PDA

View Full Version : palmer (peter margo) series , refinished

justbrake
08-30-2004, 03:48 PM
just had my palmer refinished by rjhcustomcues.com ,I had a stack leather wrap put on, Ivory ferrule,morri tip and the cue refinished, it's an 18.1oz cue with a 30-1/2 shaft /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifafter hitting with the new wrap installed I don't think I would settle for any other kind of wrap out there. here's the link=

http://justabrake.MyPicGallery.com

Chris Cass
08-30-2004, 03:56 PM
Does look great on that cue. Nice looking cue too. I like the inlay in the points. Thanks Justbrake.

Regards,

C.C.

LivinGr8
08-30-2004, 04:20 PM
You just made my heart skip a beat while bringing back memories. In 1975 I bought a Palmer cue (Dk. Brn. w/ a black linen wrap.) I've been looking for one like it ever since. Finally settled for a Huebler Jubilee 25th anniversary. However, your Palmer, and what a beautiful one it is, took me back. Thanks for th pics.

tateuts
08-30-2004, 05:14 PM
You did good - it looks great.

You've convinced me to get a stack wrap put on my JossWest.

Is this the cue that you found out was a full splice when the wrap was removed?

Chris

justbrake
08-30-2004, 06:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> You did good - it looks great.

You've convinced me to get a stack wrap put on my JossWest.

Is this the cue that you found out was a full splice when the wrap was removed?

Chris

<hr /></blockquote>
Hi-Chris,yes when the wrap was removed it showed it was a full splice butt, the wrap has a great grip kown, no more sliding like the linein wrap,my hand use to slide when I hit the cue ball, now it just stays without using any strength there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SpiderMan
08-31-2004, 10:41 AM
I have two nearly-identical Pete Margo "bullet" Palmers, each with 2 shafts and in the original "Palmer Deluxe" cases. Actually I still have the original shipping box as well. They're all original, including wraps, and I was wanting to get them refinished because the clear coat is flaking off in several places.

When I took them to Bill Schick a couple of years ago, he advised me not to have them refinished because I no longer play with them, and any collector that might buy them would want to decide for himself on the refinishing.

So, I left them alone, but I sure wish they didn't have the flaking finish!

SpiderMan

Rod
08-31-2004, 12:17 PM
What vintage are these? The one pictured has a SS ring in the shaft and joint. Was this 80's or something. The original Palmer went out of business somewhwere around that time.?

rfsim
09-09-2004, 05:11 AM
Hello,
I too would like to know the vintage of margo bullet cues by Palmer? I own one but know very little about them?
Thanks!

#### leonard
09-09-2004, 06:03 AM
Peter Balner was always my favorite cuemaker. He just had too much drive to box himself in the Cue Business.####

SpiderMan
09-09-2004, 07:57 AM
Rod,

I think I ordered the two I have in '79 or '80, but I also think the appearance is the same as several years prior. Pete Balner (Jr, I guess) sold them to me. Pete Margo was apparently working 'phone sales at Palmer also, because he answered a time or two when we were working out the details of my cues.

Both of mine have SS joints, 18 tpi pins, and one SS ring in the collars. The spliced points are separated from the forearm by several colored veneers. I've been told that these are called Hoppe butts, though I don't know the details of why. The four points are not all even, ie they do not terminate at the exact same height on the forearm.

The shafts (two per cue) have the capped "somewhat translucent" ferrules that Palmer used to use back then. I haven't seen that same material for sale in any of the supply catalogs, and I'm not sure what it is. Amazingly, three of the four shafts are still perfectly straight after 25 years, and the original Irish linen wraps are not frayed.

The "Pete Margo" name on the butt cap is just inked on, and comes off wherever the finish is flaking. I always thought that was a cheap way to put your name on a cue!

SpiderMan

tateuts
09-09-2004, 09:20 AM
Some of the Pete Margo logo's I've seen (the bullet ones) have had round decals under the clear coat - they're about the size of a quarter. No wonder you don't see too many with the logo anymore!

Speaking of Palmer straight shafts - I just got a Palmer Model 11 from the 1965 catalog. The two original shafts are straight as an arrow. Most of the old Palmer shafts stayed straight - pretty amazing - they are very dense maple.

I think Palmer used clear lacquer to finish the cues. My old Palmers both had flaking - the lacquer doesn't adhere to the wood properly or something. The new urethane finishes are so much better and they protect the cue much better too.

Chris

SpiderMan
09-09-2004, 11:18 AM
Chris,

That's a strong possibility, mine might also just be a decal applied to the butt cap before the finish was sprayed on. Once the lacquer flooded everything, it could hide the fact that it was a decal. I'll have to see if I can tell next time I pull one of my cues out, maybe by focusing a microscope at the point where the bottom of the lacquer layer meets the cue.

SpiderMan