PDA

View Full Version : Seeing to Good???

A_LOTA_NOTA
08-30-2004, 08:25 PM
I recently had laser vision correction & now have 20/15 vision. Everything has been great so far except now when I am down on a ball I find myself looking at the reflection of the lights or other objects in the ball & not the spot I need to hit. Maybe this has nothing to do with the surgery but I never noticed this before. Usually I have already missed the shot before I realize I wasn't concentrating on the right spot. Anyone else have this problem & how do I get over it?

Rod
08-30-2004, 09:21 PM
I'll take your 20/15 and give you mine. LOL I'm not so certain mine wasn't just as good years ago. To answer your question as best as I can, I don't and never have looked at a spot. As in looking at a specific spot. I just look at the angle. If you could see a spot, how in the world would you stay focused on that spot? Your either hitting, 1/4 ball, 1/2 ball 3/4 ball, full ball, or somewhere in between but not really a spot, are you?

At any rate try not to be distracted by reflections in balls. More than anything it's new and caught your attention.

Rod

A_LOTA_NOTA
08-31-2004, 08:31 AM
I do shoot the angle, but I try to concentrate on the spot that will send the OB at the desired angle to the pocket. But I donít just aim for a 1/2, 1/4 hit, I aim for a specific spot in the OB. Maybe this is not the way it should be done. Does everyone aim for a 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 hit & Iím the only one to aim an imaginary spot on the ball?

Chris Cass
08-31-2004, 08:43 AM
Nota,

What Rod is actually saying is what they call ROTE. He doesn't need to aim at a particular imaginary spot. He might put that spot to use and then shoot the angle. This will become visable after yrs of playing. In the mean time, look for that aim spot and try to hit it. I say imaginary because, do you think anyone could hit the exact same spot? LOL Naa, Rod sees the amount of ball needed to make the shot. You have to keep in mind that the pocket is larger than 2 1/4" and you can be off and still make the ball. Now, you also split it up into 3 sides too.

Just do what you think and you'll be fine. After 20 yrs you'll lose some vision and you'll be fine then too. Not as well as you'ld like but you can be very good. Deadly, in Rods case.

Regards,

C.C.

rah
08-31-2004, 09:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote A_LOTA_NOTA:</font><hr> I recently had laser vision correction &amp; now have 20/15 vision. Everything has been great so far except now when I am down on a ball I find myself looking at the reflection of the lights or other objects in the ball &amp; not the spot I need to hit. Maybe this has nothing to do with the surgery but I never noticed this before. Usually I have already missed the shot before I realize I wasn't concentrating on the right spot. Anyone else have this problem &amp; how do I get over it? <hr /></blockquote>

This is a commonality for people just having laser vision - the halo effect. At night, if you notice headlights more to the point where it is difficult to drive, as I did, then you have a halo problem. You will naturally see more reflections coming from the object ball due to the halo effect. It went away for me after 6 months and completly after a year.

SnakebyteXX
08-31-2004, 11:49 AM
I had Lasik surgery over five years ago and my halo effect has never gone away. While driving at night any lights that I see have 'starring' around them - particularly headlights. It's a pain in the ass but I've learned to deal with it.

Still I'm not so sure that's what this particular complaint is about. Sounds more like he's seeing more detail than he's used to and it's distracting. There's literally more information coming in due to the improved vision than there once was. The solution will probably occur naturally over time as the brain learns to filter the new information in a way that enables it to 'see' shots and not be distracted.

Just my dos centavos and nothing more.

Snake

pooltchr
08-31-2004, 11:50 AM
Aiming for a spot on the ob only works if you are shooting a half ball shot or less. Anything more than half ball, and your actual aiming point is no longer on the ob.
Lots of people use incriments of the ball to determine the aiming point. I pick the point where the center of the cb has to pass to get the correct angle. I suppose it is very closely akin to the ghost ball theory of aiming. Whatever it is, it works for me. You will need to find the system that works for you.

Rod
08-31-2004, 12:11 PM
That fairly well sums it up Chris. I probably should have explained a little better but I didn't want to write a short story. lol These days I'm not so sure about the deadly part but thanks for the vote of confidence.

Rod