PDA

View Full Version : Downingtown 14-1 Tournament Update

houseman
08-27-2004, 08:18 PM
Well it is officially started. 14 players came this year.
We had 16 but Hopkins was still in Vegas and Fusco`s back went out, and 2 others didn`t show.
Frank McCracken and Mike Lizzio filled in 2 spots.
Check out the web site for the charts, updated asap.
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/

houseman
08-29-2004, 09:53 AM
Charts updated and some winners displayed

Pizza Bob
08-29-2004, 11:06 AM
Here's a link to the live web cam:

http://www.thebilliardstour.com/dd-bigwebcam.html

Our own Steve Lipsky is deep in the hunt. Currently playing Don Polo. Winner of this match plays the semi-final loser from the winners side (Barouty v. Maidhof). Steve lost his first match and has since marched through the loser bracket. Good luck to him...hope to see him in the finals. Thanks Mickey for sharing this with us via the web cam.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

houseman
08-29-2004, 11:13 AM
Pizza Bob where are you this year?
Your welcome for the webcam, I didn`t want to post the link and make people think I was advertising.
Pete and I might go to Jacks tournament next month.

Rich R.
08-29-2004, 11:34 AM
Hey Mickey, please wish Steve Lipsky "good luck" from me and every one else on the CCB.
We know he will represent us well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

houseman
08-29-2004, 12:29 PM
No problem Rich r,
Steve and his chauffer Barouty are playing right now to see who gets to play Maidhof in the finals.
The finals will be on the webcam.

Rod
08-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Whose the two guys wearing baseball hats playing now? It would be 6 pm there. Man that video is chopy, or maybe they all are. It looks like they all have rabbit strokes. LOL

Rod

houseman
08-29-2004, 05:53 PM
That would be bob maidhof and dan barouty with the hats.
the webcam is probably choppy because your connection is slow or there are so many people watching at one time tonight. the webcam has been pounded all weekend. sorry I cant afford the $3000.00 setup I want yet, but soon.

Rod
08-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Probably to many watching, it's ok though I appreciate the broadcast. I imagine a cam that makes it smooth does get expensive. Thanks, so which one wasn't wearing a glove? He won, right? I didn't see the end.

Rod

nAz
08-30-2004, 04:35 AM
So where is everyone standing now? who won?

Wally_in_Cincy
08-30-2004, 06:35 AM
LMAO

from houseman's website

this is me......

http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/cartoon-big-shot.jpg

Barbara
08-30-2004, 09:12 AM
Hey Mickey!!

Pete and I (my Pete, that is...) were on vacation. Who won?? Is the tournament chart posted/

Barbara

Rich R.
08-30-2004, 09:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>Pete and I (my Pete, that is...) were on vacation. Who won?? Is the tournament chart posted/
<hr /></blockquote>
"On vacation"!!!!!!!!

Now, was that the vacation, before the vacation or is the U.S. Open, and CCB Tournament, work related???? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Try this link. Scroll down for the finishing order and links to the charts. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/archives/straight-pool-2004.html

Barbara
08-30-2004, 10:00 AM
Rich,

Pete and I went to Mystic CT and then on to Bah Hahbah Maine. Nice week off courtesy of the New Joisy State Lottery.

Bob lost to Barouty?? Rats. Heck, I can give Barouty half the pool length and still beat him.

Oops... Wrong sport... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Barbara

Rich R.
08-30-2004, 10:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Rich,

Pete and I went to Mystic CT and then on to Bah Hahbah Maine. Nice week off courtesy of the New Joisy State Lottery.

Bob lost to Barouty?? Rats. Heck, I can give Barouty half the pool length and still beat him.

Oops... Wrong sport... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>
So your a multi-million dollar winner of the lottery. I didn't know. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Don't forget Steve fighting his way through the one loss side and comming in third. That was a great effort.
Congrats to Steve. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

houseman
08-30-2004, 10:56 AM
The one with the glove was barouty the winner

houseman
08-30-2004, 11:08 AM
What a tournament,
Thanks to all the players who battled for the money.
Congrats to Dan Barouty for his first win here after many times in the money. All the players were a little sluggish this year as I cant remember when the high run was under 100 balls, Pete blamed it on the full moon. But is was very humid this weekend and you know what that does to the tables, eventhough I froze everyone out with the air conditioning.
What can you say about Bob Maidhof, he is always a contender in 14-1 to win any time he is entered.
Steve came back on the loosers side to get third place.
The webcam took a beating all weekend, my internet surfing was slowed down a lot with all the bandwidth being used.
thanks again especially to Pete Sinkler for having the event at my little room.

I know shut up already and get ready for next year !!!!!!

ba bye

yegon
08-30-2004, 01:40 PM
You do not need an expensive system to make good live broadcasts. I have done something similar for one of my customers.

You need a PC running windows which you have I think and a cheap webcam (30USD). You install Windows media encoder (is free) which takes the picture from the USB webcam and transforms it into a stream.

Now everyone can connect directly to your PC over the internet just by typing your IP address or a designated URL into their media players and see the video.

If you expect to have several concurrent users watching it is good to contact some streaming provider that will get the video from your computer live over the internet and broadcast it to other users.

Why?

If you broadcast directly from your computer you need a strong internet line, for example if you stream a 200kbit stream (like billiardclub.net does) and you have 10 users watching you need at least 2Mbit line. If you use a streaming provider you need just a 200kbit line as the video is taken just to your provider from your computer. The online viewers watch the video from the provider's server where it is autmatically replicated. The server has a much stronger internet connection so it can support more viewers.

The axis webcam is transmitting separate images taken after a preset delay (say 2 seconds). To see smooth video you'd have to transfer at least 10 pictures per second, which I do not think this camera is capable of. It is mainly used as a surveillance system and you do not need smooth video in such case.

Chris Cass
08-30-2004, 02:48 PM
Hi Houseman,

Thank you so much for bringing us the event on your web cam. I'm very happy to see Mr. D win and hope to meet him and Bob M one day. I have met Mr. Lipsky and all along wanting him to win the event everytime you have it. Well, every event on the planet. lol

I think it's great to keep this event going. I look forward to hearing about it evey yr. Mr. Lipsky is one of my dearest friends and I know he's been working with D.D. to bring his game up. He's told me that he had been practicing with him awhile back. It's really tough coming back from the one loss side all the way to take off third. That's way harder than going through the A side all the way. IMHO

Steve always talks so highly of D.D and I'm sure he's very happy for him too. I also know that Steve hasn't been playing much as of late and to do what he did, is fantastic. My hats always off to one of the finest people ever to pick up a cue. Not only MHO.

I envy you houseman. I envy the players you get to watch and the matches you get to see. I envy your location being in the NYC area. Seems there's so many talented people from there. One day we'll meet and I'll pick your brain awhile. Till then, I really want to say thank you.

Regards,

C.C.~~go Steve!!!!!! great job and I know your pleased to do it. I know your probably not satisfied but all the same, I'm so happy for you. Our love to Gina as well and hope to see her, up the charts too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
08-30-2004, 02:52 PM
CC,

I'm hoping that Bob Maidhof throws his name into the US Open this year. I haven't seen it yet, though.

Bob's a great 9-ball player, too. I watched him beat Roger Griffis (sp?) at a Camel event here in NJ. Roger said to Bob after the match, "You just beat a great player." Bob didn't miss a beat and retorted, "You just got beaten by a great player.".

Yeah, I'd like to sweat a couple of his matches in VA, too.

Barbara

Chris Cass
08-30-2004, 03:08 PM
Hi Barbara,

Well, Roger has never been known to go down quietly. He also lets it know when he's in the building and has an ego the size of Texas, his home state. I met him at a cherity event with Mr. Willard. That was at Harolds when it was open. Harold the owner of P&amp;B mag. I will say in Rogers defense. He likes living life large and never seen him not laughing.

I knew your a friend and fan of Bob M. and I too look forward to meeting him one day. Sounds like a great player too. Hopefully he'll throw his hat in the ring at the Open. I'd like to see him shoot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~so close and so little time to get things right. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Steve Lipsky
08-30-2004, 04:15 PM
Hey guys. Just wanted to say thanks for the kind words about the tournament.

As usual, it was a great event. It's the only tournament I play, where I feel that if I go two-and-out it's still worth it. And I was in danger of doing just that, as I lost my first match to Al Waldo of Pennsylvania. I was up heavily in the match, something like 110-20, and lost 150-123. He put a great comeback on me, and deserved the win more than I did.

I've really been totally out of stroke for a while (four months? five?), and was dead-set on practicing up for this event. But last Saturday I woke up with a pinched nerve in my neck. Couldn't play at all for the week prior to the tournament, and I had barely been playing before that.

So I got to D&amp;D's a few hours before play began, and practiced as best I could. Still, even though I began to feel warm, there was just no confidence there. And you can play great without any confidence when you're just practicing, but the minute the pressure hits you... well, that's a different story lol.

So the next morning I have my first match, with Eddie Abraham. He's a better 9-ball player than me, one of the best in the region, to be sure. But he gets a little frustrated with straight pool, because he doesn't know the game too well. So I won that match, and then sort of fell in a groove. It was pretty interesting to feel the patterns slowly coming back...

But then Barouty came along, lol. If I had to lose to anyone that late in the tournament, I'm happy it was him. He's an unbelievably strong player and a good sportsman... if the game were filled with Baroutys, it might have a better reputation than it does. It would also be filled with incomprehensibly bad jokes and a Charlie Parker fascination, but that's neither here nor there /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Barouty and Maidhof played a good final match, neither one able to pull out to a commanding lead. At about 120-all (race to 200), Danny found a groove and ran out. I was very happy for him, as not only hadn't he previously won the event (hard to believe), but he definitely had the toughest draw in the tournament. He had to play every one of the stronger players in the field.

And kudos to Maidhof as well, who's made it to the finals the last two years running. No small feat, that.

Anyway, thanks again everyone, and a special thanks to Mickey and Pete for producing another great event!

Hey Chris.... you go out there and kick some nine-ball a$$ in Chesapeake. I'll be there in spirit for you, partner, glued to AZ for updated results on you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif You've already made all of us on CCB so proud of you, kiddo.

- Steve

Barbara
08-30-2004, 04:20 PM
Steve,

Congrats on the great finish from the wrong side of the chart! Sorry you won't be in VA, Nostroke's not going to be there either, I'm missing my Prime Pool Detectives!

And it sounds like you and Gina have to move to be closer to a pool hall again.

Hope to see you in Binghamtom? Yeah? Maybe??

Barbara

Rod
08-30-2004, 07:23 PM
Steve, you did a good job for as little as you've been playing. The thinking part of 14-1 game leaves me big time if I haven't played, let alone play 14-1. Lets hope next year no pinched nerves. Thanks for the run down on the tourney.

I couldn't watch the whole last match but in the beginning I thought Maidhof made better choices. Barouty to me just shot some wrong shots. Like I said I didn't watch it all and the choppy cam may have been part of the deal. I wanted to watch you play, you dog. LOL Congrats to Danny, Bob and you, hope to view next year.

Rod

Chris Cass
08-30-2004, 11:39 PM
See what I'm talkin about? Steve, your such a class player man. I don't even belong being in the same tournament let alone the same planet as you.

Hope that neck heals. That could be rather a dangerous thing to have happen. I have a feeling though that, this would have been your tourney this yr. Concidering things lately, it's understandable. I did think you did a stand up job shooting though. Man, that only proves, once a champion, always a champion. 3rd puts you right there on top. Anyone within striking distance knows that. 4th-5th. I can definitely see you taking that event off another yr. That's if your 80%. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~thinking of Steve when I playing the Open. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Heck, I'm going to give you a call. won't be running it up to 300 like I did in PA. lol

CarolNYC
08-31-2004, 03:45 AM
DING,DING,DING!
Congratulations Steve,to you and Danny-thats wonderful!
I love Steve-I could watch him play all day-he's got such a "finesse" and makes the game look beautiful! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

And Danny,well,what could I say-he was my straight pool teacher /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
He's an unbelievably strong player and a good sportsman... if the game were filled with Baroutys, <hr /></blockquote>

Hmm,let me picture this:
A pool room filled with jazz music and men in fishing hats!
Okay,that works!

Great job Steve!
Im proud to know you! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol