PDA

View Full Version : Spot ' The last two'



woody
09-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Does anybody else play 'The Last two' spot in their local 9 Ball tournaments? This spot falls right behind even up, I find it to be a brutal spot. What is everybodys opinion? Thanks!

Cueless Joey
09-06-2004, 08:44 PM
It's not that brutal at all.
Giving the wild 8-ball is more brutal.
With the last two, the other guy has no money ball except the 9 and the other ball left.
A solid B player giving a B player the last two isn't much of a spot.

Rod
09-06-2004, 08:49 PM
Well it's just in front of the call 8. It's only brutal if you think about it. There lies the problem.

recoveryjones
09-07-2004, 06:22 AM
When a pro gives an A+ the last two it's not much of a spot.Usually when an A+ can run down to the eight, the majority of the time he'd also be able to get shape on the nine and complete the runout.

When you get down to two players in the B+ and B range (especially when one is sandbagging...LOL)the last two can definitly make a difference.RJ

Deeman2
09-07-2004, 06:27 AM
I don't really consider the last two a real spot unless the players are weak. About the only time it comes into play seems like when your opponent leaves you bad on the eight.

Just my opinion.

Deeman

nhp
09-07-2004, 03:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> It's not that brutal at all.
Giving the wild 8-ball is more brutal.
With the last two, the other guy has no money ball except the 9 and the other ball left.
A solid B player giving a B player the last two isn't much of a spot. <hr /></blockquote>

How big the spot is depends on the how good the player giving it is, and how good the player getting it is. A "B" player giving up the last two against a lower "B" player or a "C" is actually a huge spot. Anyone below a "B" giving the last two to anybody is giving the nuts. Now, Efren giving the last two to Archer is the same as playing even. Efren giving Archer two games going to 7 is the absoloute stone cold nuts. Get it? When you can run racks and racks, giving balls is a trick, it's the same as playing even. Giving games to other players who can run racks and racks is MUCH MUCH MUCH tougher. I don't know if it was Johnny Archer, but one top pro did ask Efren for 2 games going to 7 for a few thousand and Efren said "no way".

woody_968
09-07-2004, 04:39 PM
Two games going to 7 means you have to beat them 7 to 4. That is almost 2 to 1, and to a decent player is absolute suicide.

Bob_Jewett
09-07-2004, 04:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> Two games going to 7 means you have to beat them 7 to 4. That is almost 2 to 1, and to a decent player is absolute suicide. <hr /></blockquote>
It depends on the player. There were lots of players at the World Championship that either Earl or Efren could give two on the wire in a race to seven. There really is that much difference among the pros. If the two players play a very long set and one wins 58% and the other 42%, then 7-5 is close to a fair spot.

Rod
09-07-2004, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Two games going to 7 means you have to beat them 7 to 4. <hr /></blockquote>

Or put another way, the race is 7 to 5. When I saw that at first I thought your adding machine broke. LOL I see what you mean though.