PDA

View Full Version : Purpleheart cue with rock maple shaft

trailboss
09-02-2004, 08:17 PM
Hi everyone! I was thinking of purchasing one online. Any thoughts on using purpleheart? I have heard this wood can change color. I have seen on the web, cues with a dark rich purple color to almost brown in color. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Pelican
09-02-2004, 10:39 PM
I have used some purpleheart (not in cue making) and found that when first cut it is a beautiful deep purple but does brown out in time. Perhaps the sealing process of several coats of finish would prevent the browning. Very dense heavy wood but does not usually exhibit a lot of figure.

Chris Cass
09-02-2004, 10:47 PM
Hi Trailboss,

Purple heart is very pretty wood. It does change color in time but it's not a quick process. I think it's really nice myself. It's definitely a very popular and beautiful wood in a cue.

Regards,

C.C.

drawshot
09-02-2004, 11:23 PM
Hey Trailboss...

I like the look of Purpleheart too. And I was thinking of one as well but the one I was looking at had a Cherrywood forearm. How would this combination be? In terms of hit and balance?

Trailboss were you thinking of a custom cue or a production cue?

Jimmy B
09-03-2004, 02:35 AM
Purpleheart is one of the Best woods for a cue for many reasons, the color does change with light but not once it's got a good finish on it, some are rich purple color and some is a darker brownish maroon color. If it's online then I'd guess you can see it and judge how you like the color.

JB

trailboss
09-03-2004, 07:31 AM
Hi drawshot! purpleheart with a cherrywood forearm would look very nice. purpleheart is heavier than red oak, so I am sure it has more weight than cherrywood. as far as weight and balance, it will be difficult to tell. I usually try out or at least handle the cue before I buy. Sometimes this is imposible if you order online. I would think it is probebly balanced ok, hit without actually shooting with it is impossible to tell.

Rollthecheez
09-03-2004, 09:21 AM
I have a custom made from rosewood with purpleheart points and the two woods seemed to complement each other well - before the finish was applied. The problem I have with it is that after the cue had a finish put on it, the purpleheart points looked pink! I figured it would darken over time to the nice rich purple that I have seen before but the finish is so good and it has kept out the air and ultraviolet light so well that the wood has hardly changed. (It has been almost 5 years) I spent a good amount of money on this cue and it hits great but I rarely use it because of the pink points. I might be too picky though because everyone else thinks it looks great. Just my experience.