PDA

View Full Version : lesson learned - DON'T USE COMET

tn8ball
08-27-2004, 08:59 PM
I just taught myself a lesson, figured I'd pass it on! Was cleaning my pool balls in the kitchen (get your mind out of the gutter, I said POOL), couldn't seem to get all the chalk marks off the cueball and I thought " Comet, that stuff cleans anything!"

Well, it does a pretty good job. BUT, only if you sprinkle it on a cloth and wipe the ball, then immediately rinse. Did I say immediately? I meant IMMEDIATELY! It's a really cool thing to do if your into experimentation, that is just sprinkle some Comet over some wet pool balls and let them sit about 3 minutes. It permanently dyes them red! Now I have these really different red sparkle-streaky Aramith balls. Don't seem to play any different, but it sure looks different!

I was really surprised at the red. Red. Whodathunkit.

Tennessee

PQQLK9
08-27-2004, 09:10 PM
I washed two cue balls with dishwasher detergent (lemon flavored something or the other)and the solid white one came out unscathed but the one with the "blue dot " turned a permanent redish pink.
When it was turning colors it looked as though it was bleeding.(actually it was kind of cool)

Chris Cass
08-28-2004, 10:19 AM
Well I for one admire your zest for life. Myself would think of trying Goo B gone. That's as far as I would venture. Even that you'd have to return with a mild dishwashing soap and rince. Just to get the oil residue off the balls. Anything else would be too risque for me.

Regards,

C.C.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-28-2004, 10:33 AM
a couple years ago one of the ccb'ers tried either comet or soft scrub and his cue ball turned purple.

Bob_Jewett
08-28-2004, 02:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tn8ball:</font><hr> (used Comet to clean pool balls.)
I was really surprised at the red. Red. Whodathunkit.
<hr /></blockquote>
It sure surprised me when I tried it. See an RSB post. (http://groups.google.com/groups?q=purple+chlorine+balls+jewett)
It is also a very bad idea to use anything containing ammonia. Car polishes also seem to do bad things to the plastic.