PDA

View Full Version : 9-ball Call Shot

BeanDiesel
08-30-2004, 02:32 PM
I have a few question for the rules of 9-ball, call shot on the 9 only.

1)if you want to shoot a combo and make the 9, u call the shot, but u dont make the 9, instead you make another ball, would u lose your turn? is it like 8 ball, miss a turn on a misscall.

2)regular 9 ball rules question: how exactly does that 3 consecutive fouls work? is it a lost of game when u like snooker your opponent, and he fouls, and then u get a ball in hand and immediately snooker him again, and he fouls again bla bla bla for 3 times?

SPetty
08-30-2004, 02:39 PM
1) No, you don't lose your turn.
2) Yes, just like that.

Bob_Jewett
08-30-2004, 02:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BeanDiesel:</font><hr>2)regular 9 ball rules question: how exactly does that 3 consecutive fouls work?<hr /></blockquote>
If one player fouls on three consecutive strokes in one game, he loses the game. What the other player does has no bearing on the rule. The player must be warned when he is on two, or the third foul counts as only the second.

Chris Cass
08-30-2004, 02:53 PM
Great point Bob. You must tell your opponent when he or she is on 2 fouls before their shot. Seems people forget that part.

C.C.

GeorgeV
08-30-2004, 04:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Great point Bob. You must tell your opponent when he or she is on 2 fouls before their shot. Seems people forget that part.

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

Since you're on the subject, thought I'd ask a question. (I think I know the answer but thought I'd ask anyway to get your takes on it.)

Does it matter when the two-foul warning is given?

Here's the scenario: Player A has one foul. Player B shoots and hides him with another safety. Player A shoots and fouls (fails to hit OB) a second time in a row. Is THIS the time when Player B must give the warning? Or...does Player B shoot again, then gives Player A the warning when Player A approaches the table. I think either is probably okay, but I think it should be given as Player A takes the table AFTER Player B shoots. It is possible that Player B could give the warning immediately upon the second foul, then take his good ole time at the table, maybe making a few balls, trying to delay Player A's return to the table long enough that maybe he'd forget about it.

Waddya think?

Bob_Jewett
08-30-2004, 04:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeorgeV:</font><hr> Does it matter when the two-foul warning is given?<hr /></blockquote>
The requirement is that it be given early enough for the player to react to it. It is not sufficient to announce it on the player's backstroke. I think most players will not forget if you tell them as soon as they are on two fouls. Mentioning it early also avoids such things as, "No, I'm not. Don't you remember that I played a good safe back on the two ball?"

Barbara
08-30-2004, 05:03 PM
Bob,

I believe that after the person shooting who is trying to hook the sitting player for the third time is the appropriate time to inform the player, "You're on two." after they have completed their inning/shot.

I consider it rude to wait for the player who's on two to get up to the table and then have the hooking opponent say, "You're on two.". Kind of like a sharking thing.

Barbara

Bob_Jewett
08-30-2004, 07:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>...
I consider it rude to wait for the player who's on two to get up to the table and then have the hooking opponent say, "You're on two.". Kind of like a sharking thing.<hr /></blockquote>
I agree, but the requirement in the rules is that the warning be given soon enough that the player is not caught by surprise in the middle of a stroke. I think it's a good idea to announce it immediately after the second foul, just in case there needs to be a discussion at that time. The longer you wait, the more the first foul fades from memory.

Chris Cass
08-31-2004, 12:18 AM
Hi GeorgeV,

You've already got the skinny on the rule obligations but from my point of view as a player. When, I'm playing somone and I have them on 2? I'll remind them, right before I shoot, that they're indeed on 2. I make this clear to them before I even go into my next shot. I make sure they acknowledge it not only, verbally but some type of acknowledgement.

However, when I'm the one that has just fouled the second time. If I'm, lets say into my stroke and ready to shoot? Lets say, I did forget that I was on 2. I don't mind if the opponent tells me while, I'm stroking and all. As long as he or she stops me totally, from shooting first. I have to readjust my mind and I need them not to just merely, point out the fact. I need them to jump up and put me to a hault. I don't mind this as I too might forget. It's totally understandable and I wouldn't hold it against anyone else.

The other side of that coin. If someone just brings it up casually? While, I'm ready to fire the ball and just lets me shoot? Then, I think that's really low and it may be, my bad but I'll never gamble with them, ever. I have lost respect for many players I know, for that same reason. I never forgive and I never forget. Once a worm? Always a worm. To me, that's not about pool. That's about winning at any cost. That will cost you my respect and I'll the first to cover not only my back but my close friends as well.

Regards,

C.C.

woody_968
08-31-2004, 08:57 AM
While this is going I think Ill give my 2 cents on call 9ball only games. I think they stink /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I just cant see how it makes it better? I understand the threory, not wanting people to !@## in the nineball but IMO it doesnt help. If I luck in the 8 with shape on the 9 then I win, but if you luck in the 9 you dont win /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rolls are a big part of 9ball, if people dont like it they should play straight pool /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

RedHell
08-31-2004, 09:11 AM
Here's a question,

Let's say you fail to warn your opponent that he's on two and he fouls again. Obviously, you haven't won the game, but can you then warn him that he's on two (actually three but...) or does the counter reset and it's jus too bad !!!

I've always played it that you warn him after the 3rd one but It wouldn't be the first time that I'd be wrong !!!

Chris Cass
08-31-2004, 09:26 AM
Hi RedHell,

Bob mentions this in his posted reply to Bien about 3 replies up. Yes, it's only two.

Regards,

C.C.

RedHell
08-31-2004, 09:47 AM
Dang, I'm so anxious about going to the open that I'm even losing english comprehension now !!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

GeorgeV
08-31-2004, 12:32 PM
Thanks Chris and Bob. That's pretty much what I thought (i.e. inform them immediately after their second foul).

I've had it done to me both ways in the past several months. The first time, I was playing a smarmy S.O.B. (excellent shooter, tho) who almost joyously proclaimed "You're on Two!" immediately after my second foul. Within the rules, of course, but it pissed me off the way he did it. Was almost sharking. The second time it happened (different guy), the guy gave me the warning in a reasonable manner, but then shot a couple balls and stopped to go to the men's room. Was gone 3-4 minutes. When he came back, he hooked me again, and I made my third foul. It seemed to me that he was deliberately trying to cause me to forget that I was on two.

I'm kind of old-school. Played a bit 30 yrs ago and just got back into the game several months ago. We didn't have 3-foul rules back then (at least where I played). With push-outs on any ball, fouls due to failure to hit the OB were pretty rare. Scratches after a push-out being given back to you resulted in BIH, but they were pretty rare. I liked it better. Call-pocket on the 9 was the norm.

Who started this crap!