PDA

View Full Version : Self-criticism in Arab media follows school siege

highsea
09-04-2004, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Al-Arabiya GM: Muslims are main perpetrators of terrorism.

CAIRO, Egypt - Muslims worldwide are the main perpetrators of terrorism, a humiliating and painful truth that must be acknowledged, a prominent Arab writer and television executive wrote Saturday, as Middle East media and officials expressed horror at the bloody rebel siege of a Russian school.

Unusually forthright self-criticism followed the end of the hostage crisis, along with warnings that such actions inflict more damage to the image of Islam than all its enemies could hope. Arab leaders and Muslim clerics denounced the school seizure as unjustifiable and expressed their sympathy.

“Our terrorist sons are an end-product of our corrupted culture,” Abdulrahman al-Rashed, general manager of Al-Arabiya television wrote in his daily column published in the pan-Arab Asharq Al-Awsat newspaper. It ran under the headline, “The Painful Truth: All the World Terrorists are Muslims!”

'Humiliating, painful' picture
Al-Rashed ran through a list of recent attacks by Islamic extremist groups — in Russia, Iraq, Sudan, Saudi Arabia and Yemen — many of which are influenced by the ideology of Osama Bin Laden, the Saudi-born leader of the al-Qaida terror network.

“Most perpetrators of suicide operations in buses, schools and residential buildings around the world for the past 10 years have been Muslims,” he wrote. Muslims will be unable to cleanse their image unless “we admit the scandalous facts,” rather than offer condemnations or justifications.

“What is the guilt of those children? Why should they be responsible for your conflict with the government?” Egypt’s top Muslim cleric, Grand Sheik Mohammed Sayed Tantawi, was quoted as saying during a Friday sermon in Banha, 30 miles north of Cairo.

“You are taking Islam as a cover and it is a deceptive cover; those who carry out the kidnappings are criminals, not Muslims,” Tantawi, who heads Al-Azhar University, the highest authority in the Sunni Islamic world, was quoted by Egypt’s Middle East News agency as saying.<hr /></blockquote>
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5912071/

My heart goes out to the Russians. This is a horrible thing to happen.

It is very unusual for an Arab paper to make such a frank statement about their role in International Terrorism. I hope this signals a beginning of a change of attitude in the Arab world towards this problem.

-CM

mred477
09-04-2004, 09:19 PM
It's a step in the right direction. I just wonder where this criticism was when Muslims were attacking the U.S. It's also interesting that this is the first time that I've seen an article address the Russian situation as being perpetrated by Muslims. Most accounts call them "Chechnyan rebels" or "armed terrorists" instead. Until our PC culture realizes that criticizing a group of people when there is a legitimate reason to do so isn't a form of racism, we're going to be in trouble.

Will

Ross
09-05-2004, 12:24 AM
The Chechen rebels want to set up a fundamentalist Islamic state, a la Taliban. That is part of the reason Putin has no bargaining chips with them.

I am liberal and have no problem criticising fundamentalist (code for "I know the Truth and you WILL live by my Truth") religions of all stripes - Islamic, Christian, Jewish, Catholic, Zell Millerites, whatever. Currently Islamic fundamentalists are the worst - they don't just demonize those who disagree with them - they kill them and their children. They still live in the dark ages.

I hope Islamic moderates will continue to speak up and condemn those that kill in the name of Islam.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-07-2004, 05:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...It is very unusual for an Arab paper to make such a frank statement about their role in International Terrorism. I hope this signals a beginning of a change of attitude in the Arab world towards this problem.

-CM <hr /></blockquote>

Finally. This has been too long in coming. I'm sure some cleric will issue a fatwah against this writer though (Is that the right word?)

In the meantime, re: the Russian slaughter, chalk another one up for the "Religion of Peace" /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif