PDA

View Full Version : Useing inside english

Stretch
09-05-2004, 06:21 PM
On most angle shots i usualy use a little outside english. I find it helps the ball down in most instances (or it's just an aiming habit ) So naturaly when it came to up the rail shots i just shot most of them with outside english as well because i just got so use to aiming them that way. I found that when the object ball is tight to the cushion or just a little off useing outside english to make it is "touchy". Useing inside english....now that's been working real good! I just lay it in there and let the pocket gobble up the ball. It seems that the inside action helps the ob down the rail a lot better than the outside stuff. Sometimes you can miss the cut altogether and the cue ball will kick the ob down, or you'll be too thin but you'll throw it down. There appears to be a far bigger margin for error using inside english then on useing outside english for tight to the rail object balls. Positional considerations dictate how you work ol'whitey of course...but I'm like'n the inside stuff!

Does anyone out there have a preference for how they take on those nasty rail shots? Inside, outside, or centre ball. St

John in NH
09-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Hi Stretch,

You are exactly right outside english is sometimes referred to as helping english, what I mean by that is the angle of the shot can be reduced by using outside english, however on tight angle shots or rail shots as you have noticed the shot must be executed with center or inside english in order to simplify the shot, of course the deciding factor is where will the cue ball end up as a result of the shot.

In most pool games such as 8 ball or straight pool center ball (high or low) will be sufficient in pocketing balls and maneuvering the cue ball around for position, the only exception to this is 9 ball which will require more shot making ability, thus more helping (outside) english.

I'm assuming that your talking about 9 ball.

Regards,

John

Stretch
09-05-2004, 07:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote John in NH:</font><hr> Hi Stretch,

You are exactly right outside english is sometimes referred to as helping english, what I mean by that is the angle of the shot can be reduced by using outside english, however on tight angle shots or rail shots as you have noticed the shot must be executed with center or inside english in order to simplify the shot, of course the deciding factor is where will the cue ball end up as a result of the shot.

In most pool games such as 8 ball or straight pool center ball (high or low) will be sufficient in pocketing balls and maneuvering the cue ball around for position, the only exception to this is 9 ball which will require more shot making ability, thus more helping (outside) english.

I'm assuming that your talking about 9 ball.

Regards,

John

Hi John, and thanks for the reply. You summed it up quite nicely. I'm pretty comfortable useing the inside gear now but it wasn't always that way. The thing with getting used to aiming with a little "helper english" is that when you line up for inside english....it's like your miles away. You gotta have faith /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St.

<hr /></blockquote>

1on1pooltourneys
09-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Nick Varner shoots those shots with a center ball or slightly above hit. And i found that to be the most effective way to make the ball. I think all of us have a way we like to shoot certain shots. If u watch efren play, he will shoot thin cuts with low english which helps to hit the ball thinner. Its touch but if u practice it u will seee what i'm talking about.

MadisonBob
09-07-2004, 02:29 AM
stretch what,s up?hey what i,ve found is outside english throw,s the ball toward the hole making the pocket bigger and the ball smaller if that make since to you.Inside english is what i think is the hardest shot in pool because your throwing the ball away from the pocket making the ball huge and the pocket smaller not to mention the reverse throw that,s but on the object ball. Have you ever had the object ball and cue ball froze to the same rail? next time you run in to that shot try putting english on the cue ball on the rail side. That allows the cue ball to kind of slide down the rail hugging it making it much easier to pocket the ball.matter of fact on a bar box with fast cloth you can stroke the hell out of it and pull the cue ball around 3 rails making a ball in the other corner pocket.you,ve probaly seen mike massy do that on the big table what a stroke!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Madison BoB

SpiderMan
09-07-2004, 07:58 AM
Stretch,

There's also one other reason inside seems to help some folks pocket rail shots. When you use inside, the cueball squirt from the off-center hit tends to make you hit a little less ball and a little more rail. If you happen to be one who sometimes hits his rail shots a little too thick, a little uncompensated squirt will tend to put you back on target.

SpiderMan

Stretch
09-07-2004, 12:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MadisonBob:</font><hr> stretch what,s up?hey what i,ve found is outside english throw,s the ball toward the hole making the pocket bigger and the ball smaller if that make since to you.Inside english is what i think is the hardest shot in pool because your throwing the ball away from the pocket making the ball huge and the pocket smaller not to mention the reverse throw that,s but on the object ball. Have you ever had the object ball and cue ball froze to the same rail? next time you run in to that shot try putting english on the cue ball on the rail side. That allows the cue ball to kind of slide down the rail hugging it making it much easier to pocket the ball.matter of fact on a bar box with fast cloth you can stroke the hell out of it and pull the cue ball around 3 rails making a ball in the other corner pocket.you,ve probaly seen mike massy do that on the big table what a stroke!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Madison BoB <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Bob, thanks for the reply. Yes i saw Masey do that shot in the trick shot Championships on TV. He won. That's why he does it in compatition.....knowone else can do that!

Yes the o'l ob-cb frozen to the the rail shot. rail-side english is the way to go for sure. Taking that one step further..... freeze the ob on one side of the side pocket, and freeze the cb to the other side of the side pocket. This freeks people out because it's so easy to catch the side pocket "beak", (unless you sneekely press it in with your thumb first lol) but we would never do that........Where was i? oh ya. You make this shot by hitting low inside. The squirt keeps it clear of the beak and the inside brings it back. Think of it as a mini-swerve. I blay mini-swerves with a draw-drag stroke appropriate to the distance. It's easier to control then a hard swerve that powers through the arck because with a draw drag the swerve starts where the backspin wares off. So now all you need to do is give it the backspin it needs to start swerving where you want it to.....Did that make any sense? lol I don;t know, i just do it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St

Rod
09-07-2004, 12:21 PM
Yes I bump em with a little inside, there is more room for error. Having said that though, position dictates many times hitting the ball first rather than the rail. In this sense you'd better aim for the right contact point or your run gets stopped short. You know many people haven't a clue if they hit ball or rail first? I've taught some advanced players that didn't know.

Rod

Stretch
09-07-2004, 12:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Stretch,

There's also one other reason inside seems to help some folks pocket rail shots. When you use inside, the cueball squirt from the off-center hit tends to make you hit a little less ball and a little more rail. If you happen to be one who sometimes hits his rail shots a little too thick, a little uncompensated squirt will tend to put you back on target.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Great observation Spidey. Who here's guilty of hitting rail shots to thick by times?...me /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif IMO it's also very advantagious (been waiting all day to use that word /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif to use inside on thin cuts when the balls are fairly close to one another. Reason is your actually useing your cue to aim the inside ot the cueball to the outside of the object ball. You really get a good target line out of it. But don't shoot it hard! Stroke it smooth or you'll squirt the cue right on past......At worst you'll usually get a friendly kick off the first rail and hit it on the come back for a legal hit. Miss a thin cut with outside (it's easy to do when your aiming at air) and your toast. St