PDA

View Full Version : Sad day for Indian Larry fans :(

nAz
08-31-2004, 04:20 AM
I read that he was also a stunt man, i did not know that about him. tell ya what though the man built some awesome machines!

http://www.indianlarry.com

'Indian Larry' said killed at bike show

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

CONCORD, N.C. -- A custom motorcycle builder known for his appearances on cable's Discovery Channel died Monday at a hospital of head injuries suffered during a stunt, officials said.

"Indian Larry" fell off a motorcycle Saturday while performing before 8,000 people at an arena outside Charlotte. He was not wearing a helmet, the officials said.

Indian Larry was standing on the moving bike when it began to wobble and went out of control, said Mike Downs, Cabarrus County deputy manager. His full name was not immediately known.

"Indian Larry was a man with great skill and talent as a mechanic and metal sculptor," said Robert Freeman, chairman of the county board of commissioners. "He will be truly missed by his fans here in Cabarrus County and throughout the nation."

Indian Larry, who appeared in movies and television shows, was featured on a Discovery Channel series in which motorcycle builders design and build bikes from scratch, then have them judged by motorcycle aficionados.

eg8r
08-31-2004, 05:37 AM
That is really sad, you are right, he did build some great motorcycles.

eg8r

catscradle
08-31-2004, 07:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> I read that he was also a stunt man, i did not know that about him. tell ya what though the man built some awesome machines!
... <hr /></blockquote>

I'm not a fan of motorcycles, especially choppers; but his did have some nice classic looks.

It is too bad he got killed, but I've got to say it is his own damn fault. It is bad enough riding at all without a helmet, but doing stunts. If you want to live the macho life, I guess you got to accept the possibility of a macho death.

nAz
08-31-2004, 07:21 AM
I do not know the full story of how he died but man if he was doing stunts he really should have had his helmet on, if not for him for his family.

Fred Agnir
08-31-2004, 08:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> It is too bad he got killed, but I've got to say it is his own damn fault. It is bad enough riding at all without a helmet, but doing stunts. <hr /></blockquote>That was his life. I have to believe that if he had a choice of how his life would end, it would be on a motorcycle sans helmet, preferably doing a stunt like his famous "standing on the seat with hands up in the air."

Fred

Cueless Joey
08-31-2004, 08:25 AM
OMG!
That is sad.
I admired Indian Larry after watching his work and his humanity on The Great American Bike Off.
He lived his life his way. He was old school. He made bikes so you could stand on them. Sadly, he did not believe in wearing a helmet.
I hope this tragedy wakes up every rider.

9 Ball Girl
08-31-2004, 10:48 AM
Wow. I loved his work. From what I can remember from seeing him on the Great American Bike Off, he leaves a wife behind, yes?

Eric.
08-31-2004, 12:03 PM
Definitely sad. The guy had a big heart and a love for livin and ridin.

I met Indian Larry at a rest stop, in the rain, off of the NY Thruway in 1986. We were riding to Am Jam, a bike run on Memorial Day weekend and say Larry and his Indian Chief leaking a ton of oil from the front cylinder. He just got the bike together; a black chopper with brass plated parts, suicide shift and a big azz motor. Nice ride. Anyway, we stopped, helped him tighten the nuts on the cylinder and rode on. Amazingly, the bike didn't leak for the rest of the ride.

I gotta swing by Gasoline Alley to find out when services are.

Eric &gt;Ride hard, Die free

woody_968
08-31-2004, 12:11 PM
Sorry to see this, he really had a great talent for building bikes.

Voodoo Daddy
08-31-2004, 01:24 PM
Eric...PM me with that info. The boys wanna send a wreath

Voodoo~~~too sad to post

Eric.
08-31-2004, 01:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> "R.I.P. Indian Larry...G.B.N.F." <hr /></blockquote>

Definitely a Good Brother, Never Forgotten. I'll send the info.

Eric

nAz
08-31-2004, 02:34 PM
weird i was by his place last Friday night, but i did not get a chance to drop by. i wanted to see if i could get his autograph (if he was there)but the girl i was with was "afraid of bikers" dumb broad, wait maybe i was the dumb ass i should have gone and got it anyway!