PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

A_LOTA_NOTA
09-04-2004, 08:12 PM
I had a cue made by a local cue maker & when I went to pick it up he offered to try & sale my old cue for me. He had my cue for about 9 months when I decided to call him so I could get it back in order to try & sale it myself. When I called him he informed me my cue had been stolen along with a lot of other stuff. He has no insurance so he hasn't collected anything from my loss. Granted it was only a old "D" series McDermott & only blue booked at about $300. So do I just let it go, or ask for some sort of reimbursement? At first I thought "it wasn't his fault" but the more I think about it I think he should be responsible for any merchandise he has in his possession.....

qstroker2004
09-04-2004, 08:40 PM
If I borrowed a cue from you and then lost it, or had it stolen from me, I would buy you a new one. I don't see things any differently here. Maybe he was negligent in how he kept his inventory. His neglect could have resulted in your loss...not very fair. In any event, I think he owes you a new D series McD, or at least the going rate for a used one. Too bad he's not man enough to offer it to you.

dwhite

cueball1950
09-04-2004, 08:55 PM
just tell him you want the current value for the cue or you will take him to court. regardless how it went missing he is responsible and should have called you right off and told you it was gone.... did it have any fancy inlays in it that he could have used in another cue.... just a thought..............................mike

tateuts
09-04-2004, 09:52 PM
He should have called you to tell you of the loss. To wait for you to call was a faux pas.

Because of the small dollar amount, I would write it off and find a new cue maker.

Chris

Jimmy B
09-05-2004, 03:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> just tell him you want the current value for the cue or you will take him to court. mike <hr /></blockquote>
I think Mike's response is a bit harsh and just what's wrong with this country. I can't stand courts and lawyers and suing people, I'd much rather kick their ass LOL. But seriously I wouldn't sue unless it was a last resort. I think 2 things first you should find out why he didn't tell you, if he claims that he forgot he even had it, or just didn't realize it I'd let him slide, I mean he has had a lot to worry about and maybe stuff that wasn't his slipped his mind. Also if the guy has been a nice guy and straight with you before I'd always try to give him the benefit of the doubt. Now on to the solution, I say have him make you a cue (he is a cuemaker right?) that is worth somewhere in the same neighborhood as your stolen cue, this way you can sell it and get the money back, chances are if he's a straight up guy he'll make you more cue then the $300 and you can make out. If he's a dick, beat his ass or take the sissy way out and take him to court.

JB

Chris Cass
09-05-2004, 04:32 AM
Sorry Nota,

You deserve at least restitution for your loss. It was and still is your cueman's responsibility to have the cue protected in his possesion. I think you should give him the chance to stand up and although the situation isn't much better for him. You should give him your thoughts and give him time to come up with a plan.

I think it'd be to your advantage to have him make you a cue simular in value. This will same him money and give him the piece of mind that he's doing a good thing for business. I wouldn't throw words around like suing and court. That might be fine for a last resort but even then, I'd just do it and not say it.

Chances are he took a big loss himself and a $300. cue isn't his biggest headache but, I'd try talking to him. You just can't take a loss like that. He should understand and come up with something. Just tell him how you feel and your not looking to hurt him, just get a replacement of your personal property.

I wish you luck but just don't blow it off and don't do business with him. Give him the chance to redeem the situation and keep a customer.

Regards,

C.C.

woody_968
09-05-2004, 06:26 AM
I think Jimmy is on the right track here (excpet for the a#% kicking thing /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif )

Give him a chance, let him know what you are thinking and see how he responds.

A_LOTA_NOTA
09-05-2004, 07:21 AM
Thanks for everyone's reply's. I have asked him about building me a new cue, but not to replace the one I lost. I just asking thinking he would come up with the replacement idea himself. His cheapest cue with a steel joint &amp; wrap (no points) starts out at $900. He said I had already bought two cues from him so he would sale me one for $700, never mentioning the one he lost of mine. But I know he has been busy remaking cue's for other people. But they were cues he made the first time, I think mine was the only one that lost a cue that wasn't made by him.

I guess I will just have to come out &amp; ask him if we can work a deal to replace the one that got stolen.

Thanks again.

GeorgeV
09-05-2004, 10:15 AM
It sounds like you trust the guy, but I'm suspicious of his failure to inform you of the theft (waited for you to come to him, maybe hoping you'd disappear) or to offer to compensate you in some way. That would be the normal thing to do. If he's not willing to make you a replacement cue or compensate you in some other way, I'd question his story. Ask to see the police report. Insurance or not, given the value of his loss during the theft -- easily over $10,000 -- he would have reported it to the police. If he can't do that, take him to Judge Judy!

A_LOTA_NOTA
09-05-2004, 12:44 PM
I think he was hopping he would get it back before I found out. He was able to get some of the stolen stuff back, but very little. Maybe that is why he is stalling with the replacement. I think he is still hopeful that he will get it back. It has been about three months &amp; I'm ready for the replacement now.

Jimmy B
09-05-2004, 02:41 PM
Give us a name or a state at least.

JB

A_LOTA_NOTA
09-05-2004, 04:21 PM
Not just yet.... I'm not trying to have the guy ran over with a bus. Let me give him a chance to make it right, If he doesn't then everyone will know who he is. I should probably let everyone know even if he does make it right. That way I'm not just giving bad publicity.

Jimmy B
09-05-2004, 05:32 PM
LOL That doesn't sound like him, he's always been a stand up guy IMO give him some time.

JB

A_LOTA_NOTA
09-05-2004, 07:22 PM
Doesn't sound like who.... I never posted a name!!!

Jimmy B
09-06-2004, 01:52 AM
opps I thought your post was a clue, sorry, my bad.
Did anyone else read what I did???

Never assume
JB

trailboss
09-06-2004, 07:09 AM
Yep, I read that in as well. Your correct in that this cuemaker is an A-1 stand up guy! I have talked with him several times. If I had a bunch of other peoples cues stolen from my business, I don,t know what I would do. Usually insurance only covers your personal items and not anyone elses property. A sticky situation for sure!

A_LOTA_NOTA
09-06-2004, 07:53 AM
Sorry everyone thinks I'm giving hints. As far as I know I never said anything that would identify the guy.

Who do you think it is?