PDA

View Full Version : A very large cactus about to fall on my car

Kato
09-04-2004, 08:37 AM
Frances is starting to push a few things around.

Actually I just moved my car and I'm happy it's coming down because I want to cut a piece off the top to decorate my front door.

Kato~~~will replant the cactus.

9 Ball Girl
09-04-2004, 10:14 AM
Don't poke yourself! See you on Wednesday! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rod
09-04-2004, 01:02 PM
What kind of cacti? Those things can easily weigh over a ton. Many have a short life after a replant.

SPetty
09-04-2004, 03:10 PM
http://www.inet-link.com/downloads/cactusfell.jpg /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Karatemom
09-04-2004, 03:15 PM
The tag on that picture must be wrong, that is Kato's car, hahahahaha.

Heide ~ hoping all is and will be ok with Kato and Voodoo

Barbara
09-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Ooooouuucccchhhh!!!!

Dang! That's one big sucka!!

Barbara

Rod
09-04-2004, 03:40 PM
Wow, that car never had a chance, one real heavy cactus. That thing could way over three or 4 tons. Remember the movie Christine when that guy was squashing it with a front loader? It reminds me of that, broke its rear feet. LOL

They say it takes over a hundred years for an arm to grow. I have a pic somewhere where an arm broke off and fell on the roof of my brothers truck. It did a number, caved it in pretty good. I'll bet it was a replanted one before it fell over. I had an 18 footer, 4 arms at my old house.

Rod

Barbara
09-04-2004, 03:43 PM
Rod,

Could you explain the root ball structures of those cacti? As I understand it, they're not deep. No cactus root balls really are, just want to know how deep those go.

Thanks,

Barbara

Rod
09-04-2004, 04:14 PM
Barbara,

Why yes, I can to a degree. They have a short tap root for support and many short firm roots. However they have lots of smaller roots that are very long and help support the plant. Once disturbed there life span is questionable. I think but I don't know for sure, it's the cutting of those thousands (I don't know how many exactly) of roots that stunt the plant. They may recover to a fair degree or not.

Not very technical, huh? LOL

nhp
09-04-2004, 06:00 PM
Rod, isn't there a fruit that grows on cacti that people can eat?

SPetty
09-04-2004, 06:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> Rod, isn't there a fruit that grows on cacti that people can eat? <hr /></blockquote>Well, I'm not Rod, but I know that the prickly pear cactus
http://www.big.bend.national-park.com/pear.jpg
produces a fruit you can eat. You can also eat the cactus itself.

Rod
09-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Yes there is but I've never tried it. I would imagine some have but I'm not that adventurous. Who knows, might be good stuff.

Rod

Rod
09-04-2004, 06:39 PM
All you want to know about Saguaro Cactus but forgot to ask. LOL Saguaro (http://helios.bto.ed.ac.uk/bto/desbiome/saguaro.htm)
I don't know as it's the best reference. SPetty I hate those Prickly Pear. Well not hate but dislike. They have the bald specie also. There are some around here that are huge. If I get stuck in the desert I might try one though.

~~rod, is stuck in the desert

Rich R.
09-05-2004, 04:28 PM
I just spoke to Kato on the phone. He is doing just fine and he and his parents had only minimal damage to their properties. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Although others were not quite so fortunate, Kato never lost electricity or his cable television, however, he did lose his internet connection. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

All in all, I think he did alright and he is looking forward to going to the Open, in a couple of days. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Karatemom
09-05-2004, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the update, Rich. Will he be able to make it up to the Open with all the damage in his path? Sure happy he's ok. Now I hear they should be keeping an eye out to the east yet again! 'Cept this time, they'll be in VA and trying to get home.

Heide

CarolNYC
09-05-2004, 05:30 PM
Great news Rich!!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

landshark77
09-05-2004, 07:10 PM
Glad he is doing well, hope everyone else who lives down there also made it through Ok.

Rich R.
09-07-2004, 03:19 AM
Heide, when I spoke to him, he was still planning on leaving for the Open on Wednesday morning, as scheduled. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Me too! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
09-07-2004, 09:38 AM
I spoke to R.J. on Monday morning while I was waiting for my connection to Norfolk and he's definitely flying out on Wednesday morning. Can't wait to see my honey!!!