PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert or Capone

Misel
09-07-2004, 03:12 AM
Hello,
My friend is deciding to get one of the two cues.For the same money he can get a plain Capone cue or a 4 point with veeners Gilbert cue.What would you recommend to him and why?Thanks for help,

Misel

Pizza Bob
09-07-2004, 06:48 AM
I'm going to have to take the standard "cop-out" here: How a cue plays and feels is subjective. Your friend, if possible, should hit or play with both cues and buy the one he is most comfortable/confident with. I know both Andy and Mike and they both build fine cues. I've never done anything beyond hit a few balls with a Gilbert, but I played steady with a Capone for 5 years. Still play with one on a fairly regular basis. I think the hit and the workmanship are both there with a Capone (I have four of them), for me. I believe that Andy is especially well known for his J/B cues and isn't as widely known, overall, as Mike - which, I think, means Mike's cues will probably hold their resale value better. Don't know if that's the case in Europe. Just my $.02 worth.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

#### leonard
09-07-2004, 07:02 AM
I have to agree with how the cue hits. I have played with many fine expensive cues but the cue that stands out in my memory was a $12 two-piece cue with a Black Diamond tip on it.

Charlie "Mumbles" Ravita bought it off a fellow passing through Albany at Scotty's poolroom on Broadway in Albany, across from the Old Train Station.

You could be at one end of the table and the objectball at the other end and draw the cueball back with a slight snap of the wrist. The most amazing cue I ever played with, that opinion was also shared by Joe Canton, 1951 National Champion. ####

Cueless Joey
09-07-2004, 07:10 AM
A Zylr or a Joey!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Hi, Misel.
I'd go with a Gilbert but a little thinner.
Capone's cues are beauties but I just don't like cored-thru cues. They hit too soft for me.
I'd go with a Gilbert but prolly with no veneers. I'd go with 6 staggered points and no veneers. I don't like regular sycamore veneers. They're too soft for my liking.

dooziexx
09-07-2004, 07:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> A Zylr or a Joey!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Hi, Misel.
I'd go with a Gilbert but a little thinner.
Capone's cues are beauties but I just don't like cored-thru cues. They hit too soft for me.
I'd go with a Gilbert but prolly with no veneers. I'd go with 6 staggered points and no veneers. I don't like regular sycamore veneers. They're too soft for my liking.
<hr /></blockquote>

If you dont like dyed sycamore veneers, get recut or milled points instead. But they cost more.

woody_968
09-07-2004, 08:47 AM
Like PB said it depends on what type of hit he likes. I have never played with a Capone, but I did hit some with a Gilbert. The Gilbert was just way too stiff for me. But if he likes a stiff he he will love the Gilbert, assuming they all have that stiff of a hit.

RUNaRAK
09-07-2004, 08:54 AM
Just to give another opinion of a Gilbert. I have one and absolutely love it. I have also owned many fine, Cognoscenti, Blud, Richard Harris, Southwest..etc..
I can honestly say that I prefer my Gilbert over any of them. Mine does not have a very stiff hit but then again, the feel is different for every player. I can only attest for my tastes and I really like my Gilbert.
Cannot give an opinion on the Capone, never hit with one /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Fred Agnir
09-07-2004, 09:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> I'd go with a Gilbert but a little thinner.
I'd go with a Gilbert but prolly with no veneers. <hr /></blockquote> What does "cored thru" cues mean?

Gilbert cores his forearms.

Fred

Fred Agnir
09-07-2004, 09:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Misel:</font><hr> Hello,
My friend is deciding to get one of the two cues.For the same money he can get a plain Capone cue or a 4 point with veeners Gilbert cue.What would you recommend to him and why?Thanks for help,

Misel <hr /></blockquote>Many people ask about what they should buy. I think simplicity says that he should buy what he likes. He can't go wrong with either choice.

That being said, he should download and read the July/August 2004 InsidePool Magazine article on Andy Gilbert (Cue Makers Corner).

Fred

Misel
09-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Hi,
I would like to thank all of you for your answers they were very informative.I think he,ll get the Gilbert because he likes stiff cues.

Thanks a lot,
Misel

Misel
09-07-2004, 01:33 PM
Hi Fred,
Can you tell me how can he download that article from the inside pool site?

Thanks a lot,
Misel

Sid_Vicious
09-07-2004, 02:19 PM
I tried a used Gilbert some few years ago, I certainly did not need another cue...it made everything I shot at so I didn't even dicker with the guy, I bought it. It was a BJ, dark beautiful wood with no wrap, 4 points, spectacular points BTW. If that's possibly the cues line of Andy's you are looking into, I'd suggest to jump on it. They're fine hitters. One thing though, the jump section doesn't really work. I use it as a play cue, retired it from breaking. Just too nice a cue to be throwing toward a pack of balls(IMO) sid