PDA

View Full Version : Shooting with either hand?

SnakebyteXX
08-30-2004, 04:57 PM
I originally learned to shoot pool righ-handed but I recently got a StrokeTrainer and started practicing with my left-hand. I've now gotten to the point where I will switch to my left hand instead of using a bridge for those easy shots that are just out of reach for a righty. It strikes me that developing a decent stroke on both sides could come in real handy some day (pun intended).

Anyone else here think that learning to be an ambidextrous shooter is a skill worth having? Or is it better to just stick with what you know and use a bridge or a cue extender - or both - when the time comes for an unreachable shot?

Snake -- who likes being a switch-hitter

Rod
08-30-2004, 05:34 PM
I think it's a skill definitely worth having. I won't use a bridge if it can be reached left handed. Most house bridges put dings in your shaft to boot. One shot, draw or follow, is where the c/b and o/b are near the foot end on the right rail. Using a bridge is more difficult to bring whitey back or follow for the two. Left handed makes this simple and you don't have to move the bridge out of the way.

START(
%AH0D3%Br2O1%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%PL4D6

)END

Go for it, it's just one more very useful useful tool.

Rod

Barbara
08-30-2004, 05:37 PM
Rod,

Besides the Filipinos, the most impressive female player being ambidextrious would be Jennifer Chen. She shoots so easily on both sides, it's inspiring.

Barbara~~~hopes to win that Stroketrainer...

SnakebyteXX
08-30-2004, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Barbara~~~hopes to win that Stroketrainer... <hr /></blockquote>

Although it has come in real handy I wasn't really trying to push the ST as the only way to get the job done. I'm sure there are others. When I first started practicing my left hand was totally spazzed out and the ST helped to kind of harness it (it NEEDED a harness - really) to the task. Now I'm able to tell it to do something and it actually seems to be listening to me (my left hand NOT the ST - lol) which is a good thing cuz it's never had to behave itself before.

At first, shooting with my off-hand was like starting all over from scratch. REALLY awkward. Now it's slowly becoming another comfortable tool that I have in my arsenal and I need all the help I can get.

Snake

Rod
08-30-2004, 05:54 PM
Barbara,

Yes she is a very talented young lady. I'm supprised the women players that use the bridge for a similar shot. I watched KC follow a ball, with the bridge, and ended up well short. Good attempt but using the bridge is limited.

I've seen more do similar so I find it amazing so few will even attempt an off handed shot.

Rod

StarCrunch
08-30-2004, 05:54 PM
Years ago I worked at a bar with pool tables and during the slow periods I'd play pool, usually with myself. To make things more interesting I started playing left hand vs right hand(primary)and soon got to be pretty good left-handed, almost as good as the right.

It came in handy later on as there wasn't always a bridge available. Also,if I were playing with someone who wasn't good or as good I'd play them left-handed to give them a little more of a chance, unless $$$ was involved. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I can't see where being ambidexterous would be a bad thing unless it kept you from achieving your full potential with your normal hand.

Rod
08-30-2004, 05:59 PM
What usually makes it awkward is making a good solid bridge. Once you get comfortable with a right hand bridge it makes all left handed shots a lot easier.

Rod

SnakebyteXX
08-30-2004, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What usually makes it awkward is making a good solid bridge. Once you get comfortable with a right hand bridge it makes all left handed shots a lot easier.
<hr /></blockquote>

You're absolutely right. When I first tried it both my hands were acting like "Who Me?" Even my right hand that normally obeys me had trouble understanding the concept of how to make a proper bridge. It's been learning a little faster than it's wild friend over on the left and that's been very helpful.

Snake

Barbara
08-30-2004, 06:15 PM
Actually, from what I've heard, the StrokeTrainer is good for both sides for whatever side you're naturally angled to shoot for.

I'd like to have a shot at this invention and maybe pick up another sponsor for my tour. I've heard great things about it!

Barbara

Sid_Vicious
08-30-2004, 07:07 PM
I was lucky, left happened to be nearly as natural for me as right, in fact I wondered if I wasn't supposed to be a leftie...well, I couldn't hit a barn with a baseball at 30 yards left, but pool seems perfectly natural for me. Thing about going off hand is that you have oh so much more ability to draw and follow accurately(as already noted.) Funny thing though is that my mentor will pipe up when I fail on one of my left handed shots out of 9 others which I have played well, and say "That's why you should use the bridge!" Call me a stubborn butthead but I never listened even though the guy is far more skilled than I, but left handed...well I played him years back for cash with both of us off hand and stripped him of enough cash that he said he wasn't EVER gonna take that bet again. Gotta love it!!!sid~~~offered a couple of the gamblers on the nines to play off hand, both of us, and almost never got a taker, even playing even ;-)))

Chris Cass
08-31-2004, 12:23 AM
How could this possible hurt you? I think it's also great in keeping your rhythm going too. You could enter in events that wern't available in the other hand too.

JMHO,

C.C.~~right handed and can't stroke lefthanded to save my life. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif