting it is closer to what Kerry's fellow SBVs are say than what Kerry's campaign is saying.

eg8r

highsea
08-28-2004, 04:22 AM
Ed, there is no way Kerry will go head to head with a retired Admiral. No F'in way. Not in a hundred years.

You, me, and everyone else knows by now how big of a "war hero" Kerry is. Hey, it was a good try...but...EEERRRR, you lose! Try again... you get one more try.

Today's war is in the ME. Mr. Heinz, AKA John Fonda Kerry knows he's toast. All he has is a few weak sound bites. " I'll lead a more intelligent and sensitive war". Oh, goody, is Jaques Chirac running for pres too?

ATTN:! Mr. Kerry, show me that you know about today, and are willing to do something about it.. I will listen.

We got big problems, and they transcend politics. Tell me what we are going to do. I will listen.

If you tell me about your exploits 35 years ago, I'm not really interested....too many people are dying today for me to be impressed about that.

This election is not about ideas, it's about action.

-CM

Wally_in_Cincy
08-28-2004, 08:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr>

...If you tell me about your exploits 35 years ago, I'm not really interested.... <hr /></blockquote>

Kerry made a bad decision in basing his entire campaign on Viet Nam. He's not a stupid guy. I can't believe he was dumb enough not to realize this was going to bite him in the ass.

"John Kerry's the only guy ever to get 3 Purple Hearts without bleeding" ~~ Bob Dole /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r
08-29-2004, 01:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wally:</font><hr> Kerry made a bad decision in basing his entire campaign on Viet Nam. He's not a stupid guy. I can't believe he was dumb enough not to realize this was going to bite him in the ass.
<hr /></blockquote> Well, as we all know, Kerry has flip flop on this also...Here is a quote from Newsmax (http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/2/4/112807.shtml) [ QUOTE ]
Sen. John Kerry and his media boosters are hoping bogus allegations that President Bush went AWOL from the National Guard will catapult him into the White House - but during the 1992 presidential campaign, Kerry angrily denounced Bush's father for raising Bill Clinton's Vietnam draft record.

In fact, back then, Kerry called those who wanted to make Vietnam service an issue "cowardly."

"I'm here personally to express my anger, as a veteran," Kerry told National Public Radio two months before the 1992 election, "that a president who would stand before this nation in his inaugural address and promise to put Vietnam behind us is now breaking yet another promise and trying to use Vietnam and service in order to get himself re-elected."

"That is not an act of leadership, that is an act of shame and cowardice," the Massachusetts Democrat railed. <hr /></blockquote> A little different stance, he was against Bush senior using Clintons draft dodging as a means to get re-elected, even calling it shame and cowardice, however Kerry is doing the same very thing that he ridiculed Bush senior. The only difference is that Bush senior was trying to get re-elected, and Kerry is still trying to get in.

eg8r

catscradle
08-30-2004, 05:59 AM
Are you suggesting a politician would lie to get votes? I can't believe it, no way. Next think you'll tell me there is no such thing as the tooth fairy.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-30-2004, 06:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Flip-Flopper:</font><hr>

"I'm here personally to express my anger, as a veteran," Kerry told National Public Radio two months before the 1992 election, "that a president who would stand before this nation in his inaugural address and promise to put Vietnam behind us is now breaking yet another promise and trying to use Vietnam and service in order to get himself re-elected."

"That is not an act of leadership, that is an act of shame and cowardice," the Massachusetts Democrat railed. <hr /></blockquote>

LOL

thanks eg8r