PDA

View Full Version : 8 ball power break

rah
09-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Just curious what your thoughts are on breaking using the rail as a bridge versus getting close to the headspot when you do an 8 ball power break. I am assuming here that the side rail is not used in this example.

My thoughts are that giving up a foot by going to the headrail to break is giving up a lot of real estate and that your accuracy may suffer. However, there are some good things said about using the rail as a bridge and I have seen some players and instructors who break from the head rail real successfully.

Thanks in advance.

bill190
09-01-2004, 10:10 AM
I recently started video taping my break shots. I learned while playing back my breaks in slow motion that I was not hitting the head ball on the same spot each time.

So I started practicing my break shots with only the cue ball on the table. I place it in the center and aim at the far center diamond. Then practice getting the ball to go as many rails as possible (speed) and to hit the far center diamond, then come straight back (center ball hit and aiming accuracy).

You could do the same, try breaking from the headspot -vs- breaking from the rail and see which gives you the most distance.

I get more speed with my bridge on the rail, but that is because I am throwing my whole body into the hit. I can't do this if I am leaning over the table.

ceebee
09-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Joe Tucker, author of "Racking Secrets", states in my new book that he chooses to bridge from the rail, rather than placing his bridge hand out at the headstring. He states that he can generate more speed accurately from this position. Remember that we are all different and some of us do the same thing a different way.