PDA

View Full Version : Who Likes To Play Chess?

TomBrooklyn
05-13-2002, 09:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Eddie G Chgo (from Bless The Old Fashioned Pool Hall thread):</font><hr> In Chris's (Billiard Parlor in Chicago)...you sometimes see some chess games being played.<hr></blockquote> I like to play chess alot, but it's not a very popular game in the US, and it's not very common to see it being played, although New York City has a few parks wheres it's played in the summer, and a couple of chess shops and chess clubs around. Ed's observation made me wonder if it's possible that there is a tendency for those who like pool to like chess also. Anyone out there like to play chess?

Cueless Joey
05-13-2002, 09:22 AM
Efren plays almost master level chess. Mark Wilson too is a good chess player. I would bet most Euro players play chess. Chess is actually considered a sport in Euro and Asia.

Rich R.
05-13-2002, 09:31 AM
Tom, having learned chess on the street corner when I was a kid, I am not very good and I don't play very often, but I do enjoy playing when I get the chance. Unfortunately, none of my friends or family play.
Rich R.~~~to keep this thread pool related, one-pocket is very similar to chess.

Doctor_D
05-13-2002, 09:31 AM
Good morning Tom:

I love to play chess, although I have not done so in years. Would love to get back to the board !!!

Dr. D.

cheesemouse
05-13-2002, 09:33 AM
Tom, I think the running of scenarios is similar in chess and pool; especially while on the bench in pool, if you make it your job to run scenarios while watching your opponent you get valuable info and your always up to speed when its your turn.

Rod
05-13-2002, 09:53 AM
Tom, chess and card games were common some years ago in a poolrooom. I liked to play chess, but I had to give it up because I couldn't sleep at night. I would lay there and think of moves or mistakes I made. Fortunately when I play pool, when it's over it is out of mind.

05-13-2002, 09:59 AM
yeah i like to play chess and i have noticed that there are a lot of pool players who also enjoy the game......

heater451
05-13-2002, 10:24 AM
I play, rarely.

BTW, if you go to Games at Yahoo!, I'm sure they have chess as well.

=k=
05-13-2002, 10:25 AM
hello tom.. love the game.. someday if i ever get to retire!! i may get to play more often. i will also play more pinnocle. and of course hope to improve my game.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-13-2002, 11:14 AM
Tom.. I haven't used the "en passe pawn" move in years..

Loved the game when I played it years ago..

Thierry Layani
05-13-2002, 11:39 AM
Chess is a wonderful game that I learned with the great Alain Martel, who is undoubtedly the best chess player among professional pool players. One problem though... it's too addictive.
Thierry Layani

Rich R.
05-13-2002, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Thierry Layani:</font><hr> Chess is a wonderful game that I learned with the great Alain Martel, who is undoubtedly the best chess player among professional pool players. One problem though... it's too addictive.
Thierry Layani <hr></blockquote>
.....and the people on this board don't know anything about activities that are addictive. LMFAO. Rich R.

Ralph S.
05-13-2002, 03:41 PM
Hey Tom, if you are on AOL let me know and we can hook up and play some on the games site.
Ralph S.

05-13-2002, 07:47 PM
I play chess most every week. It's my favorite game next to pool and billiards. I have played a few chess games in a PH.

Jason

05-13-2002, 08:41 PM
My Grandfather taught me to play a million years ago, he was the only one I ever played with though. My boyfriend plays, perhaps I should start again? I do adore Knock Rummy however.

Harold Acosta
05-13-2002, 09:09 PM
I learned how to play during my high school years (1978) and won the school tournament. First prize was a plastic board and chess pieces and I still have it!

Haven't played competitively in years! Altough I have played Chessmaster a couple of times. At entry levels I can beat the machine but not in the advanced levels. Guess I need more practice!

Excellent post, by the way....

Harold

Vince S.
05-13-2002, 11:36 PM
Hey Tom,

I've loved chess for many years. I played chess before I started playing pool. Like you said, it's hard to find people that play. I try to scrape up a game whenever I can. Lack of playing time, plus the lack of higher rated opponents has dwindled my game down to mush over the years. Unfortunately I never had the time to seek out a local chess club. The occaisional game that I do play now, seems to be enough to satisfy me.

Vince S.

05-14-2002, 01:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Anyone out there like to play chess? <hr></blockquote>

Me Me Me!!

Patrick
05-14-2002, 08:22 AM
What is his chess rating?

Patrick

#### leonard
05-14-2002, 08:59 AM
When I was managing poolrooms in the 60s I was into chess heavily. I would play 6 people at a time not 6 games but one game against 6 people. It made for a great learning experience. Rosser Reeves was going to have me over to the Manhattan Chess Club but it never took place. I quit that about the same time I stopped playing pool. When I was being rehabilitated for my torn rotator cuff my therapist was a Russian immigrant. During one session I asked him if he played chess of course was his answer. He won the first game we played but the second game he was totally surprised when I checkmated him from a losing position. After that our sessions would end with a chess game while I would move the chess pieces with a 10 lb weight in my hand.####

Thierry Layani
05-14-2002, 01:35 PM
About 2000.

Thierry Layani

Kato
05-15-2002, 09:44 AM
I enjoy the game greatly though I've only played a few times in the last 10 years. Much like my pool game I'm strictly average.

Kato

Doctor_D
05-15-2002, 10:03 AM
Good afternoon:

For those in the Metro NYC area, who would be interested in playing some serious chess, I would love to get the rust off my game.

Dr. D.

TomBrooklyn
10-03-2002, 02:27 AM
There was more chess playing pool players that responded than I would have imagined. Thanks for some of the offers to play. I had actually not played since about February, but I just started getting back into it. I renewed my account at chessclub.com which was sitting there waiting for me. Maybe we can hook up for some internet or OTB games if I can get a little more organized with my time.

On the world chess front, Mindscape's newly released Chessmaster 9000 just beat US Champion Grand Master Larry Christianson last weekend in a four match tourament. Playing two world class games a day is tiring for a human although although ChessMaster showed no signs of fatigue.

Deep Blue has been deep sixed by IBM as they prefer to sit on their one and only win over a human World Champion and refuse to bring the one time wonder out for a rematch.

<font color=red>MAN HAS WAITED FIVE LONG YEARS FOR REVENGE. NOW THE TIME HAS COME. ON THURSDAY, WORLD CHAMPION VLADIMIR KRAMNIK WILL FACE THE WORLDS MOST POWERFUL CHESS PROGRAM, DEEP FRITZ, WHERE ONE MILLION DOLLARS AND HUMAN DIGNITY ARE THE PRIZES.</font color=red>

Today was the opening ceremony of this greatest man against machine chess battle to ever to take place, being touted as the The Brains-In-Bahrain Tournament. The machine is a Pentium Class Computer with 8 cpus running a specially prepared version of chess program Fritz. The man is Kramnik, who beat Kasparov for the right to play Fritz in the million dollar challenge.

His Majesty King Hamed bin Isa Al Khalifa of the peaceful archipelago of Bahrain invites you to watch the games at www.brainsinbahrain.com (http://www.brainsinbahrain.com)

10-03-2002, 03:14 AM
Yes, Tom, I play chess. In fact, it's my first love, even over pool (don't stone me).

I have a USCF rating of 1554 from 1994, the last time I played in a tournament. That's Class C, and not that good in my opinion. I've been studying a lot and plan to play in many more tournaments when I retire in a couple of years.

I'm so crazy about chess that I doubled my chess book collection from 200 to just over 400 books through eBay. Have I read them all? Hardly, but I really love playing over the games of the grandmasters, particularly from the past.

I haven't played over the Internet, except correspondence chess at a move a day. I don't care for speed chess, preferring tournament time limits of 40 moves in 90 minutes or preferably 40 moves in 2 hours.

It doesn't surprise me that so many people enjoy chess and pool since they are both geometrical, require you to think ahead and require tactical execution as well as strategic planning, particularly One-Pocket, which sometimes goes by the name Chess Pool.

By the way, Steve Davis, the champion snooker player, plays chess, and some of the top American chess players play pool, though not very well.

I guess that does it for me at 3:10 A.M. mountain time.

Best,
Bob

P.S. Prediction: Kramnik will beat Deep Fritz, but it will be close.

jjinfla
10-03-2002, 05:23 AM
I have "Sensory Chess Challenger 9" that must be 20 years old and still works. Over the years I have never beaten it at level "1". Very discouraging. Then last month I was reading the manual (a novel idea) and lo and behold it says that if you select level 1 you must also press E5 otherwise the board will play at level 5 or higher. Now I am debating whether I want to try it at the real level "1". Jake

socrates
10-03-2002, 07:05 AM
Chess and Pool were huge academic distractions in my college years.
I do not get the opportunity to play much chess anymore but from time to time will enter a local tournament. By the way the annual Chess Festival is held here in June in Davenport, Iowa each year. Its becoming quite an event.

I believe the sport of pool needs to adopt a rating system for competitive play similar to chess. This rating system and how it might apply to pool was in an article in one of the last two months issues of billiards digest.

10-03-2002, 01:01 PM
What were Ed's observations. This isn't a result of Ronnie Alcano and Tim Murray playing chess down at the open is it?
Either way it was my board they were using.
Always have it in the car. Just in case.
For those who want to compete. P-K4...or for the people who don't understand that....E2-E4!

10-04-2002, 01:06 AM
Hey, who says you get white?

TomBrooklyn
10-04-2002, 01:25 AM
Let him have white. 1...Nf6 wins by force.

Ludba
10-04-2002, 05:12 AM
Tom,
I love chess. I used to play constantly.

There is definitely a correlation between chess and pool. Certainly visual-spatial intelligence is required for playing well and the visual-spatial ability improves as a result of playing.

10-04-2002, 10:46 AM
Oh, hello again Mr. Alekhine. Promoting your own opening again, eh? ... and winning by force? I knew you had an ego, but ... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

10-04-2002, 02:52 PM
I live in NYC, I would be willing to play some serious chess, I have no board or clock, though.

socrates
10-04-2002, 04:41 PM
A couple of lines from the movie searching for Bobby Fischer can also relate to pool.

Don't move until you see it. Pool - Don't shoot until you see it.

What is chess? (Pool)

"Those who play it occasionaly or don't play at all dismiss it as a game. Many who play it competively or devote their lives to it insist that its a science. Its neither - Bobby Fischer got under it all and found at its very center - Art"

Barbara
10-04-2002, 04:50 PM
God, I love that movie!! For the fact that it shows how a parent got tempered in his emotions of pushing a child too much and how a child dealt with performing under the pressure of competition and what his natural gift really meant to him and how he related to this world.

For me, it's a watcher every time it comes on the tube.

Barbara~~~"I'm offering you a draw. We can share the title."

10-04-2002, 05:27 PM
Attacking my king pawn already?
2.P-K5 HA! Get that horse out of my face!
Your losing valuable TEMPI!