PDA

View Full Version : Steve Mizerak Tribute Cancelled

9 Ball Girl
09-08-2004, 08:53 AM
From AZB:

The Steve Mizerak tribute scheduled for Friday has been cancelled due to Mizerak's inability to get to the event from his home in Florida. Another special event scheduled for this week, the ring game, has been moved from Wednesday to Thursday night at 9pm. No lineup is confirmed yet, but rumored competitors include Johnny Archer, Corey Deuel, Efren Reyes and Alex Pagulayan.

woody_968
09-08-2004, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the updates Wendy, sorry to hear that about Mizerak and hope his house is ok.

I hope to watch the ring game over the internet. I have a copy of last years second ring game and its one of my favorite nineball matches to watch.

Barbara
09-08-2004, 10:00 AM
Well hopefully I'll get to watch it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Someone's going to have to explain the "ring game format" to me.

Barbara

Ross
09-08-2004, 12:27 PM
In these ring games, each player starts out with a set amount of money, say $5000. They start out playing for a set amount/game, and then increase this every hour or so. Whoever wins the game collects that amount from all of the other players. For example, at Derby City, they started out at $300 game, went to $500/game after an hour, then $800 or something like that, keep increasing every hour until match is over. If a player has less than the needed amount for the game, they bet what they have - they are "all in." They play until all are broke except one. Winner takes all - $30,000 in case of 6 man ring game with 5k buy-in.

Ring game rules:

10-ball. Player1 shoots until he misses or fouls, then player2 shoots, and so on. No defensive shots allowed - you have to go for every shot. Scratch: next shot is with ball-in-hand behind the headstring. Any foul: incoming player has option of not taking the shot and letting you shoot again.

I think that covers most of it.

Barbara
09-08-2004, 12:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> Ring game rules:

10-ball. Player1 shoots until he misses or fouls, then player2 shoots, and so on. No defensive shots allowed - you have to go for every shot.

<font color="blue">So if the player shooting misses and leaves the next player hooked, the incoming player can make the previous player shoot again? Is this a foul?</font color>

Scratch: next shot is with ball-in-hand behind the headstring.

Any foul: incoming player has option of not taking the shot and letting you shoot again.

<font color="blue">How long can that go on?</font color>

I think that covers most of it. <hr /></blockquote>

Sorry about all the Qs, I'm just trying to figure out the strategy here. And thanks for taking the time to explain.

Barbara

AzHousePro
09-08-2004, 12:47 PM
The fun thing about ring games is that the only strategy is pure offense. Safeties don't help you since you would only be hooking the next player and not the player after that. Safeties are not usually allowed although late in the game you will see players playing two way shots trying to make the ball but leave it rough if they miss.

Mike

Ross
09-08-2004, 01:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> Ring game rules:

10-ball. Player1 shoots until he misses or fouls, then player2 shoots, and so on. No defensive shots allowed - you have to go for every shot.

<font color="blue">So if the player shooting misses and leaves the next player hooked, the incoming player can make the previous player shoot again? Is this a foul?</font color>
<font color="red">No. Only after one player fouls (usual rules for fouls) can the next player make him shoot again. </font color>

Scratch: next shot is with ball-in-hand behind the headstring.

Any foul: incoming player has option of not taking the shot and letting you shoot again.

<font color="blue">How long can that go on?</font color>
<font color="red">I wasn't being completely clear. If the following player lets the previous player shoot again, and the player manages to make a ball on a legal hit, he continues shooting until he misses. So you aren't passing a shot back to the previous player, you are passing a turn at the table back to him. This means that after a foul, if you are the next player you have to make a judgement call. Sometimes you let the guy shoot again and he runs out the rack (or more) on you.

An easier explanation just occurred to me. In a ring game a foul is treated like a pushout in regular 9-ball.
Which reminds me, there are no pushouts in ring games (except for desguised ones, where the guy acts like he is going for the shot but deliberately fouls the cue ball into a pushout position).

</font color>

I think that covers most of it. <hr /></blockquote>

Sorry about all the Qs, I'm just trying to figure out the strategy here. And thanks for taking the time to explain.

<font color="red">No problem, Barbara. The winner-take-all ring game is an exciting format, and with the right promotion and production could even be popular with lay audiences on TV. If I had a bunch of money and time, I would love to produce a made-for-TV, high production value, 100K ring game along the lines of World Series of Poker. </font color>

Barbara

<hr /></blockquote>

woody_968
09-08-2004, 02:03 PM
Yup, the offensive tone of a ring game is fun to watch, you see them go for balls they would normally play safe on. Jump cues are allowed which adds to the offensive nature of the game.

Lots of excitement when players are all-in! And you get to see several of the top players at the same time.

If ya cant tell I really like this format, but not as much as straight pool /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9 Ball Girl
09-08-2004, 02:20 PM
I don't know what part of Florida Steve Mizerak is in, but if Kato and his crew flew in from Florida this morning, why can't the Miz?

Anyone know when SPetty is due to get in today? I haven't seen her.

GeorgeV
09-09-2004, 09:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> I don't know what part of Florida Steve Mizerak is in, but if Kato and his crew flew in from Florida this morning, why can't the Miz?
<hr /></blockquote>

I thought the same thing. Something is missing from this picture, something big. Either that or Mizerak and the event organizers are letting down all the people involved in his tribute in a very big way.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Popcorn
09-09-2004, 09:42 AM
How about he lives where they just got hit pretty good with a storm. He has a house and business he is responsible for and there is another storm on the way. What the hell does he care about a stupid tribute, that was probably nothing more then a Berman money making scheme in the first place.

tateuts
09-09-2004, 10:00 AM
I was under the impression that he is seriously ill. It's possible he couldn't make the trip, and the transportation issue was an excuse.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-09-2004, 10:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> How about he lives where they just got hit pretty good with a storm. He has a house and business he is responsible for and there is another storm on the way.... <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, he surely has suffered at least some damage in all this.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> .... What the hell does he care about a stupid tribute, that was probably nothing more then a Berman money making scheme in the first place. <hr /></blockquote>

Hey c'mon, he needs the dough /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tito
09-10-2004, 10:40 AM
ok, hi wally you have been register 2 years and a month and you have written 5471, well I must to say, how you do that?, here in Spain we have some forum about pool, the person who write most than other received some gift of pool, but BD donŽt do that. To me is something impressive, how many time you spend in from the pc?

I hope u spend that time to improve your game of pool if you play, of course, ok wally. IŽll see you again.

See u.