PDA

View Full Version : CC Won First Match !!!

Troy
09-07-2004, 07:13 AM
Way to go Chris !!!!! CONGRATULATIONS !!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

trailboss
09-07-2004, 07:52 AM
That is good news Troy! Thanks for posting. Is there a link to the open somewhere? Finding news on the open is difficult.

PQQLK9
09-07-2004, 08:12 AM
www.azbilliards.com (http://www.azbilliards.com)

woody_968
09-07-2004, 08:25 AM
wooooooohooooooooo!!!!!

Way to go CC!

yegon
09-07-2004, 12:13 PM
congratulations CC, keep it up

as I have seen the next match will be against Niels Feijen, so good luck in that match

Karatemom
09-07-2004, 04:11 PM
WAY TO GO, BABE! We are so pulling for you here. Now that you've got the hardest match under your belt, go finish them all off!!!

Good luck and we love you!

Heide ~ 7 days left

Scott Lee
09-07-2004, 05:52 PM
Way to go Chris! Keep up the great shooting!

Scott

www.poolknowledge.com (http://www.poolknowledge.com)

Karatemom
09-07-2004, 09:29 PM
As thrilled as I am that CC won his first match, it's been 2 1/2 hours since the beginning of his second match and I just can't take it anymore. If he won't call me and fill me in on what's going on, will someone please. There is no way I can sleep nights unless I know what's up. The suspense is killing me!!!

Heide

crawdaddio
09-07-2004, 10:27 PM
Congrats, bro /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

AzHousePro
09-07-2004, 10:28 PM
Neils won 11-3. Just got a bunch of results from Virginia. Both players from the AzB forums lost too.

Mike

Rod
09-07-2004, 10:47 PM
Thought that might be a tough one for CC, or anybody for that matter. It's ok Chris, now you can just go out and play.

Rod

AndreaWilson
09-07-2004, 10:57 PM
Way to go Chris!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a good thing you taught him everything you know Heide. I can't imagine the stress. It's bad enough to sit an watch, but to not know at all could only be worse. Good Luck!!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Steve Lipsky
09-08-2004, 07:52 AM
My friend Nick drew Neils in the first round last year. I could only sit and watch helplessly as Neils ran rack after rack. It was silly. As good as Neils plays, when he uses the Sardo the game of nine-ball becomes a joke. My friend never had a chance to get in the match. I think Neils ran like a 6 pack and a 3 pack in that match. Guys just don't put up numbers like that without a Sardo.

Parica did the same thing to me in the same tournament. Break, make the same two balls, position on the 1. It's very discouraging, because you feel (as you're in the chair) as if you're being cheated.

Whenever they use the Sardo (which should be never), I think they should at least make it alternating break.

Get 'em on the B side Chris!!!

- Steve

Barbara
09-08-2004, 08:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr>
Whenever they use the Sardo (which should be never), I think they should at least make it alternating break.

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>

I totally agree with you Steve. I hope CC at least had a chance for the match.

Barbara

Barbara
09-08-2004, 10:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote AzHousePro:</font><hr> Neils won 11-3. Just got a bunch of results from Virginia. Both players from the AzB forums lost too.

Mike <hr /></blockquote>

Mike,

Are you at the Open? Am I finally going to meet you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara

onepocketchump
09-08-2004, 04:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> My friend Nick drew Neils in the first round last year. I could only sit and watch helplessly as Neils ran rack after rack. It was silly. As good as Neils plays, when he uses the Sardo the game of nine-ball becomes a joke. My friend never had a chance to get in the match. I think Neils ran like a 6 pack and a 3 pack in that match. Guys just don't put up numbers like that without a Sardo.

Parica did the same thing to me in the same tournament. Break, make the same two balls, position on the 1. It's very discouraging, because you feel (as you're in the chair) as if you're being cheated.

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>

The old saying goes 'be careful what you wish for because you might get it'. Players bitched about the rack forever until someone did something about it and now they can't stop bitching. Steve, I know that you are a jam up player but I have to disagree with you.

The pros did in fact post the same or better numbers of racks run before the advent of the Sardo. Neils Feijen ran 15 racks in the Netherlands a while back without a Sardo. Johnny Archer ran 13 racks without a Sardo, athough he did have a Bustamante rack boy in that set :-) We have all heard and read reports of the players who ran this siz pack and that nine pack and that set out well before the Sardo.

If the Sardo makes it easy then it makes it easy for everyone and the logical conclusion is that the player with better skills, consistency and concentration will win more often when they are both hitting the same rack each time.

Chris got to 3 which means that he got to break. If the Sardo makes the break that easy then Chris had the same opportunity to put a string of outs back on Neils.

You know as well as I do that sometimes one player will find the sweet spot where everything comes together on the break and it won't be the same place for both players. And this is with or without the Sardo rack. I can sit and watch Neils Feijen break in the same two balls all day long, Neils can show me how he hits the cueball and chances are I won't be able to get the same break he does from the same spot.

I think the Sardo works. Too well unfortunately, as it really seperates the pros with consistency from those without consistency. What possible downside is there to having both players start the game from the exact same position? Surely one of the upsides is not having to worry about getting a bad rack.

My 02cts,

John

onepocketchump
09-08-2004, 04:27 PM
P.S. I agree with alternating breaks. Like Buddy said, 'if someone is going to beat me in a race to eleven then I am going to get to swing at them at least five times'. ON the other hand, one of the exicting thing about pool is the fact that it is the only sport, using winner breaks, that one player can beat another player without the loser ever getting to play. This is either a huge negative or a huge positive depending on how you see it. I personally like the stories where one guy runs a bunch of racks and the opponent gets back on him and runs them right back.

Of course, in alternating break it is exciting to see each player hold serve and run out on their break. Then it comes down to who is going to crack first or who is is going to get a bad roll.

Guess I am just ambivalent.

John

Barbara
09-08-2004, 04:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote onepocketchump:</font><hr>
I think the Sardo works. Too well unfortunately, as it really seperates the pros with consistency from those without consistency. What possible downside is there to having both players start the game from the exact same position? Surely one of the upsides is not having to worry about getting a bad rack.

My 02cts,

John <hr /></blockquote>

Sorry John, but I think the Sardo rack makes things too convenient and too easy and stupidly repeatable.

Randomness should be part of the game.

And don't even go there how Steve Tipton racks the balls in the WPBA tournies.

Barbara

Barbara
09-08-2004, 05:00 PM
Okay, John, now I see this post.

I agree, it should be alternate break with the Sardo rack. Either that, or no Sardo at all.

Barbara

Troy
09-08-2004, 06:29 PM
Just mentioning the SARDINE GIZMO makes my blood pressure go up !!!!!
No Sardo please... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy

Karatemom
09-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Just got the call from Wendy! He won hill-hill tonite. He didn't feel much like talking, but Wendy filled me in.

Heide

PQQLK9
09-08-2004, 07:07 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Great!

Leviathan
09-08-2004, 08:55 PM
Oh yeah! Gutsy little devil!

Alan /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
09-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Ditto...sid

stickman
09-09-2004, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the update, Heide! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim

onepocketchump
09-09-2004, 01:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote onepocketchump:</font><hr>

My 02cts,

John <hr /></blockquote>

Sorry John, but I think the Sardo rack makes things too convenient and too easy and stupidly repeatable.

Randomness should be part of the game.

And don't even go there how Steve Tipton racks the balls in the WPBA tournies.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

But I guess I don't understand. When you say randomness do you mean that gaps between the balls are acceptable? Should other players have the right to rack the balls loosely to insure that no one gets the same rack each time?

And if it really does make it easy and stupidly repeatable then doesn't that mean that it is easy and repeatable for all players? Would you want to win against Allison if you knew that she was getting bad racks that made it next to impossible to break well and you were getting good racks which spread out nicely?

All I mean about the Sardo is that it makes the beginning of the game the exact same for each player. In virtually every other sport I can think of all players start off on equal terms. If one player can make the same thing happen over and over on the break then it's called consistency on the player's part. After all, the cue ball and the rack are both completely inert until the player strikes the cueball.

I honestly think that the Sardo's only real use IS for tournament pool. Fun players could care less. People who play pool for a living should be concerned about the rack and whether they are getting a good one or not.

I have never heard of it happening on the WPBA Tour but I have heard plenty of stories from male pros about rack mechanics in the pro ranks. I have learned how to doctor a rack and how to spot a doctored rack. I once "won" $200 off a guy who had a break like Bustamante that he would not be able to make the nine hit a rail off my rack just to prove a point to him. He didn't, for ten racks at $20 a pop the nine barely moved. I didn't make him pay up and showed him what to look for.

The point is that you can't deny that the Sardo gives each player the same rack each time and that is at least fair.

John

CarolNYC
09-09-2004, 02:33 AM
This is the BEST news I've heard!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

WAY TO GO CHRIS-I'm so proud of you!!!!!

Carol

CarolNYC
09-09-2004, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Whenever they use the Sardo (which should be never <hr /></blockquote>

Ha HA HA HA!!!!!!!!

Carol~laughing at 5 am /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SPetty
09-09-2004, 05:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Just got the call from Wendy! He won hill-hill tonite.<hr /></blockquote>Um, you got the call from SPetty, who pushed the "Dial" button as the 9 ball was falling, then Wendy took the phone while CC packed his stuff. It was a very long match and there were players waiting for the table.

He plays today at 3 p.m. against Marty Ciccia. The winner of that match plays Earl Strickland.

Bobby Pickle is still on the winner's side.

Leviathan
09-09-2004, 05:57 AM
Thanks for the news, SPetty. Hope you and the rest of the wild bunch are having a good time away from the pool, too. Be sure to eat some local seafood while you're up there--oh, my.

AS

Troy
09-09-2004, 07:04 AM
YAHOOOOOO !!!!!
Way to go Chris !!!

PQQLK9
09-09-2004, 07:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Just got the call from Wendy! He won hill-hill tonite. He didn't feel much like talking, but Wendy filled me in.

Heide <hr /></blockquote>
The brackets at AZ Billiards shows that Chris won 11-6. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

woody_968
09-09-2004, 07:17 AM
Man this makes my day /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Steve Lipsky
09-09-2004, 08:28 AM
Hi John. In the spirit of healthy debate, now I will disagree with you! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote onepocketchump:</font><hr> 1. The pros did in fact post the same or better numbers of racks run before the advent of the Sardo. .... We have all heard and read reports of the players who ran this siz pack and that nine pack and that set out well before the Sardo.

<font color="blue">1. I, for one, do not believe most of the (non-Sardo) rack-run stories I have heard. Obviously some of them happened. But all I can say is that I've been playing around some top-notch players for about 8 years now, and I've seen dangerously few large runs. By "large", I am talking about anything over five racks. I am not saying I've never seen them... I'm simply saying they are very rare. I've watched matches where nobody runs a three-pack and some "witness" afterward will go up to the winner and tell him he ran a five-pack. People sometimes see what they want and disregard the rest (no ball on break, have to push, played safe and got ball-in-hand, etc...). I've never seen this phenomenon expose itself more than in 9-ball rack runs, for some reason.</font color>

2. If the Sardo makes it easy then it makes it easy for everyone and the logical conclusion is that the player with better skills, consistency and concentration will win more often when they are both hitting the same rack each time.

<font color="blue">2. Very few of the non-pros have access to or even much practice with the Sardo rack. Your contention that it should be an "equalizer" is just wrong. No poolroom within 100 miles of here would let me use one on one of their tables, even if I wanted to. Even the professionals who might be in the same boat as me in that respect probably play in more than one tournament a year which uses the contraption. So because Chris doesn't choose to be a travelling professional, playing in multiple tournaments throughout the year which employ the Sardo, he is put at a disadvantage because he's not familiar with it?</font color>

3. What possible downside is there to having both players start the game from the exact same position?

<font color="blue">3. They are not starting from an equal position at all. Players with Sardo experience are breaking a familiarly-acting rack, and players without it are not.</font color>

4. Surely one of the upsides is not having to worry about getting a bad rack.

<font color="blue">4. Good players, especially those playing in the US Open, know what a bad rack looks like. They know how to give them and they know how to spot them. This is the lamest excuse I've heard in support of the Sardo. Anyone that plays with a Sardo (remember, they are only used in professional tournaments) knows how to avoid the pitfalls the Sardo was supposedly invented to prevent.</font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

When I was playing Parica last year, and when my friend was playing Neils, we both just felt cheated. You rack the balls, sit down, and there's nothing to even root for. It's not like the corner ball wasn't going to go this time, lol. It's not like he wasn't going to get position on the 1 this time, lol. You sort of have to sit there hoping the guy has a heart attack, which is not usually the way I like to win a game. I'd much prefer my opponent simply doesn't make a ball on the break.

- Steve

P.S. John, if you want to continue this, let's bring it to a new thread... this one should remain CC's.

Steve Lipsky
09-09-2004, 08:29 AM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep it up Cassman...

- Steve

9 Ball Girl
09-09-2004, 10:45 AM
Yup! It was definitely a nailbiter! His next match is at 3 PM today. And he won last night on the hill. They were put on the clock 'cause the match was going on 2.5 hours. Tom in Cincy was keeping the eye on the watch for Scott Smith and he almost, just almost had to call a foul on Chris right when he was going to shoot the 9 ball. Tom can tell you better... Whew!

Stretch
09-09-2004, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Yup! It was definitely a nailbiter! His next match is at 3 PM today. And he won last night on the hill. They were put on the clock 'cause the match was going on 2.5 hours. Tom in Cincy was keeping the eye on the watch for Scott Smith and he almost, just almost had to call a foul on Chris right when he was going to shoot the 9 ball. Tom can tell you better... Whew! <hr /></blockquote>

LORD THUNDERIN JEEZE!!! GO CHRIS GO!! I can't tell you how happy i am to here CC, our own CC! is doing at the Open. He's a man on a mission i tell ya. Even if he dosn't make another ball i'm as proud as punch.

Thanks Wendy for all the updates, your doing an AWSOME job. And give my best wishes to all the lucky, happy, partyin, cavortin, drinkin, pool playin merry band of CCBers up there.

Your oh-so jealous Northern cousin. Stretch

Wally_in_Cincy
09-09-2004, 11:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr>...Thanks Wendy for all the updates, your doing an AWSOME job.... <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah thanks Wendy. I'll be there tomorrow afternoon, Lord willin'.

onepocketchump
09-09-2004, 01:02 PM
RE: Sardo. Steve, your points are well taken. They make sense and I am now convinced that your position is the right one.

RE: Chris - Keep KICKING ASS! It's time another "underdog" took this puppy down. I hope that it is you, AZ's John "Rude Dog" Morton, and adopted Arkansan, Voytek in the top three in any order.

John

Steve Lipsky
09-09-2004, 01:41 PM
Hey John. Things are very rarely black or white, but I think in the Sardo's case, the game was conclusively better without it. There were some good things about its theory, but when put into practice it caused more problems than it solved.

Goooooooooooooooooooo Chris!!!

- Steve