PDA

View Full Version : Crutch Tip and Assesories.

Chris Cass
08-30-2004, 03:47 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have a Crutch Tip attatched to my drill. I've been experimenting with it and it's uses. Thought I'd drop a few ideas that I have done to make it more useful to everyone who has one.

I don't have the elabarett set up as my friend and business partner RIP. I do have the attatchment as a gift from my long friend Spiderman.

I've found that I can put a joint protector on the end of a butt and some tape aroung the JP to keep the finish good. I can insert this in my Crutch Tip and while just holding the back with minimum presser, it'll spin great.

So, my point. I've been wanting to seal those linen wraps when after use awhile will have missing cavities. Like the wrap becomes dull and feels a bit less pressed. I'd see the gaps inbetween the linen and basically want to get it replaced. Much sooner than it would need to be. I like keeping all my cues in the 98% range if at all possible.

Well, I found a wood set up that He4ide had in the closet the other day. She does her needle point obn this thing. it holds the canvas loop up while freeing her hands to do the intracate work. It cost her about $15. if that at Ben Franklin a craft store.

After watching my buddy Brandon from Jacoby cues burnishing wraps at a tourney. I got the idea. Brandon uses two small pieces of wood held togather with bolts and a spacer. he uses this to polish the wrap after spraying it down with spray startch.

I looked up the web sites to a few places and found that they wanted big bucks for these things to press and polish the wrap. I couldn't believe my eyes as to what they wanted. So, I decided to make my own.

Heide didn't want me to tough her craft stuff and especially her stand. But, I did anyway. I was feeling really good and she wasn't home. LOL I took a piece apart. It was two small pieces of wood. Already drilled at the top with also a 4" bolt and nut that held them togather. One end only because you do have to sqeeze them like pliers. This applies the pressure evenly while spinning.

You do also have to keep in mind that you have to pay close attention to the heat factor. Not too much to not burn the wrap. The wood is 14" long and 3/4" wide. The bolt is 4" approx long and one wing nut for adjusting.

Agter trying it I found that it works great. It shines and looks great. The startch works well for filling in the gaps but I did go back over it a few times as I didn't have a press. I kept my finger on the wrap as I did my passes quickly till I felt the heat coming on. Too mush is not good but a little OK.

Now, the pressing part. I did press a bit when I was burnishing the wrap and that pretty much did the trick but still I'd like to just use the wood (smooth wood) as just a burnisher. So, my next idea is very workable too. I found one of Spikes skateboards in the garage. Just collecting dust and was mighty beatup so, I took off the wheels. I then took a small screw driver and a hammer and knocked out the bearings out of each wheel. There were two in each wheel.

I can see that if I took two other pieces of wood from the craft stand I might be bale to do somewhat the same thing for the press. The bearings will and should be the only thing that toughes the wrap and there should be 3. This frees up the heat from coming on and just basically press the wrap while wet from the startch. Then, pass over the wrap with the final burnishing with the other.

Kind of neat I thought and even though you'ld have one for each job. Still, affordable and time isn't a factor. JAT

Regards,

C.C.~~playing Barry is fun. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stretch
08-30-2004, 04:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Everyone,

I have a Crutch Tip attatched to my drill. I've been experimenting with it and it's uses. Thought I'd drop a few ideas that I have done to make it more useful to everyone who has one.

I don't have the elabarett set up as my friend and business partner RIP. I do have the attatchment as a gift from my long friend Spiderman.

I've found that I can put a joint protector on the end of a butt and some tape aroung the JP to keep the finish good. I can insert this in my Crutch Tip and while just holding the back with minimum presser, it'll spin great.

So, my point. I've been wanting to seal those linen wraps when after use awhile will have missing cavities. Like the wrap becomes dull and feels a bit less pressed. I'd see the gaps inbetween the linen and basically want to get it replaced. Much sooner than it would need to be. I like keeping all my cues in the 98% range if at all possible.

Well, I found a wood set up that He4ide had in the closet the other day. She does her needle point obn this thing. it holds the canvas loop up while freeing her hands to do the intracate work. It cost her about $15. if that at Ben Franklin a craft store.

After watching my buddy Brandon from Jacoby cues burnishing wraps at a tourney. I got the idea. Brandon uses two small pieces of wood held togather with bolts and a spacer. he uses this to polish the wrap after spraying it down with spray startch.

I looked up the web sites to a few places and found that they wanted big bucks for these things to press and polish the wrap. I couldn't believe my eyes as to what they wanted. So, I decided to make my own.

Heide didn't want me to tough her craft stuff and especially her stand. But, I did anyway. I was feeling really good and she wasn't home. LOL I took a piece apart. It was two small pieces of wood. Already drilled at the top with also a 4" bolt and nut that held them togather. One end only because you do have to sqeeze them like pliers. This applies the pressure evenly while spinning.

You do also have to keep in mind that you have to pay close attention to the heat factor. Not too much to not burn the wrap. The wood is 14" long and 3/4" wide. The bolt is 4" approx long and one wing nut for adjusting.

Agter trying it I found that it works great. It shines and looks great. The startch works well for filling in the gaps but I did go back over it a few times as I didn't have a press. I kept my finger on the wrap as I did my passes quickly till I felt the heat coming on. Too mush is not good but a little OK.

Now, the pressing part. I did press a bit when I was burnishing the wrap and that pretty much did the trick but still I'd like to just use the wood (smooth wood) as just a burnisher. So, my next idea is very workable too. I found one of Spikes skateboards in the garage. Just collecting dust and was mighty beatup so, I took off the wheels. I then took a small screw driver and a hammer and knocked out the bearings out of each wheel. There were two in each wheel.

I can see that if I took two other pieces of wood from the craft stand I might be bale to do somewhat the same thing for the press. The bearings will and should be the only thing that toughes the wrap and there should be 3. This frees up the heat from coming on and just basically press the wrap while wet from the startch. Then, pass over the wrap with the final burnishing with the other.

Kind of neat I thought and even though you'ld have one for each job. Still, affordable and time isn't a factor. JAT

Regards,

C.C.~~playing Barry is fun. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Hi CC. Looks like you've been haveing some rather productive days;) And thanks for the glimps into your inventive mind. Like the saying goes "neccesity is the Mother of invention" but CC is the Daddy! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St

Chris Cass
08-30-2004, 11:11 PM
Hi Stretch,

I've seen an example of what I fathered and it's very scary. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~thought this would be a hit but, no biggy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
08-31-2004, 12:39 AM
Well it gives me ideas Chris, just in case I need to tune up a wrap. Wood would create heat but going slow sounds good to. I think 1/2" tempered glass would be good for the heat factor. I have a friend in the business. Or glass glued to two peices of wood. Either way the edges of the glass would need rounded. A good hard wood might be ok too. Ya a wrap press gets real expensive for an ocassional touch up. Did Heide's crafts take a hit, or is it still ok? LOL

Rod

Fred Agnir
08-31-2004, 06:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> A good hard wood might be ok too. <hr /></blockquote>Oak sounds reasonable.

Fred

Fred Agnir
08-31-2004, 06:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>
I've found that I can put a joint protector on the end of a butt and some tape aroung the JP to keep the finish good. I can insert this in my Crutch Tip and while just holding the back with minimum presser, it'll spin great.<hr /></blockquote> I did the same thing Chris. Great minds think alike. I've pressed my wrap and I've also refinished my butt after I nicked it.

Fred

Chris Cass
08-31-2004, 08:28 AM
No Kidding? I haven't even thought about doing a refinish myself. Well, atleast not on any of my cues. I might try someone elses. hahahha

Seriously Fred, I like messing around trying to think of ways to make my own play time workout well. lol

Regards,

C.C.~~impressed with RIPs setup.

catscradle
08-31-2004, 09:33 AM
Guys,
What size inner diameter works best for spinning shafts for cleaning etc.?

Rod
08-31-2004, 11:26 AM
Buy one for a 3/4" crutch.