PDA

View Full Version : FL ccbers...Hurricane question

landshark77
08-30-2004, 04:04 PM
What is the weather going to be like next week, especially in the Hollywood and Key West areas? Is this hurricane going to impede my vacation?

Thanx for your help.

mred477
08-30-2004, 05:47 PM
As of now, the hurricane is supposed to hit the Miami/Keys area on labor day. Of course, a couple weeks ago, Charlie was supposed to hit Tampa and wound up hitting about 75-100 miles south. Regardless, if you're flying in or out that day, forget it. Also, don't think that if you're on the coast that you'll just be able to drive inland. Whenever there is a hurricane coming, there are only two ways out...I-95 on the east and I-75 on the west. Also, regarding your vacation comfort, you might want to remember that Florida in August is 95 degrees with 100% humidity every day, so after the hurricane, you will be uncomfortable for a 100 mile radius from where it hits. My parents are 50-60 miles away from Punta Gorda (where Charlie hit) and were without power for a week: no air conditioning, no hot water, etc. Thankful they're ok, but it still isn't very pleasant afterwards. I drove down there this past weekend and places in Punta Gorda still do not have power. Sorry if I ruined your vacation /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Will

P.S. I read the other day that multiple people have died from running their generators inside! No matter how uncomfortable you are...that's a bad idea! No idea how people lived down here before AC. BTW...I live in Tallahassee now and have lived through hurricanes in Ft. Myers and Gainesville.

landshark77
08-30-2004, 07:51 PM
Thanx for your reply. I am not arriving until the 8th in Hollywood then the Keys on the 13. So I guess I should be Ok arriving? That is what I am worried most about. I can deal once I get there, I just wanna get there and have the hotel still be there.

I am glad your folks are OK. And thanx for your tips as far as comfort. It is much appreciated.

mred477
08-30-2004, 08:50 PM
Your arrival will be ok as long as the airport is still standing. At least you won't have to spend your vacation in a shelter though =). Poor people in Punta Gorda had the roof of their shelter blow off.

Will

PQQLK9
08-31-2004, 02:59 AM
Where do you play? I usually play at Snookers when I am in Tallahassee.

landshark77
08-31-2004, 07:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mred477:</font><hr> Your arrival will be ok as long as the airport is still standing. At least you won't have to spend your vacation in a shelter though =). Poor people in Punta Gorda had the roof of their shelter blow off.

Will

<hr /></blockquote>

Wow, Will, that's pretty terrible. I was watching the Keys during that Hurricane. Since it missed the Keys, I figures it missed all of FL. I didn't realize it was that bad until I started talking with people a few days later.

Kato
08-31-2004, 11:16 AM
As of yesterday we were tracking it to land in Ft Pierce, will north of Miami area and no where near Key West. Me thinks you'll be fine but stay glued to the Weather Channel to be sure.

Kato

landshark77
08-31-2004, 02:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> As of yesterday we were tracking it to land in Ft Pierce, will north of Miami area and no where near Key West. Me thinks you'll be fine but stay glued to the Weather Channel to be sure.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

How far is that from Hollywood? I have to go there first. I am most worried about Hollywood, I am excieted about Key West, but that is secondary right now.

I really hope the whole thing just decides to turn around. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

mred477
08-31-2004, 05:54 PM
Just looked at update. Weather Center (http://www.weather.com/newscenter/tropical/?from=0803wc)

The path is pretty giant. One wrong turn and you're right in it. But I agree that it probably won't hit Hollywood, Miami, or the Keys hard at this point, so flying in shouldn't be a problem.

Will

mred477
08-31-2004, 05:58 PM
Just moved here, and my company has me working 70 hour weeks so far, so I haven't had any time to really look. Went out to Pockets with coworkers one night, but none of them wanted to play. Probably check out the pool scene around here next weekend. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Used to play in Gainesville while I was in college in the student union. $2.50 per hour, unlimited number of people during the day...plus no cigarettes. Of course, not gonna play at the student union here and converse with those Seminoles /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Will

landshark77
08-31-2004, 06:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mred477:</font><hr> Just looked at update. Weather Center (http://www.weather.com/newscenter/tropical/?from=0803wc)

The path is pretty giant. One wrong turn and you're right in it. But I agree that it probably won't hit Hollywood, Miami, or the Keys hard at this point, so flying in shouldn't be a problem.

Will <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, I have been watching the weather channel non stop and visiting multiple weather related web sites. I wish they could tell me something definitive. Where is Ms. Cleo when you really need her? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rod
08-31-2004, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where is Ms. Cleo when you really need her?
<hr /></blockquote>

Probably in the slammer! LOL Good luck on the weather.

landshark77
08-31-2004, 07:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr>
Probably in the slammer! LOL Good luck on the weather. <hr /></blockquote>

Do you have the number there? (She must have a man/woman already, as I have not seen her on those date a jail bird sites.) I could really use her premonitionary crystal ball powers; even if it cost $99 a second. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Kato
08-31-2004, 08:12 PM
100 miles north. We're preparing down here but you do that out of respect of the storm.

Kato

landshark77
08-31-2004, 08:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> 100 miles north. We're preparing down here but you do that out of respect of the storm.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

I do hope that your area is spared, even if you are fully prepared. Thank you for your help. And I am so sorry that your signature was deleted...what a shame. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Rod
08-31-2004, 09:09 PM
Umm, no. Why are most hurricane's named after women? Bonus question, what year did they start giving them women's names? HTH

landshark77
08-31-2004, 09:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Umm, no. Why are most hurricane's named after women? Bonus question, what year did they start giving them women's names? HTH <hr /></blockquote>

Hum...Women are ill tempered, strong, vicious, and when we are on the war path foget it...we will take you out as well as what ever fool or structure tries to protect you by getting in our way! Did I get it right? Did I, huh, did I ? As far as the year goes...I'm not sure, but I will blame it on Clinton, Gore, and Kerry. Democrats, geez. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rod
08-31-2004, 10:43 PM
Answer, there not. But equal opportunity since 1979. LOL You get an A though for a descripitve answer.

Your close, Truman was in office (Dem) unofficially named Bess after his wife. So, OK, will blame it on them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
09-01-2004, 06:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> 100 miles north. We're preparing down here but you do that out of respect of the storm.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

It's coming right at ya' Kato.

projected path (http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm6/projectedpath_large.html)

landshark FYI Hollywood is about 15 miles south of Kato-town.

eg8r
09-01-2004, 06:50 AM
LOL, I don't blame you.

When were you at UF? I loved the SU there.

eg8r

Barbara
09-01-2004, 06:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Where is Ms. Cleo when you really need her?
<hr /></blockquote>

Probably in the slammer! LOL Good luck on the weather. <hr /></blockquote>

LOL!!!

Yeah, but she could see that coming, right?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Barbara

mred477
09-01-2004, 07:56 PM
At UF from Aug. 1999 to this past May. Didn't really get into the pool hall much after 2001 due to my schoolwork (stupid engineering). Took up a form of Karate and that took away too (not to mention meeting my wife). Regardless, the smokeless pool hall is sweeeet!

Will

Rod
09-01-2004, 10:34 PM
I'll bet that was the only one she saw coming and didn't need the cards. LOL

Voodoo Daddy
09-02-2004, 05:34 AM
I wanna go on the record with this. If Hurricane Francis shreds my belongings again, I'm moving up to New England and will never utter the word Florida again...pray for us, this one is a bitch!!

Voodoo~~~bunkerin' down

Barbara
09-02-2004, 07:02 AM
Hey Voodoo!

You FLA guys take care!!

This is what NOAA's got on Frances right now:

http://www.osei.noaa.gov/iod.html

Barbara

landshark77
09-02-2004, 07:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> ...pray for us, this one is a bitch!! <hr /></blockquote>

Oh, I am. The weather channel is really not that much help. Seems the media doesn't want to be so precise after the 2000 election fiasco. LOL. Do any of you guys have a clearer indication of where it is going to hit?

RedHell
09-02-2004, 07:08 AM
This is the predicted path as of right now by the NHC.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT06/refresh/AL0604W5+GIF/020903W5.gif

You can't expect them to be precise down to a tee, a hurricane can drastically move out of the predicted path. I remember Emilie, she hit Bermuda and an hour or two after passing shifted and hit it a second time... /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

You can never predict mother nature !!!

landshark77
09-02-2004, 07:21 AM
OK, I am no geography major, but what city is that where the picture is showing the impact? I can not tell based on that map. And also the hotel said that they are built up to standards and that a hotel is the safest place to be in a hurricane. Was this a line of crap or is there really a good chance that the hotel won't be affected in the strom?
And I am also still worried about de plane! de plane! and if it will take me there. How long after a storm like this is stuff menoverable?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif &lt;-such a total worry wart and pathetic. You can slapp her at the slapping booth. The line forms around the corner.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-02-2004, 07:46 AM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Video/040902/tdy_couric_hurricane_040902.vsmall.jpg

yikes !!!!!!

Wally_in_Cincy
09-02-2004, 07:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> OK, I am no geography major, but what city is that where the picture is showing the impact? <hr /></blockquote>

Delray Beach, about 70 miles N. of Hollywood. (guessing)

You've got 6 days. No sense worrying now. It'll be gone by the time you get there. It's gonna be a mess though.

Eric.
09-02-2004, 08:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> I wanna go on the record with this. If Hurricane Francis shreds my belongings again, I'm moving up to New England and will never utter the word Florida again...pray for us, this one is a bitch!!

Voodoo~~~bunkerin' down <hr /></blockquote>

Hope things turn out alright. Keep your head down and stock up on water and ammo!

Eric &gt;fingers are crossed

Rod
09-02-2004, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You can slapp her at the slapping booth. The line forms around the corner.
<hr /></blockquote>

On the light side, it reminds me of the movie Airport. A line forms to slap that woman.

rod, would be concerned to

Wally_in_Cincy
09-02-2004, 11:53 AM
Hey Eric, you know why Frances is so mad? He said "Call me Frances and I'll kill you" and somebody called him Frances.

Wally &lt;~~ assumes everyone has seen "Stripes" /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

landshark77
09-02-2004, 11:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Quote:
You can slapp her at the slapping booth. The line forms around the corner.
<hr /></blockquote>

On the light side, it reminds me of the movie Airport. A line forms to slap that woman.

rod, would be concerned to <hr /></blockquote>

You are still way upset about that whole desert island thing huh? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
09-02-2004, 11:59 AM
It is going to hit the entire state. The thing is huge and moving forward slowly.

eg8r

eg8r
09-02-2004, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And also the hotel said that they are built up to standards and that a hotel is the safest place to be in a hurricane. Was this a line of crap or is there really a good chance that the hotel won't be affected in the strom?
And I am also still worried about de plane! de plane! and if it will take me there. How long after a storm like this is stuff menoverable?
<hr /></blockquote> The hotels should be alright but nothing can be predicted. As far as the plane, you should not have to worry about it. They will close the airport before it is too dangerous to land. The bad part would be if you are on one of the last planes to come in and find out there is no way out of the airport (taxis have left and everyone renting a car has gone home to be safe /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif ). Then you have to ride the storm out in the uncomfortable seats at the airport. However, you are probably safe there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r &lt;~~~Heading to my father-in-laws house to ride out the storm waiting for my wife to go into labor (baby is due Friday), and playing pool.

Barbara
09-02-2004, 12:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>eg8r &lt;~~~Heading to my father-in-laws house to ride out the storm waiting for my wife to go into labor (baby is due Friday), and playing pool. <hr /></blockquote>

OMG Ed!! Take care of yourselves!!

I guess if the baby's a girl, you'll have a leg up on what to name her!!

Barbara

SPetty
09-02-2004, 12:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> eg8r &lt;~~~Heading to my father-in-laws house to ride out the storm waiting for my wife to go into labor (baby is due Friday), and playing pool. <hr /></blockquote>hahaha, got nothing else to do while riding out the hurricane, might as well have a baby! Good luck with everything. Please tell Heather I said "Howdy".

landshark77
09-02-2004, 12:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>
I guess if the baby's a girl, you'll have a leg up on what to name her!!
<hr /></blockquote>

I dunno, Frances is an awlful cute boys name too! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Be safe down there, I'm not going until after it hits though.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-02-2004, 12:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> ....I guess if the baby's a girl, you'll have a leg up on what to name her!!

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Hillary?

9 Ball Girl
09-02-2004, 12:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr>On the light side, it reminds me of the movie Airport. A line forms to slap that woman.<hr /></blockquote>Did you mean the movie Airplane? I think Airport is the one with sequels about disastrous flights.

Barbara
09-02-2004, 01:01 PM
Shark,

Francis is a boy's name. Frances is a girl's name.

A least, that's what I was told after misspelling it once a long, long time ago. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Barbara

landshark77
09-02-2004, 01:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Shark,

Francis is a boy's name. Frances is a girl's name.

A least, that's what I was told after misspelling it once a long, long time ago. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Barbara
<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, hooked on phonics didn't work for me.

Rod
09-02-2004, 01:17 PM
That's what I mean. Umm lets see - Airports, planes land, take off or crash. Airplanes, where a woman gets slapped or a line for favors. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod
09-02-2004, 01:19 PM
No, but you did cut out one of my CD's. ha ha ha

pooltchr
09-02-2004, 01:35 PM
It looks to be heading directly toward Palm Beach, but a 1 or 2 degree shift could change that. Also remember this storm is about 300 miles from one side to the other. South and Central Florida is all going to feel the impact.
It is looking pretty ugly.

9 Ball Girl
09-02-2004, 02:03 PM
Will it die as it goes further inland? All it's power is from the ocean, right?

Wendy~~~hoping I can fly down to VA on Monday... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

landshark77
09-02-2004, 02:04 PM
Thank you for the update. The uncertianty is driving me crazy!

landshark77
09-02-2004, 02:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Will it die as it goes further inland? All it's power is from the ocean, right?

Wendy~~~hoping I can fly down to VA on Monday... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I am about 3 hours from where you are going...you should be OK, VA souldn't be affected.

eg8r
09-02-2004, 03:57 PM
LOL, nothing else to do. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif They do have a new Brunswick 9 ft table, so we will be playing some pool also. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
09-02-2004, 03:59 PM
The baby is a girl, however we will be naming her Haleigh Ann Newman. NO FRANCES!!!!!! (screaming in my best impersonation of the Howard Dean breakdown /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

eg8r

Rod
09-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Pronounced Hay-Lee? From past family history there are several Frances, Francis, and a Francis Marion which is a boy. Probably the most odd as a girl is one named Hepzibeth. LOL

Barbara
09-02-2004, 05:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Probably the most odd as a girl is one named Hepzibeth. LOL <hr /></blockquote>

Why am I picturing Marty Feldman and his "Young Frankenstein" lisp as "Igor" right now??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara

Kato
09-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Wally, it's a huge storm, I'm expecting Tropical Storm forced winds and will not be evacuating.

Kato

landshark77
09-02-2004, 06:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> I'm expecting Tropical Storm forced winds and will not be evacuating.
<hr /></blockquote>

You are a brave one! Good luck to you, you are in my thoughts/prayers and please keep us updated, if you have the means.

Kato
09-02-2004, 09:49 PM
She's weakened a tad. 125 mph sustained winds, a category 3 storm. Getting a little more ragged but the path remains the same. Man she's a big one.

Kato

eg8r
09-02-2004, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pronounced Hay-Lee? <hr /></blockquote> Yes sir. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
09-02-2004, 10:04 PM
You aren't kidding. We are expecting to get drilled for a couple hours. I am not boarding up my windows, hope that choice will be alright. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif This is pretty awful to see happening, my neighborhood looks so different just after Charley. We had a lot of trees fall. It is odd to look down the street now. The sad part, is that this storm definitely could be worse. Hopefully it continues to break up and we just get a lot of water (not too much).

eg8r

Kato
09-02-2004, 10:11 PM
My Aunt lives in Altamonte Springs and she sent me a picture of all of the fallen trees in her neighborhood from Charlie. Be safe my friend.

Kato

landshark77
09-06-2004, 11:50 AM
Well 'ol Frances killed my vacation plans...oh, well...I hope everyone in FL was safe and did not suffer from too much damage. Thank you everyone for playing into my totally crazy insanity/ anxiety attack. I appreciate it.

Rod
09-06-2004, 11:57 PM
LS

I hope everyone is ok to. Any live body reports from florida? Kato, VooDoo, you alive?? What do you mean you cancelled? No adventure huh? Really I'm sorry it happened but some things work out for the best, I think. Problem is you never know what's best because you haven't experienced them.

Think about the thrill. Um, well I think in time we'll here about thrill.

landshark77
09-07-2004, 06:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> What do you mean you cancelled?
<hr /></blockquote>

Eh, the whole point in going was for the WPBA tourney... and Jimmy Buffett land was a bonus. I guess it wasn't meant to be. I am very POed about it still, but what can you do? The bad thing is I don't want to waste my vacation days sitting at home so I have to work now. But, really my misery is kinda petty compared to those that lost their homes, so I'm going to stop complaining now.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-07-2004, 07:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> Eh, the whole point in going was for the WPBA tourney... <hr /></blockquote>

The same thing happened for a few of us last year when Isabel disrupted the US Open.

Look at the bright side. If they have the tourney in December you will be glad to be in the nice weather for a few days.

landshark77
09-07-2004, 11:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
Look at the bright side. If they have the tourney in December you will be glad to be in the nice weather for a few days. <hr /></blockquote>

True. I just hope my schedule allows for it.

Kato
09-13-2004, 08:49 PM
All is well. No problems here.

Kato

landshark77
09-13-2004, 09:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> All is well. No problems here.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

Glad to hear it!

Rod
09-13-2004, 10:47 PM
Glad to hear Kato, I was thinking about you guys you know. I sure wouldn't want to default on you, I still owe you a couple of beers!!

Rod

Kato
09-14-2004, 12:08 AM
Thanks Rod. We really do appreciate it when folks worry about these storms baring down on us.

Kato~~~hopes to actually collect those beers.

Vagabond
09-14-2004, 03:48 AM
we are going to be hit by Ivan tonight.I live on the Beach front(100-125 feet from water).last night I hit some balls and bid good bye to the waitresses and others.I may drive towards Batton Rouge,Louisiana for safety.Cheers
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

landshark77
09-15-2004, 03:20 PM
Stay safe.

Troy
09-15-2004, 07:51 PM
Wishing you well...
Baton Rouge may not be far enuf...

Troy...~~~ Damn glad he's not in Biloxi (was there in USAF)