PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever ran across the company Smart-cue???

66goat
09-07-2004, 05:01 PM
Has anyone heard of Smart-Cue? I will add their website link to the bottom of this post. I have received several requests from them asking me to sell their product on my website. It seems like a pretty decent concept for people who like these kind of cues, but without knowing anything about them, I've been hesitant to respond. These are not high dollar cues by any means, but there seems to be a lot of people out there that are more into the wild looks of their cue as opposed to how good it shoots. To each his own, right? If you've had any experience with them please let me know. Check out their site here www.smartcue.com (http://www.b2bsmartcue.com/cgi-bin/index.pl)

Hmmmm?

woody_968
09-07-2004, 05:14 PM
I dont know anything about Smartcue, but I can tell you when I ran my small shop in a local room I made most of my money off of J&J, Players, and other lower end cues.

Troy
09-07-2004, 05:29 PM
A couple years ago my employer (pool room owner) talked me into responding to an ad by SmartCue. They are based in Taiwan. I was put on their e-mail list and we received a free cue (complete with titanium ferrule). I subsequently asked them to remove me from the mail list and still get crap from them even after numerous requests for them to delete my name.

Troy

houseman
09-07-2004, 05:55 PM
I was a dealer of these cues for a while. only sold the free one I received. well made but seemed to be front heavy to me. awesome for the break. only problem I had with them was you had to buy 12 cues at a time, I cant tie money up like that and not be able to sell them. And they still bug me to buy them for a year or more now.

66goat
09-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Thanks for all of the quick responses. Not looking too good so far. I appreciate all of the warnings.

highsea
09-07-2004, 06:09 PM
I've never played one, but I've seen them around.

Since this is basically a marketing decision, I would look at it like this. They discount their cues on the web. You sell on the web. If you sell out of a shop or a room, you can mark them up to retail (keystone). Any online sales will compete directly with their own site.

If all your sales are web sales, you need to cut a deal so you can make a profit and still be competitive with their pricing. Otherwise you are just giving them free advertising.

If they will offer the product to you at a price point where you can make a reasonable margin (like 30%), then go for it, what have you got to lose? There is definitely a market for low-end cues.

Nothing wrong with filling out your line, I'm sure the manufacturers you currently deal with expect you to make a profit. If Smartcues will do the same, you have nothing to lose by adding another page on your site, assuming the supply is reliable.

Another consideration is this; do they expect you to carry an inventory? Or do you need to carry one to provide good service (buffer the supply)?

As I'm sure you realize, there is a cost associated with this. Your margins need to reflect this cost. 30% annually is a good starting point. If you carry $10,000 in inventory for one year, you should anticipate $3,000 in carrying costs.

The more consistent the supply, the lower the inventory requirements, and the associated inventory costs. You should strive for 6 turns a year or better, to maximize profit on inventoried products. Plan for 2, shoot for 6. Once you know the turnaround, you can fine-tune this.

-CM