PDA

View Full Version : Traveling? Home? League players keep playing!

LivinGr8
08-28-2004, 03:01 AM
Is there any consensus out there of the success rate of a league that travels vs. home? We are currently trying to form a traveling 8-ball league and I just wondered if players seem to be more committed or less when traveling. It would seem that 8-ball is more steadily adhered to by players here in east texas, however, 9-ball membership is unpredictable. Are there any ideas on how to get players to continue once they have joined when they're below 50% win percentage? Or, could the initial membership be required to agree to certain terms that would better "lock" them into playing the full term.

"Stick and stay and make it pay!"

tn8ball
08-28-2004, 08:08 AM
From what I've seen around here, it all pretty much depends on the tables. My home bar (J.O.B.'s) has great tables with Simonis. The majority of the teams in town seem to like playing there and don't mind the travel. Our in-house BCA night is always full, even in the summer. Our traveling leagues on the other hand seem to be always struggling. We have 5 or 6 bars that are always sponsoring teams but won't take care of their own tables so nobody wants to go there. As soon as a traveling session starts up, players see what bars are signed up and then decline if the tables stink.

I've always wondered why bar owners can't see that and take better care of the tables.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-28-2004, 08:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tn8ball:</font><hr> ...I've always wondered why bar owners can't see that and take better care of the tables. <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif They are lazy.

Most bar owners just want the check from the vending company and they couldn't give a rat's ass about the tables.

At the bar where I play there are only 2 people that ever brush the cloth, me and a girl on a ladies' team on another night.

randyg
09-02-2004, 05:27 PM
I play in SWEL, (the SouthWest Eightball League based in Texas). Our team is in a traveling division and we love it. SWEL has different skill levels for all players. All teams and players get paid back at the end of the season, regardless of their standings. I would think that the stability of in-house vs traveling is based on the stability of the league....randyg

Sid_Vicious
09-02-2004, 06:01 PM
It all depends IMO in how well the visitors are treated. The traveling I've done has produced dismal, biased treatment. I as a visitor gets there say an hour early, the street people have the tables(managers don't prepare nor jump in to rearrange) and the homeys are usually nailed down to the preferred tables, hence I stand and feel neglected as hell, plus any chance of getting a good table is about nil. I usually shoot with a pissed, unhappy mood, whereas I play great on the home turf. I do not play in traveling leagues now as a byproduct of that season after season experience. It's great as long as you have a LD who gets there to cater to you, otherwise it sucks!!!sid

randyg
09-03-2004, 06:35 AM
I agree with Sid. Our team tries to treat our visiting opponents like we would like to be treated. Like Sid said, not all think this way....randyg

SpiderMan
09-03-2004, 09:19 AM
In-house players have the advantage of showing up at the same place everytime, to a friendly and familiar environment.

Traveling leagues, for the most part, will have a larger player base and provide more variety of competition.

I play both; a traveling league for more "serious" competition and an in-house league where I like the perks and patrons.

SpiderMan