PDA

View Full Version : "Barry Berhman Blues"

Tom_In_Cincy
09-01-2004, 09:54 AM
Billiards Digest has a great multi-page article on Barry Berhman.

Barry's Story (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/current_issue/sep_04/)

Enjoy the reading, good insight on the Man born on April Fools day.

RedHell
09-01-2004, 09:57 AM
I read that last weekend and it is a good article. It is odd as it does bring the great quality of Barry, but still shows the demon he struggled with. It manages to demonstrate how good this man is while remaining impartial to some of his life decisions...

Great job !

eg8r
09-01-2004, 10:03 AM
Intersting read. Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
This'll be my eighth Corvette, but my first convertible. Been a Corvette man all my life. Just happen to like 'em. Smoothest ride you'll ever have. And they've worked out a lot of the kinks over the last six years, so this new one should be incredible. <font color="green"> If nothing else, it'll be a great investment.</font color> <hr /></blockquote> Since when did buying a car become a good investment? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

9 Ball Girl
09-01-2004, 10:23 AM
I read the article about a week ago. Very good read. It's funny 'cause there's a part in the article where he mentioned his 8th corvette, and from what I can remember, something about his current corvette having the plate read 9 Ball or something like that. It automatically struck a cord because last year as I was walking through the parking lot to the Convention Center, I happen to come across a silver corvette (corvettes are my fav!) saying just that and I remember trying to guess who's car it was. After reading that article, now I know!

Nostroke
09-01-2004, 10:26 AM
Smoothest ride you'll ever have?- In a corvette?
You feel every bubble in the tar. Every pebble is a boulder!

The car has been around since the 50's and now they're gonna get the kinks out?

catscradle
09-01-2004, 10:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Intersting read. Thanks.

&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
This'll be my eighth Corvette, but my first convertible. Been a Corvette man all my life. Just happen to like 'em. Smoothest ride you'll ever have. And they've worked out a lot of the kinks over the last six years, so this new one should be incredible. <font color="green"> If nothing else, it'll be a great investment.</font color> <hr /></blockquote> Since when did buying a car become a good investment? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

That's what people who want to spend their money on expensive toys tell themselves. That's what I say about my cues. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Deeman2
09-01-2004, 12:09 PM
A Corvette is a good investment if you don't drive it, keep it in a garage all the time and can wait twenty years to sell it.

I am on my third and I drive the wheels off it. I put over 100K myself on the other two. So, it's not a good investment for me but makes my weener feel bigger! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Just kidding....I think!...maybe not....who knows???...my wife!

Barbara
09-01-2004, 12:22 PM
Wow! Great article!! He genuinely seemed to be honest and upfront about everything.

So what I gather is, Charlie Williams boycotts the Open but the rest of the UPA members are allowed to play?

Barbara

9 Ball Girl
09-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Since I've been going to the Open, I've always seen UPA members play. I think, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, the UPA members that played had to sign some sort of waiver or something. They're playing this year but I'm not sure if they had to do the waiver thing again.

tateuts
09-01-2004, 12:44 PM
Typical promoter. Can't pay his taxes but here's cash for a new Corvette. Yikes!

Eric.
09-01-2004, 02:08 PM
Nice article.

For what it's worth, I know the CCB contingent will be there, come Hell or high water(literally), to support the US Open. I think Pool is better off WITH a US Open, rather than without.

Thanks Barry.

Eric

RedHell
09-01-2004, 02:26 PM
I had dinner with Danny Hewitt 2 nights ago and we were discussing this. The way it was brought up was as one of the reason for late registration of the players.

The thing was that the UPA threatened to organise a UPA stop at the same time, if this happened, no UPA player could play in the Open. Danny told me that many players are affraid that it could happen again as the war between Barry and Charlie(at the time) isn't over. And if you have paid your registration, you wouldn't get re-imbursed. Weather is another factor in Danny's case, plus the fact that the pool room he represent will be celebrating their 11th birthday on the 9th. He wasn't sure if the owner would let him go or expect his presence at the party...

Jimmy B
09-01-2004, 03:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> plus the fact that the pool room he represent will be celebrating their 11th birthday on the 9th. He wasn't sure if the owner would let him go or expect his presence at the party... <hr /></blockquote>

Tell him to send a card, the room will understand. I know 11 is a tough age but it is the US Open after all and when the room grows up it will look back and understand why Danny wasn't there for him.

JB

RedHell
09-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Well the room might hold a grudge during its teenage years but as soon as it becomes an adult, it will understand /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

In respect to the owner, his answer was: "You better go there and perform well ! There's no way you can miss the Open !"

Pizza Bob
09-03-2004, 11:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> Smoothest ride you'll ever have?- In a corvette?
You feel every bubble in the tar. Every pebble is a boulder!

The car has been around since the 50's and now they're gonna get the kinks out? <hr /></blockquote>

Blasphemer!!! Long live the plastic car!!

Adios,

Pizza Bob&lt;---Can feel the pea under the mattress, but doesn't care, as long as the mattress can go 0-60 in under 5 seconds

SpiderMan
09-07-2004, 08:23 AM
It's an investment in fun, sort of like a cue stick. I was also a corvette man for years, but when the last time to trade came around and they had brought out the C5 series, I just wasn't that impressed. It was faster, but less comfortable (my head rubbed the roof), and the steering wheel no longer telescoped (my long legs force me to drive with the seat all the way back).

So, I bought a full-size Dodge pickup. I was glad I wasn't in the Corvette last year when I became a northbound grille ornament on a southbound 18-wheeler /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Replaced that Dodge pickup with another Dodge pickup!

SpiderMan

Deeman2
09-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Damn Spiderman:

We are both from Memphis, we both have (in your case had) Corvettes, we both drive a Dodge Pick'em up and both have movie star looks! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Can't want until the 18th at Spetty's....

Deeman