PDA

View Full Version : My son is in the direct path of hurricaine frances

bluewolf
09-02-2004, 09:43 AM
Talked to my son last night. He said Frances is expected to hit landfall as cat 5, with a direct hit at where he lives on Fl coast, Palm Bay.

Now he works for the Fl health dept as a computer tech. He got a recent promotion which put his work place in Palm beach, a little south of Palm Bay. They needed someone to keep a hospital up there with respect to the computer stuff, the servers, and so people on life support and such do not die. Says there is a generator, but you never know how adequate those are. Just depends on the hospital. He says the structure is solid because it used to be a bomb shelter.

All the other computer folks (IT) bailed out, left, Tony volunteered to stay. He takes a disaster preparation course at the Red Cross tonight, I guess in Palm Beach. He and his girlfriend just think they will survive anything, they do not leave, ever. Those kids never think of things like tidal waves or typhoons, so innocent are they. And, even though he stays to help people, last night he talked about how good it would look on his resume and getting that promotion into the next higher job that is open, not thinking at all if the costs to him and his girlfriend out weigh all of that.

I know that they sometimes hit in other places or turn, but, they are really moving out, those that can, in those areas down there. But my son is staying, because he volunteered.

I grew up in this fear for my grandparents who lived in Naples, connections cut off when one hit. They did not die but their home was destroyed more than once. So, although, this is not new to me, he is my only son, so it is worse.

I sure would appreciate any prayers for him, that this damn thing will not hit him, should it hit a little south of predictions or destroy their home in Palm Bay. He will not be very south of Palm bay, so the thoughts of his fate, should it instead hit south, is a little much on the emotional, scary side of things.

Laura

9 Ball Girl
09-02-2004, 09:53 AM
You got it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
09-02-2004, 10:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> ...They needed someone to keep a hospital up there with respect to the computer stuff, the servers, and so people on life support and such do not die....<hr /></blockquote>

always a good idea /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Laura, I'll pray for him and Kato and Voodoo and everybody else down there. Don't worry too much, they'll be ok.

landshark77
09-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Sure thing Laura. You got it.

I don't know if this will help or not, but a lady that I have to do business with went down to FL when the last one hit. They were directly hit. Her daughter had to go to the ER, not because of the Hurricane, but for other medical problems. They were in the hospital when the hurricane hit. She said it was the safest place to be. They had no problems saftey wise.

eg8r
09-02-2004, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I sure would appreciate any prayers for him, that this damn thing will not hit him, should it hit a little south of predictions or destroy their home in Palm Bay. <hr /></blockquote> How about we just pray for everyone that will be hit.

eg8r

Rod
09-02-2004, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How about we just pray for everyone that will be hit.

<hr /></blockquote>

Yes that sounds better, this pup is a big one. Good luck to all down there.

Rod

dg-in-centralpa
09-02-2004, 02:03 PM
All people in Florida will be in my thoughts and prayers. This looks like a doozy.

DG

bluewolf
09-02-2004, 05:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> All people in Florida will be in my thoughts and prayers. This looks like a doozy.

DG <hr /></blockquote>

I sure do have every person on ccb in my prayers. I am sincere when I say I truly love everyone here and I hope noone is hurt by this thing.

As hard as it is, my son is doing what I would have done if I was near there.

Laura

mred477
09-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Your son is in my prayers as is everyone down here. I may be heading into it as part of an emergency response team, and if it makes you feel any better, hospitals down here must be built to be able to withstand a category 5. My coworkers have been down in Punta Gorda the last couple of weeks, and they said that despite having no power, the people down there are doing remarkably well.

Will

bluewolf
09-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Now they are saying palm beach. I hope that hospital my son is working in will not be flattened. If there was anyway that I could get there, I would.

Good luck as a emergency response team. If I was thinking clearer last night when I talked to him, I would have left then. I have EMT, rescue squad training and disaster training as a psychologist, but I am too far away. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Laura

Sid_Vicious
09-02-2004, 06:07 PM
BW...That facility is probably safer for him that being in the fleeing traffic outta there,,,I'd rest easy and yes, he's made a good choice in staying imo. Rest easy and be proud, he'll be just fine...sid

bluewolf
09-02-2004, 06:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> BW...That facility is probably safer for him that being in the fleeing traffic outta there,,,I'd rest easy and yes, he's made a good choice in staying imo. Rest easy and be proud, he'll be just fine...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks sid. I have a friend I called who had been in direct hit for a cat 5. He said they build those places there to withstand the cat 5. But, yes, I am proud of him for staying while everybody is running, and I know why he stayed, because I know him. He said it would look good on his resume or some such silly sh*t, but I know the real reason. He is a super sensitive caring person inside a strong man's body. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura