PDA

View Full Version : Predator shaft opinions

05-14-2002, 12:17 AM
The following quote was taken from:
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=ccbboard&Number=12117& Search=true&Forum=ccbboard&Words=predator&Match=En tire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&M ain=12020

Your friend was lucky. I sent a predator shaft that broke the ferrule and split the shaft. predator did not fix it and I got the Shaft! If you know what I mean.

Still dont like predators although I fell for it again and purchased one for a Lucasi cue.....That was dumb....

Harold

new message:
Hi Harold.
Did you notice an improvement with the Predator shaft compared tho the Lucasi shaft? Have any of you noticed no improvement when switching from you regular shaft to a Predator shaft? I read the ferrule on the Predator is thin, soft and possibly doesn't hold up well when having a new tip put on. Have any of you Predator users had any problems with the ferrules? If the Predator ferrule breaks for some reason can it be replaced? Would it have to be replaced with a Predator ferrule or could a thicker, harder, stronger ferrule be used without affecting the Predator's performance.

I should be receiving my Lucasi Tue or Wed. I was thinking about maybe later purchasing a Predator shaft for it. Or instead I could always purchase an entire second Lucasi for less then the cost of a Predator shaft. Thanks for any info and opinions.

WaltVA
05-14-2002, 07:49 AM
Hi, Eddie - The Predator ferrule is made softer, thinner, and lighter on purpose as part of the design to lower tip mass and thus lower deflection. It may require more care when replacing a tip, but an experienced q-man shouldn't have a problem. Predator will replace a ferrule for $40 if necessary; I put a hard WB tip on my 99 LE and have used it exclusively for breaking for years with no problems.

I bought the Predator because of the low-deflection design, but didn't see that much difference and went back to my Schon with a standard shaft after a couple of weeks. One of my buddies had a similar experience; a couple more LOVE the Pred shaft and wouldn't trade for anything. I think it has a lot to do with individual stroke mechanics.

Good luck with the new Lucasi - hit 'em straight!

Walt in VA

05-14-2002, 09:00 AM
It is my understanding and experience that a predator shaft has a much stiffer hit,thana regular shaft made by Joss or DP etc. I have a Predator shaft for a Joss, DP, Mucci. and the large wood bolt used by Mc Dermit. ( Predator's are made in my hometown and I got these 5 years ago at a good price. Note: I don't play with any of them because the hit is too stiff for my soft stroke.

05-14-2002, 12:41 PM
Thanks guys. This is what I was looking for. I mostly only read from all the players that say Predator improved their game. I have a weak stroke. And on Ebay I read that one cue maker has been switching the Predator ferrule and using a stronger one. And he says it hasn't affected the deflection. I think there is still one of his experimental shafts still for sale on ebay.