PDA

View Full Version : Ring Game Update

tateuts
09-08-2004, 04:12 PM
I just got this in from BCN..

<font color="blue"> The Ring Game from the U S Open has been reschedule to Thursday Sept 9 @ 9 PM ET. The planned event will be a $20,000 Winner-Take-All match with 6 former U S Open Champions or World Champions, LIVE from the U S Open Center Table.

Billiard Club network is Adding $5000 to the pot to sweeten the deal for the players, who have yet to be finalized. The first eligible 6 players posting the $2,500 entry fee are in the game.

Players interest in playing are asked to contact Jim Wych, Scott Smith or Barry Behrman at the Open ASAP.

The rules and format for the Ring Game are slightly different from the Derby City Classic event. The bet will begin at $100 and escalate $100 for each additional rack. For instance, Rack 10 will be a $1000 bet. Other rules and formats changes will be established and communicated with the players prior to the event.

Tune in to watch the event live at www.billiardclub.net (http://www.billiardclub.net) @ 7 PM Thursday.

</font color>

They must have lowered the amount because players were having a hard time coming up with the entrance fee. Not everyone has that kind of gamble.

Chris

Ross
09-08-2004, 04:42 PM
If they do the money that way it's going to be a very short match. They are starting out with $3,300 each and will be playing for $1000 a game by the tenth game and $1500 by the 15th game??? The whole match will be over in an hour and a half or so. Obviously they haven't thought this through.

tateuts
09-08-2004, 05:40 PM
Ross,

A lot of it depends on the back and forth. Don't forget, they will win some too. So, for example, as players are eliminated, theoretically the final two will have 10K in their pot each, maybe playing for $2000 a game - they keep going until one is broke.

I'm guessing at 3 hours maybe.

Chris

Ross
09-08-2004, 11:39 PM
Good point, but it probably won't be exactly even when they get to two - 15k for one and say 5k for the other is more likely. So I'll give you 2 to 2 1/2 hours. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

But the other problem with this setup is some players will likely be out without having gotten a single decent shot. There are 6 players, and each player who doesn't win in the 1st 8 games is out (100+200+300+400+500+600+700+800=$3600). As you know, in a 6 man ring game it is not at all uncommon to go 8 games without getting a decent shot. In fact you may only get a couple of turns at the table in those 8 games, and both of those you may be snookered.

Contrast this to the Derby city, where they started with more money and played for an hour at $300/game, then an hour at $500/game, and so on. The Derby City lasted 5 or 6 hours, IIRC. Every player had their chances, and the build up was really exciting. BcN may not want it to go that long, but they have made it quite a bit of a crap shoot. Maybe they think this will get more likely someone will put their money against Soquet, Efren, etc.

tateuts
09-09-2004, 09:04 AM
I am surprised they had to postpone it and can now advertise only 4 players. The entrance fee is only $2500.

So far they have Alex, Archer, Morris, and Souquet. I kind of like Archer - he just shoots so straight under the gun.

Why wouldn't someone back an Efren or Schimdt? Or how about Tony Robles or Shannon Daulton? They are both playing super
right now...

Did you subscribe to it? I think you can buy it individually if you want to.

Chris

tateuts
09-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Ross,

That was the shortest Ring Game in history. It was over before it began.