PDA

View Full Version : computer problem...help!!!

05-12-2002, 12:32 PM
ok, it's pool related only insofar as it effects my reading of this board.

this has been happening for about 3 weeks. my machine will, without me doin a darn thing to cause it, stop noting, by color change, the posts i've already read. just happened again in the last few minutes.

not everything changes back to blue. all the greys stay that way. once it happens, then if i go read a post it will not effect the blue to grey change.

so far i've beat it by doing the gateway "go-back" but that's a 20-minute job. any thoughts???

dan

Tom_In_Cincy
05-12-2002, 12:38 PM
If you are using MS IE you might want to change your history settings to something other than what it is now..

Tools/internet options/days to keep history (box for #)

If this doesn't work,, you might want to check your cookie settings. Maybe you have selected to not accept cookies.

05-12-2002, 12:40 PM
thanks Tom, I wondered why mine was doing that too.... Realized I'd put new Security software on.

05-12-2002, 12:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> If you are using MS IE you might want to change your history settings to something other than what it is now..

Tools/internet options/days to keep history (box for #)

If this doesn't work,, you might want to check your cookie settings. Maybe you have selected to not accept cookies.
<hr></blockquote>

ok, maybe i'm gettin closer.

remember, all the settings are good since it happily does as it should for days on end then suddenly changes.

in doin the go-back/ revert trip, i checked all the events leading to the change and guess what...my norton security suite did something about the time of the problem. naturally, it's written in computer-talk and is uninteligible.

anyone real familiar with norton? i was warned about it being a real trouble maker but that was after i paid for it and so far i've managed to nurse it along by jiggling the settings. it is absolutely set to accept cookies.

dan

Tom_In_Cincy
05-12-2002, 01:13 PM
I've been running NAV for years.. the new version I have is set to auto update every time I logon to the internet. Never had any problems, nor have I heard of any.

I suggest going to Norton's web site and posting the question on their tech help board.. they should be able to help better than me or someone elses opinions.

Good luck..

Harold Acosta
05-12-2002, 02:17 PM
If your using MIE, go to Tools, Internet Options, at the General tab press Colors at bottom left, at Links change the colors, press OK, one window closes, press Apply and then exit.

That should do it.

Harold

05-12-2002, 04:26 PM
Dan, I'm about as familiar with ANYTHING computer related as , gee I don't know what. But anyway, I've been running Norton for a number of years now and never had any trouble at all. That said, it probably is Norton that's screwing you up, because I had the same thing happen to me when I put the new Internet Suite on. Since I have my pref's set to active in last two days, I just remember what I've already seen and it doesn't really bother me. So...nothing useful to offer, but I do wish you luck! Lorri

heater451
05-12-2002, 05:49 PM
Norton 'security-anything', besides Antivirus alone, can often be far more controlling of your PC than you actually want, but that's the price you pay, if you want it to do what it is supposed to.

Now, your browser may be set to accept cookies, but if you clean them out on a schedule, you will have to start over each time with a new one, which could be a source of your problem.

Also, I'm curious, just what is the 'error' that Norton is throwing you?