PDA

View Full Version : VALLEY FORGE EXPO CUES????

BLACKHEART
09-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Help me out. I've been graciously invited to share a booth, at the VALLEY FORGE EXPO. It's kind of late for me, to make a lot of Qs of all price ranges. What price range cues are you looking to buy, at a retail show like this. In other words how much are you REALISTICALLY willing to spend at this show. THANKS...JER

ragin1
09-04-2004, 09:52 PM
I'd go 700 on a dark cocobola and leather wrap.

Chris Cass
09-04-2004, 10:18 PM
JER,

I would suggest you have a price range Starting from $400. There's a lot of money spent there at VF and bring as many as you can. Many will discount everything so be prepared to be competitive. It's the place every pool player needs to spend their hard earned money. I just loved it myself.

I have a friend or aquaintence that has a booth there also. He sold $30,000 to $40,000. just for the week. He worked many hrs and many sales proved to be worth it. If I do go, I'll be happy to send anyone your way. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kids with more money I ever seen at that age. I kicked myself for not having a couple G myself. There's so much money to be made. It's great.

Regards,

C.C.

haywood
09-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Jer,
Something to keep in mind is that some people go there just to get a feel for a cuemaker and what sort of styles he uses in his\her cues in an effort to determine a future purchase. With that in mind, make sure to take plenty of business cards as the expo is a golden opportunity to advertise your wares. As far as prices ranges go, I saw people looking for $300 "plain jane" cues all the way up to who knows what. If I were in your shoes, I'd put together something that covers a lot of range of price instead of just doing 10-20 cues in the 600-700 range. What I mean here is maybe do a couple of sneaky-petes, a couple of mid-range cues, and some of your higher end stuff. Your not just gonna be there to sell what you cues you bring, but you are also gonna have a great opportunity to make future sales as well. Anyways, that's my $.02 worth /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Jimmy B
09-04-2004, 10:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote haywood:</font><hr> Jer,
Something to keep in mind is that some people go there just to get a feel for a cuemaker and what sort of styles he uses in his\her cues in an effort to determine a future purchase. With that in mind, make sure to take plenty of business cards as the expo is a golden opportunity to advertise your wares. As far as prices ranges go, I saw people looking for $300 "plain jane" cues all the way up to who knows what. If I were in your shoes, I'd put together something that covers a lot of range of price instead of just doing 10-20 cues in the 600-700 range. What I mean here is maybe do a couple of sneaky-petes, a couple of mid-range cues, and some of your higher end stuff. Your not just gonna be there to sell what you cues you bring, but you are also gonna have a great opportunity to make future sales as well. Anyways, that's my $.02 worth /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Great post, I agree 100% not everyone is buying some are shopping, I think you need to have some cues that show off what you do, and don't 1/2 ass anything to get it done quick someone who is looking for something down the line may be turned off. I'd suggest you bring a wide range and maybe even some pictures of what you are capable of doing. Make a good impression and let people hit with your cues so they can compare them with every other cue they've tried. Make a good cue at a good price and put it out there, let the chips fall where they may. Good luck.

JB

BLACKHEART
09-04-2004, 11:08 PM
One of the things that are appealing to me, about this situation, is that there will be a table in the booth. I will definitely have a variety of price ranges,but I think that MOST people will gravitate to HIGHER END Qs,but BUY mid-lower end Qs...JER

cueball1950
09-04-2004, 11:55 PM
Hi Jer. I cannot add to what the others have said cuz it is all sound advice. But i will add this. Since you are sponsoring Carol Clark, i don't think it would hurt to have her there also with a list of her accomplishments as well.This would be a great marketing tool. This way she can be your ambassador and can answer some questions for the lady buyers.. And maybe the men. heck, if Carol throws in a hug with a sale, you would definately sell out......mike

BLACKHEART
09-05-2004, 12:02 AM
Carol is planning to be in the booth...JER

haywood
09-05-2004, 12:31 AM
Having Carol there will be a great reason for people to stop by. If I read your first post right and you are going to have a table right there at your booth, you might want to offer up a challenge sort of thing where people can play a rack with Carol, but they have to use one of your cues. Maybe have some unfinished cues there at various stages of completion on display to show folks what is possible when you are constructing for them. You might also want to have some sort of a drawing for something to where you get names, address, and e-mail's from customer's so you can follow up with them after the show. Even it's a simple e-mail going out to them thanking them for stopping by would give you a leg up on some of your competetion. Just some ideas.

I think you are right on the money about the high end cues being a hook and people looking to buy mid-range priced products. From the pictures I have seen of your cues, you'll have plenty of folks checking you out /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SPetty
09-05-2004, 06:39 AM
I was under the impression that Carol works the Expo, so she might not have a lot of "spare" time.

I was under the impression that you didn't need more sales - that you have enough orders in backlog and that's why you don't have a web site.

What if all your cues sell the first day? If you can only bring a few cues, and if someone buys them, maybe you can ask that they wait until the last day to pick up the cue so that you can continue to have cues handy for folks to see.

The Expo is where people go to shop and buy cues. I was there once and it was great!

Rich R.
09-05-2004, 07:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I was under the impression that Carol works the Expo, so she might not have a lot of "spare" time.

<font color="blue">The WPBA had a tournament at the same time as the 2004 Expo. Carol came to the Expo, only after getting knocked out of the WPBA tournament. Jer may want to check the WPBA tournament schedule. </font color>

I was under the impression that you didn't need more sales - that you have enough orders in backlog and that's why you don't have a web site.
<font color="blue">I would guess that Jer is looking forward to making the cue business, a full-time profession, some day. More business is always good. </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What if all your cues sell the first day? If you can only bring a few cues, and if someone buys them, maybe you can ask that they wait until the last day to pick up the cue so that you can continue to have cues handy for folks to see.
<font color="blue">I know a very prominent cue maker, who in 2003, sold every cue he had, from his hotel room, before the Expo opened. His booth was empty, except for a banner with his name on it, for the entire show. All cue makers should be so lucky. His cues were not cheap.

As far as asking people not to take their cues, IMHO, that will not work. Many people attend the Expo, for only one day. For those staying the entire weekend, once they buy something, I think they want to take it with them. I know I would. </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The Expo is where people go to shop and buy cues. I was there once and it was great! <hr /></blockquote>
<font color="blue">The Expo is one of the best pool events in the country. I am a repeat visitor and I will be stopping at Blackheart's booth, especially if Carol is there. </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
09-05-2004, 08:09 AM
She does as long as it's not the same weekend as a WPBA event. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Barbara

BLACKHEART
09-05-2004, 08:22 AM
Hi SPETTY; I don't know how much time Carol will actually spend at the booth, but I'm sure she will try to drop by from time to time. If nothing else, just to meet all of her "FANS". As for the "back log", since I was working a full time job, besides making Qs,I could only make a certain number of Qs a year. Now that I'm retired, I will have more time to explore new designs &amp; make a few more Qs than before. As for the question about selling out in the 1st day..... I don't see that as a bad thing. I will have a few Qs, that are not for sale &amp; are just a representation of my work. I am also supplying a few Qs, for the public to use at the pool table, in the booth. This is the 1st time I have ever exhibited at a show. The opportunity happened quit unexpectedly &amp; I am eager to try it. It is on short notice,but I am happy just to get this chance. One of the things that I'm hopeing for is to expose my work to the east coast where I have not sold a lot of cues....JER

dg-in-centralpa
09-05-2004, 09:58 AM
JER - all the previous posts are good. One thing you may want to do, is to have a photo album of cues and styles you've made, so people have a chance to see some of your work. Taking orders at the show is a definite plus. You will find many people looking to buy wholesale. This can be very profitable for you as well. Good Luck and hope to see you in the spring. This is the show of all shows. Prices range from low end $300 - max of five to six digits. This is not uncommon for people to buy at the high end.

DGbeen at the show for 7-8 years

dg-in-centralpa
09-05-2004, 10:01 AM
One thing I forgot, since there will be a table in your booth, have a cue as a demonstrator. People unfamiliar with you will want to try one out.

DG

Scott Lee
09-05-2004, 10:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <font color="blue">I know a very prominent cue maker, who in 2003, sold every cue he had, from his hotel room, before the Expo opened. His booth was empty, except for a banner with his name on it, for the entire show. All cue makers should be so lucky. His cues were not cheap.

<hr /></blockquote>

Rich...Allen has a strict policy for vendors. They MUST be in their booth the entire weekend (may not close early, etc.) or they get fined $1000. Obviously if your cuemaker sold out early, he paid the fine, and didn't mind, since he made a ton of money. Allen hates to see empty booths at his event.

Scott Lee

Rich R.
09-05-2004, 11:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> Now that I'm retired, <hr /></blockquote>
Congratulations Jer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
09-05-2004, 11:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr>Rich...Allen has a strict policy for vendors. They MUST be in their booth the entire weekend (may not close early, etc.) or they get fined $1000. Obviously if your cuemaker sold out early, he paid the fine, and didn't mind, since he made a ton of money. Allen hates to see empty booths at his event. <hr /></blockquote>
Scott, I don't know Allen's policy and I don't know if the cue maker paid any fine. I will not comment about those issues. The only thing I know for sure is that I did not see anyone in his booth for that whole weekend. Take that for what it's worth.

Thinking back, it may have been 2002 and not 2003. My memory isn't what it used to be, and it was never very good. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

BTW, although I don't know for sure, my guess is that you are correct and he did make a ton of money. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Barbara
09-05-2004, 02:53 PM
JER,

Congrats on getting your cues to the Expo!! Another cuemaker is always welcome!! Will you be in the ACA area or not? At night, the ACA area is closed off and secured so you don't have to cart all your cues up to your room every night. In the open Expo area, we do have night watchmen walking around and protecting the booths, but there's only so much that can be protected, so these vendors have to pack up their stuff to secure it.

You've gotten great advice from a bunch of Expo-goers, I really can't add more except that having a photo album of your high-end cues (sold, even) would be great and showing a cue in construction would benefit some of those technically-oriented peoples (read: Fred Agnir) in understanding the construction of your cues. And not-so-technically-oriented peoples, like me!

Your price range can vary as you want it. There are cues out there for all kinds of prices. I would stick to cues under the $1000 range with maybe a couple "over the thou" if you're comfortable.

And people are always looking for a bargain, so be prepared. And bring your book for orders. If people like what you've got, they may want to customize a cue for themselves if they don't see what they want available.

Hope to meet with you next March!

Barbara

MadisonBob
09-06-2004, 01:46 AM
blackheart i,ve never been to vf but have had a lot of fellow cue makers go. they have told me low to mid level cues sell the fastest.also they said it is a good place to set up high level custom sells that can be finished thru out the year.i was headed that way last year then ended up going under the knife to have a 4 way bypass at the age of 39 years. this year i,am going to miss it again the cues we had ready have already sold.i,am heading towards tenn. this year and a few other places. put if i were you i would stay in that $400.00 to $1000.00 range.i hope whatever you decide you sell out of every cue you have and have a great time doing it. good luck blackheart!!!!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif madison bob

Fred Agnir
09-06-2004, 01:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> Help me out. I've been graciously invited to share a booth, at the VALLEY FORGE EXPO. It's kind of late for me, to make a lot of Qs of all price ranges. What price range cues are you looking to buy, at a retail show like this. In other words how much are you REALISTICALLY willing to spend at this show. THANKS...JER <hr /></blockquote> I think that it's important to showcase what you can do and what you will do. I mean, if you have a normal range of cues from $400 - $2000, then I think they need to be represented.

I don't think there's a certain window of price that represents the typical VF attendee, if that's what you're asking.

Fred