PDA

View Full Version : jump-break sledgehammer...

tito
09-03-2004, 09:18 AM
Hi to all.

I would like to know what do you think about the jump-break cue sledgehammer. I know that Souquet and janette lee use that cue.

Im going to purchase the next month and I would like to know your opinion about it, thanks for all,tt.

poolshoota74
09-03-2004, 03:27 PM
I've had a chance to shoot with one and it is the next thing on my wish list. Great break and even better at jumping.

pooltchr
09-04-2004, 09:54 AM
If you have the chance, compare it with the new Fury jump/break. You might change your mind.

Sid_Vicious
09-04-2004, 10:09 AM
shoota74...how does the jump section compare to the dedicated(not JB)Bungee JC? sid

recoveryjones
09-04-2004, 11:23 AM
I know an A+ player in our pool hall who had a Sledgehammer break/jump cue and traded it even up for a Predator break cue.He told me he likes the Predator break cue much better than the Sledgehammer.Now he needs to go buy a jump cue...LOL.

Break cues like playing cues are personal, however, so if you've tried the Sledgehammer and liked the results,by all means get one.RJ

woody_968
09-04-2004, 11:49 AM
I have never tried a sledgehammer so keep in take this for what it is worth /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

From what I have heard the sledgehammer is made in china, then shipped to the usa without a wrap, the cue is then wrapped in the US and promoted as a custom. This is total hear say so if someone knows different please correct me. If this is correct I may question if it is worth the price.

I have a lucasi jump cue (which is great) so the jump/break combination wasnt a plus for me.

I just purchased (yesterday) a Spark Break cue. I beleive it is made or promoted by J&J. I will post a review after I have had a few days breaking with it, but my first impretions are good. It comes with 3 weight bolts so that you can adjust it to different weights. This was a big draw for me as I wanted to test different weights to see what works best. It cost me $95 and so far I am happy with it.

Lucasi - $50
Spark - $95

So I have less than $150 in my break/jump combination. And I dont have to unscrew my break cue to do a jump shot.

MadisonBob
09-04-2004, 04:43 PM
tito how are you ? in reply to the slege hammer i went down to mikes shop a couple of month,s ago and seen how they make these cues. they seem to do a good job on them. i think most of the higher end sledge hammers are made in shop on the lower end i don,t know i told mike about a new material that,s white in color instead of the brown. last time i spoke with him he was looking to go with this material i used these cues with good results i,ve been using this material on my jump breaks for some time with great results i hope this help on your decision madison bob

drawshot
09-04-2004, 05:53 PM
I have a Sledgehammer, it breaks nicely, you have to realy keep your mind on controlling the cue ball as it is a little harder than other cues with normal tips.

Jumping it is excellent... you can actually get draw on some jumps.

I haven't heard that they are made overseas... I beleive they are still made in Mike Gulassy's (sp?)pro shop USA.

woody_968
09-05-2004, 06:30 AM
Drawshot, thanks for the correction, the last thing I want to do is put out the wrong info.

Woody

Rich R.
09-05-2004, 07:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>how does the jump section compare to the dedicated(not JB)Bungee JC? sid <hr /></blockquote>
Sid, I think it jumps better than the Bungee.
I am no jumping expert, but I have tried both, so take this as JMHO.

Sid_Vicious
09-05-2004, 08:20 AM
Thanks, I'll look for a local who may have one and try it...sid

onepocketchump
09-05-2004, 11:36 AM
In head to head tests at the 2000 US Open and the 2003 APA the Bunjee Jumper and the Sledgehammer were found to be about equal in jumping performance. It was actually discovered that the taper and tip diameter affected jumping performance signifigantly. A Sledgehammer with a 12mm tip performed signifigantly worse than a stock Bunjee Jumper. The Sledgehammer cues with 13mm tips performed about the same as stock Bunjee Jumpers.

You may want to check out the Bunjee Blasters if you are looking for a jump/break cue. This cue has been said to have better breaking properties than the Sledgehammer by top notch regional players. I find them to be about equal in performance personally. Bunjee stuff is at www.bunjeebilliards.com (http://www.bunjeebilliards.com)

John

tito
09-06-2004, 07:03 AM
Really thanks for all your answers, I dont worry about the jump because I have got the bumjee cue, so when I get the sledgehammer Ill have two jumpers cues.

I was talking with Ralf Souquet, he told me that hes really happy with the sledgehammer, that have a really nice break, so I believe him, jejejeje.

well again thanks for all, when I write here its seems like Im in my house, really happy with our members of this forum, very nice place.

66goat
09-06-2004, 08:07 AM
I also prefer the Bunjee, but as with any other cue it's all in how you swing you stick and what feels comfortable to you. You can check them out at the link below and see what you think.

Bunjee Jumpers - click here (http://www.nineintheside.com/index.html?target=dept_51.html&amp;lang=en-us)

Fred Agnir
09-06-2004, 01:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> I have never tried a sledgehammer so keep in take this for what it is worth /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

From what I have heard the sledgehammer is made in china,
<hr /></blockquote>That's a dangerous post, if I've ever read one. I think the Sledgehammer is one of the best quality j/b cue I've had the pleasure of using.

I've never heard anyone even hint that anyone other than Mike Gulyassy is building them. Are you sure you aren't talking about another great jump cue?

Fred

woody_968
09-06-2004, 02:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>That's a dangerous post, if I've ever read one. I think the Sledgehammer is one of the best quality j/b cue I've had the pleasure of using.

I've never heard anyone even hint that anyone other than Mike Gulyassy is building them. Are you sure you aren't talking about another great jump cue?

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Sorry if it was a dangerous post, not trying to offend anyone, especially not Mike. It was the Sledgehammer that I heard this about and I just want to know if its true or not. Thats why I asked to be corrected if I have bad information. The person that told me this is a dealer of high end cues.

I have considered/am considering one after I know for sure what weight cue I want for a break cue. I bought a cheap one so I could adjust the weights and get some idea of what I like.

Thanks for your input about the Sledgehammer. I figured someone on here would know Mike and be able to give me the skinny on this story. I appologise to Mike if that info was wrong.