PDA

View Full Version : Graphite Cues?

nail
09-06-2004, 07:13 AM
I'd love to hear some opinions about graphite and/or composite cues. Are they any good compared to wood? It certainly seems that some type of modern composite material will eventually replace wood as the choice for cues, just as they have for many other previous wood products such as golf clubs, etc.. Thanks.

66goat
09-06-2004, 07:52 AM
They may be ok for some people, but you'll probably need to shoot with a glove if you get one. In my opinion, they just don't compare to the feel you get with wood. They "may" stay straighter longer and be less resistant to scratches and dings, but I don't ever see them totally replacing the wood cues. Plus the look of wood adds something as well. You just can't beat it. Interesting post. I'm interested in finding out what other people think.

Wood or Graphite - Take you pick. (http://www.9intheside.com)

highsea
09-06-2004, 12:05 PM
I used to have a graphite Cuetec. I put a hard tip on it and used it for 3C and breaking, and it was great. It was too stiff (for me) for regular pool.

-CM

yegon
09-06-2004, 01:03 PM
I like the look and feel of the wood

the composite cue would have to be much better to get me thinking about it, and I don't see that coming

really, I do not have an idea what could be improved on a good wooden cue

Stretch
09-06-2004, 05:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote yegon:</font><hr> I like the look and feel of the wood

the composite cue would have to be much better to get me thinking about it, and I don't see that coming

really, I do not have an idea what could be improved on a good wooden cue <hr /></blockquote>

There is NOTHING that anyone could manufacture that would be the equal of what it took nature millions of years to perfect. Shaped and formed by craftsmen, played in the hands of a master. The sound, the feel, the look. When i see graphite/aluminum/fiberglass or other hidious attempts at "progress" i get ill. i know, i know "play with crap, save a tree!". Well i already planted over a thousand friggin tree's in my time. They owe me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St

dg-in-centralpa
09-06-2004, 05:26 PM
You'll find that most people here prefer wood over graphite. Check the archives for more info. I have a graphite that I got for free and gave it to my wife. She's not very good and if she drops it, or something like that, no harm done. Personally I have wood, nothing less. The look, feel, and hit is different.

DG - jmho

SPetty
09-06-2004, 05:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote yegon:</font><hr> I do not have an idea what could be improved on a good wooden cue <hr /></blockquote>hahaha, reminds me of some quotes - can be found http://web.mit.edu/randy/www/words.html

<font color="blue">"Stocks have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau." -- Irving Fisher, Professor of Economics, Yale University, 1929.

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value." -- Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre.

"Everything that can be invented has been invented." -- Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.

"No flying machine will ever fly from New York to Paris." -- Orville Wright. </font color>

KGeeED
09-06-2004, 07:55 PM
Wood and only wood. But I guess it depends on what you learned with. Look at MLB. They specify wood and not aluminum or any other type of bat, but all other leagues allows aluminum. When they get to the big show they cannot hit.

yegon
09-06-2004, 11:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote yegon:</font><hr> I do not have an idea what could be improved on a good wooden cue <hr /></blockquote>hahaha, reminds me of some quotes - can be found http://web.mit.edu/randy/www/words.html

<font color="blue">"Stocks have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau." -- Irving Fisher, Professor of Economics, Yale University, 1929.

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value." -- Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre.

"Everything that can be invented has been invented." -- Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.

"No flying machine will ever fly from New York to Paris." -- Orville Wright. </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

yeah, one more comes to my mind about computer memory

640kb ought to be enough for anyone. -- Bill Gates (1981)

but I mean, looke at the pros how they do with the wood, if you don't play like them it's hardly because of the cue. On the other side I do not think that changing the cue would make them better, looks like more of a mental thing to me at their level.

66goat
09-07-2004, 04:15 AM
Well said chap, well said.
If you want to be good, you must use wood. (j. sands 2004)lol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif