PDA

View Full Version : Derby City Ring Game II

Deeman2
08-31-2004, 07:00 AM
I was surprised and delighted to see that they are broadcasting the second series of ring games on Empire (Dish 432) starting last night. I had half expected to see the first one rebroadcast.

I even enjoy hearing Danny D. instead of more canned commentary. Am I imagining things or does Jimmy M. sound a little more like Fats the older he gets?

Anyway, I like the format as it reminds me of ring games in Memphis when I was a kid. Has anyone tried the pay-per-view on Billiard Network on-line? I was wondering if it was worth it for the U.S. Open, etc. I just imagine a jumpy little image that will stop and buffer every ten seconds and don't want to spend the money just for that.

Deeman

rocky
08-31-2004, 07:33 AM
I heard for a vary reliable sorce that espn is taping a ring game here in the next couple of months for airing on espn 2.

Fred Agnir
08-31-2004, 07:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> Am I imagining things or does Jimmy M. sound a little more like Fats the older he gets? <hr /></blockquote>No surprise. Mataya traveled with Wanderone. He has credited Wanderone for giving him his monicker "Pretty Boy Floyd."

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
08-31-2004, 08:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> ... I was wondering if it was worth it for the U.S. Open, etc. I just imagine a jumpy little image that will stop and buffer every ten seconds and don't want to spend the money just for that.

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

If you have a high-speed connection it works well. The picture suffers a bit w/ a full screen but with a smaller display you can use the chat room while you watch.

woody_968
08-31-2004, 08:42 AM
I was watching this match last night (DVD)

I would love to see more of these!

Deeman2
08-31-2004, 09:49 AM
Fred,

Yes, I first met Jimmy when he was with Rudy. Wally, thanks for the info, I'll try it to see.

Dee

Kato
08-31-2004, 11:23 AM
I actually watched the DDC on Dial up and was in the chat room at the same time. It was a little choppy but not terribly so. Now I've got cable so when the DDC comes around this year I'll be all over it, start to finish.

Kato

Fred Agnir
08-31-2004, 11:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> Anyway, I like the format as it reminds me of ring games in Memphis when I was a kid. Has anyone tried the pay-per-view on Billiard Network on-line? <hr /></blockquote>I paid for it. It was only something like $10 for the entire week. I watched it both at home (Cable) and on the road (broadband). The ring games were the most exciting broadcasts of pool I have ever witnessed.

Fred

Rod
08-31-2004, 11:52 AM
I don't know if I want to pay $40 but many probably will. The price sure jumped big time once they found out many people watched.

To answer your question, I'm on cable and the video was pretty good. Sometimes people lost connection but not for long. Usually just sign back in and it was there. It was light years ahead of those choppy connections. I suspect having cable with a decent video card would be helpful, however my old card was a cheapie compared to standards then and now.

Rod

Deeman2
08-31-2004, 01:06 PM
Thanks everyone:

I do have broadband so I'll give it a shot.

Deeman

Tom_In_Cincy
08-31-2004, 01:51 PM
DeeMan,
I was online for the entire 10 days for the DCC. The ring Games were great. The 1Pocket matches and Banks finals were outstanding.

The internet video was better than I expected. The chat room had a terrible moderator, he kept kicking people out of the chat room for being obnoxious.

I hope to be able to attend the next DCC 'Live' and not worry about chatting and Internet connections.

The US Open starts in SIX days.

woody_968
08-31-2004, 01:56 PM
I am planning on going next year /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

1on1pooltourneys
08-31-2004, 08:14 PM
The DCC is a must see for sure. It's just too bad that there aren't more tournaments like this. I think all tournaments should follow that format. The ring games are good too.