PDA

View Full Version : 14.1 last night

nAz
08-31-2004, 07:19 AM
Played Tony Robles last night at my 14.1 league, he had to go to 210 i needed 48. after we split the first rack he got going and ran about 64 or more then i got a shot and pull together another 7 points. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif After that he went up to i think 110. man what a shooter i was sort of hypnotize watching him perform, the guy is just brilliant.

i was hoping to get another shot at the table so i could try to make it respectable but it looked grim for me, then he happen to scratch on his break shot and believe it or not i ran 37 and out. my new high run, my previous was 25.

still can't believe i ran so many, i did not even realize it till he told me, guess i was really locked in. i think watching him shoot(his temple and stroke) and reading a few chapters from "play your best straight pool" really helped me out. hope i can do as well next week. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rocky
08-31-2004, 07:31 AM
Its amazing how playing somone like that can push your game where it has never been.

9 Ball Girl
08-31-2004, 07:52 AM
Congrats on your new high run! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve Lipsky
08-31-2004, 07:58 AM
Congrats Naz. In straight pool, the best kind of run is "anything-and-out" /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Especially when playing Tony. Good lord, that man shuts me down every time I play him. It is like I am not there, lol. YOU BEAT MY HERO NAZ... SHAME ON YOU /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, great win and great shooting. Did you keep playing to finish the run? Or just unscrew like this happens every day? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Steve <-- thinking about trying to watch Tony's temple next time we play

Leviathan
08-31-2004, 08:10 AM
Congrats on the great run, Naz!

AS

woody_968
08-31-2004, 08:51 AM
Good job nAz! Always feels good to perform well, but it feels GREAT to perform well when playing such talented competition!

Chris Cass
08-31-2004, 08:57 AM
Hi nAz,

First let me say congratulation. You me want to pewk.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~I was thinking you beat Wendy but Tony???? Wow a keeper!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

woody_968
08-31-2004, 09:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>
C.C.~~I was thinking you beat Wendy but Tony???? Wow a keeper!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Well I dont know Tony, and have only seen pictures of Wendy, but would have to say Wendy is much more of a keeper /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

After your last thread on butt plugs Im really starting to wonder about you CC /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Chris Cass
08-31-2004, 09:16 AM
Hi Woddy,

HAHAHAHAHAHAA Your too funny man. BTW, Wendy is a keeper for sure. Too bad some guys don't know her inside. I do but only as well as married guy could. She's a sweety.

No need to worry about me bro. Barry' my main squeeze. hahahahah Just don't tell him. He'll like bounce me off the ground like a ball, while making a cue with the other hand. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif J/K

Rich R.
08-31-2004, 09:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> YOU BEAT MY HERO NAZ... SHAME ON YOU /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Steve, there is a real difference here. When you play Tony and he has to get to 210, you have to get to 210 also. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I wish I could play 14.1 against Tony and be anything but a rack boy.

nAz, congrats to you on your new high run. That is some good work.

9 Ball Girl
08-31-2004, 09:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>C.C.~~I was thinking you beat Wendy but Tony???? Wow a keeper!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>nAz can't beat me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Tony had a hard time beating me too! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nAz
08-31-2004, 02:37 PM
Thank you everyone, i just hope i can do it again and it was not some kind of a fluke. Robles told me it will just get better from here on in.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr>

- Steve &lt;-- thinking about trying to watch Tony's temple next time we play <hr /></blockquote>

LOL err sorry i meant Tempo, but maybe i can spin this by saying that Tony R. was in his own temple when he was on the table. best i could come up with. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Uh i think i missed the shot right after he told me i had won. he said keep going and i messed up /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Steve will you be joining up in the league next season?

Chris Cass
08-31-2004, 02:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>
Steve, there is a real difference here. When you play Tony and he has to get to 210, you have to get to 210 also. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I wish I could play 14.1 against Tony and be anything but a rack boy.

nAz, congrats to you on your new high run. That is some good work. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Rich,

These handicaps are there for a reason. He might not make that game but he did overcome to win. That wasn't easy I'm sure and he I'm sure had to play to win that even with the spot. Tony knows he can't slack off and I don't believe for one minute he did. I think nAz shot great and besting his high run proved it.

So many players out here that refuse to shoot their best and expect to win with a handicap when ever they feel like hitting a ball or two higher. Like it's to be handed to them on a platter. I think it's fantastic and feel great for him. Imagine Tony giving us any shot? Let alone winning? Yep, it's a keeper.

Regards,

C.C.

9 Ball Girl
08-31-2004, 02:54 PM
I guess we can no longer call you 3 ball nAz!

Wendy~~~you've ousted yourself! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Chris Cass
08-31-2004, 02:57 PM
Now I'm really confused. I thought it was Onestone nAz?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

9 Ball Girl
08-31-2004, 02:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Now I'm really confused. I thought it was Onestone nAz?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA <hr /></blockquote>Well, that depends on how you look at it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Wendy~~~another thread hijacked!

nAz
08-31-2004, 03:09 PM
lol onestone?? lol

Hey 3 weeks back Tony played this guy who spots me 10 balls and he beat him bad the final score was Tony 210 - 4.
ouch i thought i that would be me last night. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Cass
08-31-2004, 03:13 PM
Hi nAz,

I'm telling you man. You've done good. Tony don't have to give you a shot and you have more pressure than he does. You did fantastic. IMHO

Regards,

C.C.

9 Ball Girl
08-31-2004, 03:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> lol onestone?? lol<hr /></blockquote> One Stone (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=npr&amp;Number=153704&amp;page=0&amp;v iew=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1)

Rod
08-31-2004, 03:47 PM
Congrats nAz, you did very well considering the presure and all. Tony was right, once you run a few it gets easier. You might want to put that 37 in the back of your mind. When you practice start trying to run 25 more often.(i'd set a goal within reach) Guaranteed, if you run 25 more often there will be several runs considerably higher. It's just the nature of the beast. It's a snow ball effect, run over two racks and you will run 50. Run 50 and 75 is a short goal, at 75, 100 or more is well within reach. Good luck, let it happen.

Rod, love to play in NYC against those killer players

CarolNYC
09-01-2004, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ran 37 and out. my new high run, my previous was 25.
<hr /></blockquote>
WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!
Way to go,Naz!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
09-01-2004, 04:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> These handicaps are there for a reason. He might not make that game but he did overcome to win. That wasn't easy I'm sure and he I'm sure had to play to win that even with the spot. Tony knows he can't slack off and I don't believe for one minute he did. I think nAz shot great and besting his high run proved it. <hr /></blockquote>
Chris, I didn't mean to belittle nAz's accomplishment in any way. He did play great and I would love to say that I beat Tony, no matter what the handicap.
I only meant to acknowledge the quality of Steve's game and the fact that Steve can play Tony straight up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
09-01-2004, 07:20 AM
Hi Rich,

I know that. I know what's in your heart and it's pure gold. Your the pool players player. The kind of guy that recognizes accomplishments and isn't afraid to share your thoughts when any good can become of it.

Steve, well? He could play heads up with anyone on the planet. Same for Tony in that matter. That goes without saying. I was merely thinking of the up and coming players. To me this is such a jump in play. The circumstances playing under this type of pressure and especially the opponent.

I don't put too much behind the opponents play but rather just playing the table. However, when you do play a formatable known player. Especially one of pro status, it's easy to get side tracked in your goals of playing your best.

nAz over came that and was able to win. The spots mean a lot but it's only getting the two players togather as evenly as possible. This isn't always the case but shooting a guy like Tony. A guy that doesn't have to miss. Well, nAz proved to himself that he's doing something in the way of positive improvement.

I didn't want nAz to take that as a small victory. I know you didn't want to portray that as one either. It goes without saying that Tony is far superior skilled player. It took many hrs of practice, and time away from many things to get where Tony and Steve are and also talent.

This proves to nAz even though he hasn't devoted the time and suffering that Tony and Steve have in the game. That he can and did something special. This feather is well deserved.

There's so many sacrafices(sp) that one must do to play at that level. My hats off to players like nAz that put in the extra time in the game. To see them win makes me happy. I know you were most likely thinking of it may have in some small way shadowed Tony' play. I know after meeting Tony one time. That he's truely happy for nAz and I also know he'll remember it next time too.

Your a good man Rich and I'd never think anything less of you.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve Lipsky
09-01-2004, 08:13 AM
Yo guys.... I don't want to hijack Naz's thread, but I just want to stick my head out for a sec and say that I do NOT play even with Tony, lol. Rich R, I appreciate the sentiment very much, but you really have to watch Tony to see how well he plays. No matter what game he is playing, he simply refuses to make a mistake.

This is why Naz's accomplishment is all the more admirable.

- Steve

Rich R.
09-01-2004, 08:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Rich R, I appreciate the sentiment very much, but you really have to watch Tony to see how well he plays. No matter what game he is playing, he simply refuses to make a mistake.<hr /></blockquote>
Steve, with all due respect, although it was 9-ball, I have seen Tony and you play. There is not as much difference as you think. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

dmgwalsh
09-01-2004, 08:45 AM
congratulations on a great accomplishment. Where is your league? ny? Sounds like you've probably got some very good players in that league. How long have you been playing in it? Looks like it might have helped improve your game. Keep it up.
Dennis

nAz
09-01-2004, 11:30 AM
Rich i understood your post so do not woory about it /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nAz
09-01-2004, 11:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> congratulations on a great accomplishment. Where is your league? ny? Sounds like you've probably got some very good players in that league. How long have you been playing in it? Looks like it might have helped improve your game. Keep it up.
Dennis <hr /></blockquote>

thanks.

NYC corner billiard

There are good players and not so good, it's about 40/60
i signed up to learn how to play 14.1, the concept of the game sounds easy enough ( shot any called ball in any pocket) but when i get on the table i get lost pretty quickly. i figured the only way to learn was to play it steady and this was the only place in NY that i new that has a league.
I have been playing 14.1 for maybe a few months now and starting last month i decided to take it seriously. it has improved my 9b game too , at least i feel that it has.

9 Ball Girl
09-01-2004, 12:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> this was the only place in NY that i new that has a league. <hr /></blockquote>Dude, there's a 14.1 league at Master Billiards on Tuesday nights that Alexandra runs. Steve Lipsky, Danny Barouty, Tommy Walter, Lenny Favata, and others play in that one.

dmgwalsh
09-01-2004, 12:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>

NYC corner billiard

i signed up to learn how to play 14.1, for maybe a few months now and starting last month i decided to take it seriously. it has improved my 9b game too , at least i feel that it has. <hr /></blockquote>

a few months and you've run 37?! Not bad. I'm still in the low 30s here in the Chicago area. I'll be in a league at Red shoes on Mondays in a few weeks and another one at Illinois Billiards Club on Tuesdays. One of the tables at the IBC is a 5 by 10, so that will be kind of cool. Dennis

nAz
09-01-2004, 02:24 PM
I thought that one fell through?

too much trouble for me to get to though.

nAz
09-01-2004, 02:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr>
a few months and you've run 37?! Not bad. I'm still in the low 30s here in the Chicago area. I'll be in a league at Red shoes on Mondays in a few weeks and another one at Illinois Billiards Club on Tuesdays. One of the tables at the IBC is a 5 by 10, so that will be kind of cool. Dennis <hr /></blockquote>

5 x 10 now that is cool.

ya few month now but i had been playing pool overall for over 3 years so it's not like im a stranger to the table /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Keith Talent
09-01-2004, 03:08 PM
Hey, naz, that's inspirational! Just a few months playing the game seriously and you come through like that ... fantastic. In honor of that, I took my own struggling 14.1 game off the shelf briefly last night, but my results didn't compare.

So you can't get a decent game down in Brooklyn?

bobroberts
09-03-2004, 05:17 PM
Congrats,that is a major accomplishment to beat someone that good.
Its just great that a pro will play with amateurs.I heard that Tony does not practice anymore.His practice is teaching or playing.
Bob