PDA

View Full Version : Cool video

highsea
09-04-2004, 05:38 PM
Reaching the Sound Barrier, Breaking the Sound Barrier

Flying at Transonic Speeds Varying Near and At the Speed of Sound (Supersonic) Can Generate Impressive Condensation Clouds Caused by the Prandtl-Glauert Singularity.

F-14 transonic condensation (http://www.galleryoffluidmechanics.com/conden/f14.mpeg)

-CM

Rod
09-04-2004, 06:41 PM
pretty cool, he's trucking

LivinGr8
09-12-2004, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the video. I remember in 1969, when the B-52 bombers would leave Barksdale AFB, they would reach the speed of sound and a giant "BOOM" would occur. I wonder if any videos are available of one of those "giant birds", as with this one? That might also be a sight to see! Thanks Again!

highsea
09-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Well, a B-52's top speed is mach 0.86, so I don't think it was a sonic boom you were hearing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

But they are very noisy, expesially on takeoff, with all 8 engines roaring away.

There's a story, I don't know how true, but they say a pilot of a single engine fighter was 2nd. in the pattern behind a B-52. The pilot called the controller, and requested a priority landing because his engine was malfunctioning. The controller came back, and said no, the plane in front of him was coming in with one engine dead, he would have to wait his turn.

There was a pause, and a voice came over the radio..."ahhh. the dreaded 7-engine approach."

-CM

Barbara
09-12-2004, 04:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr>
There's a story, I don't know how true, but they say a pilot of a single engine fighter was 2nd. in the pattern behind a B-52. The pilot called the controller, and requested a priority landing because his engine was malfunctioning. The controller came back, and said no, the plane in front of him was coming in with one engine dead, he would have to wait his turn.

There was a pause, and a voice came over the radio..."ahhh. the dreaded 7-engine approach."

-CM <hr /></blockquote>

Hahahahaha!!! I've read that one in an email with a bunch of other air plane stories. I would be surprised if it wasn't true. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Barbara